Loss doesn't hurt us, actually only helps us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Loss doesn't hurt us, actually only helps us

SC is a good team. They'll be at least a 5 seed in the Dance. They'll probably knock off UK in the SEC during their matchup. Threat to win the SEC.

We played horribly. Probably the worst that we could possibly play. I'd rather lose this type of game early in the year and learn from it. Many lessons that the team can learn from today.

Our cupcakes were extra fat this year. Didn't do anything to get us ready for a very good team. Hopefully we come out better against Wiscy. However, I wouldn't be shocked if we lay another stinker in that game. Madison is a very tough place to win.
This loss did nothing to help us. Monmouth lost to these guys in OT.

This loss did nothing to help us. Monmouth lost to these guys in OT.
And had SC played Monmouth on Saturday, I think they would have won by 20. They built on that win and improved.

I get that you're trying to find a positive with the loss but it doesn't make sense to me that the loss helps this teams. Whatever we would have learned during the loss we would have learned from a win or in some game in the future.

I really don't care what anybody thinks, but we're a better team than SC and I'm just sick of hearing about any close game or loss that the team we played is "really good, best in their crappy conference, bad match up". All those things mean are we were piss poor and got lucky to get a win.
Michigan State goes through this almost every year. Going all the way back to this game:
Temple Stuns No. 5 Michigan State, 60-59

The Spartans went to the Final Four that year. And Temple made the Elite Eight.

Michigan State goes through this almost every year. Going all the way back to this game:
Temple Stuns No. 5 Michigan State, 60-59

The Spartans went to the Final Four that year. And Temple made the Elite Eight.

There is absolutely no correlation between a team losing early in the year that the loss made them better later in the year. Are you saying that Michigan State wouldn't have had the same results if they won the game against Temple?

There is absolutely no correlation between a team losing early in the year that the loss made them better later in the year. Are you saying that Michigan State wouldn't have had the same results if they won the game against Temple?

Agreed--it is a truism. Playing tough competition CAN be beneficial, win or lose, if you improve as a function of playing those teams. It can also help by having your team be more battle tested, so that they don't freeze up [as many of our players did Saturday] when the game's on the line and you need to execute properly. Instead of the moment being too big, teams that are battle tested typically won't wilt under such pressure or shirk away from trying to make a play.

But a loss only "helps" if said improvement happens. Without that, the loss is of no benefit.

There used to be SC gear you could buy that said--You Can't Beat Our Cocks.

a loss takes the pressure off a being undefeated. any athlete can attest to that even if they dont want to. the aspirations to go undefeated were there but now its relax time

a loss takes the pressure off a being undefeated. any athlete can attest to that even if they dont want to. the aspirations to go undefeated were there but now its relax time

Pressure and relax? you so could have kept up the inappropriate portions of this thread with both of those words...

I said "kept up"... hahhahahahah

Better to South Carolina who's 6-0 and 2-0 vs ranked teams than to , SJU or G Town.

Until Jimmy finds a way for this team to have an "inside game", we will struggle mightily against tough m2m defenses. SC wasn't that good, we made em look good. It was absolutely embarrassing the disparity of points in the paint vs. SC. We run the same stale half-court offense that is predictable to defend. Yes, we have a plethora of outside shooters, and we'll be fine against the cupcakes, but we are void a low-post game. Again. I'm still waiting for Roberson to catch the ball in the post and make a legit move to the basket, besides taking a dribble away from the hoop and taking a long jumper. DC/Chukwu are zeroes on offense and Chukwu, especially, is a liability on defense. I've never seen someone 7'2" so out-of-position, going for ball-fakes, and committing silly fouls, while rarely ever blocking/altering a shot. Please transfer! I'd rather see TT play over these guys, any day -- at least he is more aggressive. Lydon is finally connecting from the outside, and will be fine, but unfortunately he has no true post presence either. For a team with tremendous height, what the heck do they do in practice, besides setting picks, cuz it sure isn't working on their low-post game... and that's gotta fall on coaching. DC and TR have had 4 years and still don't have one.
@Wisc is a tough game, regardless, for any team, but I'd at least like to see some offensive adjustments, knowing they will be just as aggressive on defense as SC.

People love using Michigan State for the lose early to good teams, get better late scenario. The funny thing about that is Izzo apologized to his team this year for having too difficult a schedule.

Izzo apologizes to Spartans for tough schedule
I'm guessing the travel has as much to do with the apology as the quality of opponents. They're still going to make the tournament and they're probably going to go on a nice run.

And it really worked last year when they lost to a junk team in the tournament.
Congratulations, you found an exception to the rule. Of course, they were the favorites to win it all last year. Perhaps that pressure had something to do with it. That and taking Middle Tennessee lightly. We're fortunate we didn't have to face them.

Agreed--it is a truism. Playing tough competition CAN be beneficial, win or lose, if you improve as a function of playing those teams. It can also help by having your team be more battle tested, so that they don't freeze up [as many of our players did Saturday] when the game's on the line and you need to execute properly. Instead of the moment being too big, teams that are battle tested typically won't wilt under such pressure or shirk away from trying to make a play.

But a loss only "helps" if said improvement happens. Without that, the loss is of no benefit.
This entire post was a truism.

Again, what's the cooralation that the loss helped with anything?

Are you saying that if UK lost a game earlier in the season instead of losing to Duke while undefeated in the tournament that they would have won it all?

Every national championship team loses games prior to the tournament and rarely is a team undefeated entering the tournament. I'm not sure how you can say loss helps or hurts anybody because in all reality there is no data supporting that it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom