Looking like the ACC is better than the Big10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking like the ACC is better than the Big10

When you don't get short yardage that normally means you didn't execute the play properly. I think it's pretty rare that teams fool other teams in that situation. But, I have to be honest, I didn't see Stony Brook so it's inappropriate for me to comment on that situation.

But I gather that from your living room you can tell what play will work in a given situation? You have the ability to read the defense in that instant from your couch? Did you have inside information on the Minny defensive schemes before the game? Did you have a copy of the SU offensive game plan?

I don't mean to be flippant, but think about it.

How could you or I have any idea why a particular play was called?

That's why I try to leave play calling out of it - I just can't possibly know the details of such strategy.

So, I may get upset that the end run in short yardage against Minny didn't work at all, but I have to tell myself that there was a reason why the play was called and that I do not have access to that information.

I get your point and trust me I certainly am not the leading authority on play calling but some things are obvious when you have played and watched enough football over the course of your life. If you want to run that sweep to the outside against Minny fine but thats a play for PTG not your North South running back in Jerome Smith. Same with the Stony Brook game, Hackett was tryign to make a point in both of those goaline stands in that he was going mano e mano and was going to pound it in no matter what. A naked bootleg or even a regular boot and Nassib could have walked into the endzone. Ditto for play action and having the RB or FB run a simply out or quick drag around the goaline they would have been wide open. My issue is that we make play calling decisions that make no sense to the obvious fan. Be it the TE reverse last year to Provo in the redzone to the slant pass from the one yard line to a true Fresh WR who had never caught a pass when we had a healthy Lemon and West available. This is without even mentioning the fact that we took multiple shots down the field in teh first two games with a lot of success and then zero the next two against lesser opponents. Again its not the biggest factor but the playcalling has been unpredictable and not in a good way.

Nassib's passing numbers are better than that Rettig guy and even his rushing numbers are better. Rettig is on the negative side.

A kid that is 4th in the country in passing and 7th in total offense means the issues are elsewhere.

Your problem is the staff not Nassib because your real issue is that you want the option offense of DeLeone and this staff isn't going to run it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Aye yi yi come on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yes, he was.

So there!

If you think that first INT was on Nassib then I want what you are drinking ... honestly. It was an out pattern to the wide side of the field that literally bounces off of West's hands ... you just need to get over it.

That's a great question.

I thought we answered it last year against WVU and a few months earlier against KState.

Here's a better question. When will we have a great athlete at QB?

Watching Rettig at QB for BC. He looks very solid. Really love Nassib, but we need a more athletic QB - our OL needs a guy who can put some fear in the defense when they pin their ears back.

It's been years since we had an athlete at that position - I'm tired of it!

Get somebody with feet, an arm and a decent enough brain to play the friggin position!!!!
we've got the guy in Broyld I guarantee it. The question is will he ever get the chance to show it. If we're unfortunate enough not to be in bowl position with 7 losses I hope and pray they start playing for the future and give him or Hunt a shot. Tone down the playbook if need be and see what he/they can do. As Bo Jackson said (ya know the one with the bad hip :) , just do it!

we've got the guy in Broyld I guarantee it. The question is will he ever get the chance to show it. If we're unfortunate enough not to be in bowl position with 7 losses I hope and pray they start playing for the future and give him or Hunt a shot. Tone down the playbook if need be and see what he/they can do. As Bo Jackson said (ya know the one with the bad hip :) , just do it!

Actually I think he said "Bo knows!" ... apparently he didn't know he had a bad hip ... pity his career was blown on such an easy thing to diagnose ... yes heavy sarcasm ... but I digress.

Here's a better question. When will we have a great athlete at QB?

Forgot to ask you, why does SU need a great athlete at QB while there are many many good to great teams out there that don't?

Forgot to ask you, why does SU need a great athlete at QB while there are many many good to great teams out there that don't?

Because you can then blame Nassib for poor genetics ... I have no idea why that is so hard for you to follow bees ... it's all Nassib's fault ...

There are QB's who can throw and there are QB's who can throw. There's also QB's who can run and throw. In the college game I think what OrangePA is saying is that he'd prefer a QB who can run and throw.

So do I.

There are QB's who can throw and there are QB's who can throw. There's also QB's who can run and throw. In the college game I think what OrangePA is saying is that he'd prefer a QB who can run and throw.

So do I.

Nice to have a preference. I too would prefer a McNabb. But that's not what he is saying completely. He's also saying we aren't winning because of our current QB. Yet plenty of teams win without dual threat QB's. Its not a prerequisite to winning. He also wants all the other issues, on the field and on the sidelines to be covered by the QB. Our problems are elsewhere not at QB.

rrlbees...Can't disagree...I don't have a problem with Nassib.

Who?

Nice to have a preference. I too would prefer a McNabb. But that's not what he is saying completely. He's also saying we aren't winning because of our current QB. Yet plenty of teams win without dual threat QB's. Its not a prerequisite to winning. He also wants all the other issues, on the field and on the sidelines to be covered by the QB. Our problems are elsewhere not at QB.

No.

You're incorrect.

My point was that a QB who has good feet can, for example, relieve an OL by preventing the defense from attacking aggressively, by affording the offense an 11 on 11 blocking scheme while running the ball and by gaining yards when the OL breaks down.

A QB who throws a more catchable pass helps WRs who have decent not great hands to catch the ball more easily.

I guess that's where I was going.

Who?

Come on, you watch college football on Saturdays. Teams win all the time with pocket passers who aren't the run or pass athletic type. We lost to 3 teams who beat is with pocket passers.

Come on, you watch college football on Saturdays. Teams win all the time with pocket passers who aren't the run or pass athletic type. We lost to 3 teams who beat is with pocket passers.

You mean pocket passers who don't get happy feet, or who throw long accurately or who throw catchable balls?

Yeah, I have seen some of those kinds of QBs and they can be very effective.

But they typically have the skills that Ryan does not have - noted above - and they normally have better OLs than we do.

No.

You're incorrect.

My point was that a QB who has good feet can, for example, relieve an OL by preventing the defense from attacking aggressively, by affording the offense an 11 on 11 blocking scheme while running the ball and by gaining yards when the OL breaks down.

A QB who throws a more catchable pass helps WRs who have decent not great hands to catch the ball more easily.

Well Nassib is on the plus side of rushing yards while that athletic phenom, Rettig, that you drooled over yesterday is on the negative side. Must be he can't get out of his own way. I have no idea what you mean by an 11 on 11 blocking scheme.

As to a catchable ball it's catchable enough to be completing 67% of his passes which is as good as or better than some of our "athletic" QB's of the past.

Well Nassib is on the plus side of rushing yards while that athletic phenom, Rettig, that you drooled over yesterday is on the negative side. Must be he can't get out of his own way. I have no idea what you mean by an 11 on 11 blocking scheme.

As to a catchable ball it's catchable enough to be completing 67% of his passes which is as good as or better than some of our "athletic" QB's of the past.

BTW, for all the pressure teams have gotten on us this year, especially on the right side, Nassib has only been sacked 6 times in 4 games. Good for 34th in the country. Not bad. So I guess he can get out of the way just fine.

This has been a really funny thread.

I for one think its awesome that OPA has taken a flamethrower to the kids in the program.

Awesome.

BTW, for all the pressure teams have gotten on us this year, especially on the right side, Nassib has only been sacked 6 times in 4 games. Good for 34th in the country. Not bad. So I guess he can get out of the way just fine.

part of that is because he's so scared in the pocket he gets rid of the ball as soon as he feels any kind of heat.

part of that is because he's so scared in the pocket he gets rid of the ball as soon as he feels any kind of heat.

Yet still completes 67% of his passes.

I for one think its awesome that OPA has taken a flamethrower to the kids in the program.

Awesome.
100%.

I've said it before but if I'm going to hold someone responsible it's the adults cashing paychecks, not the student athletes.

100%.

I've said it before but if I'm going to hold someone responsible it's the adults cashing paychecks, not the student athletes.

The timing is perfect. For the first time in 3 1/2 years Marrone is facing a little heat, so now it's time to unload with both barrels on the players.

The timing is perfect. For the first time in 3 1/2 years Marrone is facing a little heat, so now it's time to unload with both barrels on the players.

Bingo!

i think you and otto are both being a tad bit dramatic here considering orangepa said he's getting the most out of his ability.

No.

You're incorrect.

Tyler Wilson won last year ... he now has happy feet after getting slapped to kingdom come and back ... can't even beat ULM ... missed the Bama game because he was beaten up pretty badly ... now they can't even put more than 10 points up on A&M ... or would you rather have an athlete like BJ Daniels who runs around all day then just randomly throws the ball out of bounds on 4th down ... AJ McCarron, Matt Barkley, the Baylor kid ... can't remember his name and quite of few other "pocket passers" do quite well ... its all about their support group. Give Nassib McCarron's OL and weapons and see how he does ... I do think Nassib has to work on his touch but he is a pretty good college QB and shouldn't shoulder all the blame for this team's faults ...