Looking like the ACC is better than the Big10 | Syracusefan.com

Looking like the ACC is better than the Big10

Crusty

Living Legend
There is not one top notch team in the entire Big 10. Looks like a shadow of their former self!

Middle Tennessee St 49 Georgia Tech 28. The ACC sucks outside of Florida State and Clemson. The B1G sucks just as much but atleast has a better than 2-10 BCS record.

A lot of parity in college football.

Everybody beats everbody - except Alabama.

A lot of parity in college football.

Everybody beats everbody - except Alabama.

When will we be the everybody on the left hand side?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When will we be the everybody on the left hand side?

That's a great question.

I thought we answered it last year against WVU and a few months earlier against KState.

Here's a better question. When will we have a great athlete at QB?

Watching Rettig at QB for BC. He looks very solid. Really love Nassib, but we need a more athletic QB - our OL needs a guy who can put some fear in the defense when they pin their ears back.

It's been years since we had an athlete at that position - I'm tired of it!

Get somebody with feet, an arm and a decent enough brain to play the friggin position!!!!

That's a great question.

I thought we answered it last year against WVU and a few months earlier against KState.

Here's a better question. When will we have a great athlete at QB?

Watching Rettig at QB for BC. He looks very solid. Really love Nassib, but we need a more athletic QB - our OL needs a guy who can put some fear in the defense when they pin their ears back.

It's been years since we had an athlete at that position - I'm tired of it!

Get somebody with feet, an arm and a decent enough brain to play the friggin position!!!!

Nassib is the least of our problems. In fact, he's not a problem.

Nassib is the least of our problems. In fact, he's not a problem.

Bigger problem than most think - in my opinion.

Feet are needed to run this offense - he doesn't have them.

Not accurate long, gets happy feet, has a hitch, doesn't throw a catchable pass.

Why am all over this guy today? I don't honestly don't know.

But I'm ready for somebody new and I would like to see Terrell Hunt step up. And I know it won't happen - Ryan is the guy for 2012.

Not accurate long, gets happy feet, has a hitch, doesn't throw a catchable pass.

But I'm ready for somebody new and I would like to see Terrell Hunt step up. And I know it won't happen - Ryan is the guy for 2012.

Nassib's passing numbers are better than that Rettig guy and even his rushing numbers are better. Rettig is on the negative side.

A kid that is 4th in the country in passing and 7th in total offense means the issues are elsewhere.

Your problem is the staff not Nassib because your real issue is that you want the option offense of DeLeone and this staff isn't going to run it.

Nassib's passing numbers are better than that Rettig guy and even his rushing numbers are better. Rettig is on the negative side.

A kid that is 4th in the country in passing and 7th in total offense means the issues are elsewhere.

Your problem is the staff not Nassib because your real issue is that you want the option offense of DeLeone and this staff isn't going to run it.

Ding! :)

What a bunch of BS. You're way off base.

In fact I really, really like the offense we're running.

And the fact is that our offense is a read option scheme that works best with an an athletic QB. There is nothing wrong with our scheme- I have no complaint at all in that regard.

You and your cohorts on this board have an almost pathological occupation with DeLeone and seem to view everything on the basis of George and Paul - whether its Ron Thompson's injury or the reason we have struggled for the past few years. And you want to characterize my observations through that misguided prism. And you're dead wrong.

Ryan is tough and smart. His stats are great but I don't think they tell the whole story.

If you really think Ryan is one of the top four QBs in the US you're fooling yourself.

We have a lot of issues but a more atletic guy at QB would help cover some of those issues.

Nassib is probably the MOST functional piece on this entire team. To say he is a problem shows a lack of understanding on the true issues with this team.

We have a lot of issues but a more atletic guy at QB would help cover some of those issues.

Ahhh, now I got it. No matter how well a QB plays, if the team stinks, its the QB's fault for not being even better to cover up everyone elses issues on the team.

Ahhh, now I got it. No matter how well a QB plays, if the team stinks, its the QB's fault for not being even better to cover up everyone elses issues on the team.

Bees- Ryan didn't play well week.

He was responsible for three bad TOs.

And seemed unnerved by the Gophers defense.

Bees- Ryan didn't play well week.

He was responsible for three bad TOs.

And seemed unnerved by the Gophers defense.

I swear you don't watch the same game as most of the rest of us. Nassib has been very, very good this year.

No he wasn't.

Oh yes he was ... didn't you see Nassib tip that first pass up in the air that he threw to himself? What game were you watching bees? :)

I agree on this. Forget the numbers Nassib just doesnt have it. Sure he has posted some phenom numbers but he lacks that intangible element that the good ones have. Im not sure if it is a lack of vision or pocket awareness but he just doesnt seem to have a good feel for what is going on around him. I would rather have more of an ath under center a qb who can improvise and make something happen than a kid who is somewhat robotic. Again i cant put my finger on it as it is a combination of many small things but at the end of the day he hasnt won and seems to be more of a cog in the machine than the leader of it.

I agree on this. Forget the numbers Nassib just doesnt have it. Sure he has posted some phenom numbers but he lacks that intangible element that the good ones have. Im not sure if it is a lack of vision or pocket awareness but he just doesnt seem to have a good feel for what is going on around him. I would rather have more of an ath under center a qb who can improvise and make something happen than a kid who is somewhat robotic. Again i cant put my finger on it as it is a combination of many small things but at the end of the day he hasnt won and seems to be more of a cog in the machine than the leader of it.

Again, I can't believe that I am even raising the issue, because the guy has gotten as much out of his god given ability than nearly anybody I have seen at Syracuse University - other than Nunes.

I don't think it's a mystery.

I just don't think he's athletic enough to cover for a mediocre OL and good but not explosive skill players.

And when I say "cover" I am really referring to the ability to truly dominate a game or a portion of a game.

Ryan will set many passing records this fall - maybe all of them. But it may not be enough for what this team needs to move forward.

Again, sorry for this - I didn't mean to even raise this issue - I was prompted by watching so many dynamic QB performances yesterday.

I swear you don't watch the same game as most of the rest of us. Nassib has been very, very good this year.

No. Actually I think you must not be watching very carefully.

Yes, Ryan has had some very strong performances this fall - he has been very, very good at times. Against NW, without being pressured, he looked great.

But against Minnesota the deficiencies in his game were identified and exploited by the Gophers. The Minny coaches made clear after the game that that was their strategy.

Ryan does not have the feet to make an overly aggressive defense pay the consequences for rushing with abandon.

He throws passes that are difficult to catch - the first pass of the game was a good example of that.

He has a tendency to fumble when he runs or is being tackled.

And he gets jittery and hitches his throws when he is put under a lot of pass rush pressure.

That's what we saw last week.

If you didn't see it, you must not have been watching the game, but waited for the end game stats.

And stats can be very misleading.

This whole team has issues including Nassib. Special teams are still a nightmare, Linebackers are still way undersized and against power rush teams will get abused, zero game breaking players, inconsistent play calling, dozens of missed tackles every game, zero QB pressure, continous injuries to postions we dont have depth etc etc etc. Nassib is for down the list of issues hes on a different page.

This whole team has issues including Nassib. Special teams are still a nightmare, Linebackers are still way undersized and against power rush teams will get abused, zero game breaking players, inconsistent play calling, dozens of missed tackles every game, zero QB pressure, continous injuries to postions we dont have depth etc etc etc. Nassib is for down the list of issues hes on a different page.

Yes, there are many issues.

Play calling is at the bottom of the list - and always is at the bottom of the list.

And yet the typical fan on boards like this one normally make it the top concern or a top concern.

Yes, there are many issues.

Play calling is at the bottom of the list - and always is at the bottom of the list.

And yet the typical fan on boards like this one normally make it the top concern or a top concern.

Play calling is not the top issue but it is an issue not matter how many times you and a few others say it isnt. When your getting stuffed on the goaline for 8 straight plays against a 1AA team theres a problem. When its third and long and you run the ball 2-3 times in the same game theres a problem. When you take zero shots down the field versus Minnesota thats a problem. When Jerome Smith is gashing the teams defense in the first quarter and then doesnt get a touch until mid way through the third thats a problem.

Play calling is not the top issue but it is an issue not matter how many times you and a few others say it isnt. When your getting stuffed on the goaline for 8 straight plays against a 1AA team theres a problem. When its third and long and you run the ball 2-3 times in the same game theres a problem. When you take zero shots down the field versus Minnesota thats a problem. When Jerome Smith is gashing the teams defense in the first quarter and then doesnt get a touch until mid way through the third thats a problem.

When you don't get short yardage that normally means you didn't execute the play properly. I think it's pretty rare that teams fool other teams in that situation. But, I have to be honest, I didn't see Stony Brook so it's inappropriate for me to comment on that situation.

But I gather that from your living room you can tell what play will work in a given situation? You have the ability to read the defense in that instant from your couch? Did you have inside information on the Minny defensive schemes before the game? Did you have a copy of the SU offensive game plan?

I don't mean to be flippant, but think about it.

How could you or I have any idea why a particular play was called?

That's why I try to leave play calling out of it - I just can't possibly know the details of such strategy.

So, I may get upset that the end run in short yardage against Minny didn't work at all, but I have to tell myself that there was a reason why the play was called and that I do not have access to that information.

When you don't get short yardage that normally means you didn't execute the play properly. I think it's pretty rare that teams fool other teams in that situation. But, I have to be honest, I didn't see Stony Brook so it's inappropriate for me to comment on that situation.

But I gather that from your living room you can tell what play will work in a given situation? You have the ability to read the defense in that instant from your couch? Did you have inside information on the Minny defensive schemes before the game? Did you have a copy of the SU offensive game plan?

I don't mean to be flippant, but think about it.

How could you or I have any idea why a particular play was called?

That's why I try to leave play calling out of it - I just can't possibly know the details of such strategy.

So, I may get upset that the end run in short yardage against Minny didn't work at all, but I have to tell myself that there was a reason why the play was called and that I do not have access to that information.

Not going for a win on 4th and goal from 6 inches isn't execution, it's balls and confidence.