Louisville and the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville and the ACC

Let's not act like Football is the be all end all. Louisville was the highest profitable basketball program. The ACC (like all conferences) values money
Basketball money is a drop in the bucket compared to football money. Even for the most profitable basketball program. Football is what got them into the ACC. Hoops was just a way of placating Duke, UNC, etc. I'm not saying hoops doesn't bring in money, it does. But in terms of money in college sports, football IS the be all, end all.

Basketball money is a drop in the bucket compared to football money. Even for the most profitable basketball program. Football is what got them into the ACC. Hoops was just a way of placating Duke, UNC, etc. I'm not saying hoops doesn't bring in money, it does. But in terms of money in college sports, football IS the be all, end all.

upload_2017-9-27_12-31-54.png

Not sure how true this because it's from a friend of a friend, but Louisville is most likely going to be gone from the ACC.

I was talking in generalities, but I can see by my wording that may not have been clear. Louisville is an outlier. In general, football revenue far outpaces basketball revenue.
View attachment 111091
Average may not be the right way to assess this. there are 100 odd football teams, and there are nearly 400 basketball teams. the bottom 300 basketball teams will kill the average revenue numbers. The bottom 50 football teams will hurt the football number, but not nearly as much.

Average may not be the right way to assess this. there are 100 odd football teams, and there are nearly 400 basketball teams. the bottom 300 basketball teams will kill the average revenue numbers. The bottom 50 football teams will hurt the football number, but not nearly as much.
Most definitely. And I thought of that. I just don't have the time to put those numbers together. :(

Not sure how true this because it's from a friend of a friend, but Louisville is most likely going to be gone from the ACC.
Totally not a shot at you or your friend's friend, but I can't see that happening. I'm sure the Carolina mafia (who held their noses when admitting Louisville) is not happy. But I think it would take a lot more than this to force a team to leave a conference.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Rick Pitino pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. :p

Haha I'm with you guys. Too much money lost to make a team leave for this, just relaying what I heard.

I was talking in generalities, but I can see by my wording that may not have been clear. Louisville is an outlier. In general, football revenue far outpaces basketball revenue.
View attachment 111091
The NCAA keeps the NCAA tourney money. If you divided that up among a certain number of schools it would look different. I agree football is the money maker though.

When Petino gets fired, who is the replacement?
Since you asked a serious question I'll give you a serious answer. No FN idea. Donovan? Doubtful. UL may stay away from anyone with a Pitino connection which leaves out Cronin, plus you can likely count out any Pitino connection from UK also like Pelphrey, Smith, Ford etc. Best guess is UL hires a caretaker for one season. Not any of the current staff, they're all stained. Crean, Gottfried, Romar and JT III come to mind. Not doing anything and if theyre successful they might get the gig. If they go this way I'd expect they do a year long study of the best young coaches in the country and grab one.

Since you asked a serious question I'll give you a serious answer. No FN idea. Donovan? Doubtful. UL may stay away from anyone with a Pitino connection which leaves out Cronin, plus you can likely count out any Pitino connection from UK also like Pelphrey, Smith, Ford etc. Best guess is UL hires a caretaker for one season. Not any of the current staff, they're all stained. Crean, Gottfried, Romar and JT III come to mind. Not doing anything and if theyre successful they might get the gig. If they go this way I'd expect they do a year long study of the best young coaches in the country and grab one.

Romar is the associate head coach at Arizona.

View attachment 111091
That chart covers revenues. What about expenses? If we're looking at net income, the gap would be significantly less.

View attachment 111091

That info is good too but since everyone seemed to strictly be speaking about Louisville I just wanted to point out that they aren't in the ACC strictly for football

That info is good too but since everyone seemed to strictly be speaking about Louisville I just wanted to point out that they aren't in the ACC strictly for football
Agreed

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Rick Pitino pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. :p
So what does that make us?

Some longtime ville posters expect them to be booted and that their basketball program will never recover from the sanctions that are coming.

No way they get booted. Ped. State stayed in BIG, USC stayed in Pac12...They will get a new coach, new AD and be a top 10 program in no time again. Great fan base, facilities, and in a hot bed of talent.

I would say there is a lot more to play out before the ACC starts making those kind of decision i.e. kicking out schools. Let's say this thing hits 3,4 ,5, 6 more schools in the ACC. Are they going to kick all of them out ? Don't start cleaning up the damage until after the storm is finished.

Some longtime ville posters expect them to be booted and that their basketball program will never recover from the sanctions that are coming.
Most longtime ville posters are delusional.

Papa John drives the bus. They aren't going anywhere.

"Papa John" actually resigned from their athletic board earlier in the year.

Wonder if those monster donations have stopped as well. Interesting.

If I recall, he had a falling out with Postel and Jurich right before the board resignation in April/May - something about the athletic and academic interplay at UL, which I believe included pulling of an athletic-earmarked donation. Pretty sure he's a pretty big UK donor, too - though I could be mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom