Louisville Attendance | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Attendance

You don't seem to understand that the fan base is getting older, a lot older. The lack of parking, the walking up the Hill (yes, I know how lame that sounds), and then the general blah atmosphere in the Dome except for a handful of times per year is why the attendance keeps declining.

Blackouts aren't going to help a 60+ year old walk up that hill, and then walk up about 144 steps without a hand rail to get to their seats in the upper tier. They should have benches and oxygen tanks halfway up the upper tier.

And even on those "good" game days when the Dome is jumping, you can't walk through the hallways and can't get into a bathroom. I drink less beer than I used to at games because I had seats near the top of the Dome and just don't want to make the walk down and back at halftime to take a leak.

P.S. - I am going to the game on Friday to thank the seniors and show support for the program. But I did get seats in the lower level.
The rest has been discussed, but just pointing out that there are in fact handrails in the 300s now.

It's helped people get up (NCST fan with a broken leg a couple weeks ago) but also seems to be a hinderance for drunken idiots riding it down.

Whenever I have done that, I've missed the start of the game, because the closer you get to game time, the slower the traffic on Colvin. It's only 1 lane in each direction. If it was 2 lanes in each direction, that would make it a lot better.

I'm going to give the Shaughnessy's shuttle a shot on Friday. In the past, I've never even been able to find the supposed shuttles that ran from various places in Armory Square on a game night.
We take the bus from skytop every game - only time we miss kickoff is when we tailgate too long and take the bus too late. Just like the armory bus, just need to leave on time.

The real opportunity is the first season after the first renovation. If you give the lookie loos get a good product to view...they’ll come back.

So far from what they've shown, it looks like half-measures and less.
No seats. No real improvement to the concourses without any structural change to the building in phase 1. They obviously can't do anything about improving parking nearby, and keep taking it away.

I mean, just compare the Dome to a Chiefs game. The Chiefs' stadium is nicer, has actual seats, easier parking, easier highway access, better food and better atmosphere.

And it was voted the WORST stadium experience in the International League.
Yes, moving it downtown - that ship has sailed. But even out on the Northside in the middle of nowhere, it's STILL a better experience than going to a game at the Dome.

The sooner the administration understands that, the better. I've seen them build at least 5 new buildings on campus the past 10 years or so. At least, that's what it seems like. I get that the Dome is in the middle of central campus and that real estate is so valuable to the university's future growth prospects.

But it just seems that the people in this town always think in half-measures. Go all-in and do something great for once!

We take the bus from skytop every game - only time we miss kickoff is when we tailgate too long and take the bus too late. Just like the armory bus, just need to leave on time.

So seriously, not being snarky, how long before gametime do you leave? An hour from Manley? Is it 1:15 or 1:20 before the start of a game from Skytop?

Maybe I am just leaving it until too late. I don't mind the walk from Comstock if I don't have to park so far away nearly as much as walking up the hill from Marshall St. or from the old train drop point.

The rest has been discussed, but just pointing out that there are in fact handrails in the 300s now.

It's helped people get up (NCST fan with a broken leg a couple weeks ago) but also seems to be a hinderance for drunken idiots riding it down.

One of my best friends has seasons for hoops in the top row of 309 or 310, right at halfcourt.
No railings on those stairs, unfortunately.
Death waits for me in around Row I everytime I see a game with him and his group.

Sorry, this is unbelievably off base. Attendance has gone up this season. Over the next few years, with the Dome renovation and with a football team poised to be in and around the top 25, you can reasonably expect attendance to continue to rise. Dropping prices means raising prices as demand goes up.

It's a shortsighted overreaction to one game. Not to mention they've had two weeks to sell the "ranked team" thing. When you have a full offseason, things get a lot better.

Syracuse has 40% higher revenue selling 35,000 tickets at $40 than 50,000 tickets at $20.

Only if ticket price is the only source of revenue.
Look, nobody is saying just give thousands of tickets away to every game.
But right now the pricing is not rational.
It could be much better, and could produce better crowds AND more gross revenue.

Concessions to me, are the biggest issue. Stuck in 1989

We should be so lucky!
The food is out of the 1950s. Uncooked hot dogs. Seriously. Every single time. Yum!
The absolute worst pizza, on par with crap frozen pizza.
"Nachos" is chips and melted Velveeta cheese and about 5 jalapenos.
The big pretzels are cold and stale.
I could go on, but that's the GOOD stuff.

Its simple and we don't need a formal committee to realize what's needed. the ticket prices are way to high. not seasons which, even after the donation, the season tickets are $600-800. great seats and you know what you are getting up front . no complaints . That said , look at what the secondary market and even the dome BO tickets are going for . as a season tix holder, yes, pay roughly $100/game and that's ok given they are great seats and come understandably with the donation.

Then, we get to the individual game pricing asking for >$100 for 200 and 300 level seat which is just not an option for most lookimg for single game seats. then, 3rd party outfits get the tix and its a disaster.
I bought 4 tix in 212 row b and c for the UNC game for $35 each from the Dome box office. I didn't see any for more than that in 200 level.

So far from what they've shown, it looks like half-measures and less.
No seats. No real improvement to the concourses without any structural change to the building in phase 1. They obviously can't do anything about improving parking nearby, and keep taking it away.

I mean, just compare the Dome to a Chiefs game. The Chiefs' stadium is nicer, has actual seats, easier parking, easier highway access, better food and better atmosphere.

And it was voted the WORST stadium experience in the International League.
Yes, moving it downtown - that ship has sailed. But even out on the Northside in the middle of nowhere, it's STILL a better experience than going to a game at the Dome.

The sooner the administration understands that, the better. I've seen them build at least 5 new buildings on campus the past 10 years or so. At least, that's what it seems like. I get that the Dome is in the middle of central campus and that real estate is so valuable to the university's future growth prospects.

But it just seems that the people in this town always think in half-measures. Go all-in and do something great for once!

$$$

I don’t get the Dome hate. There isn’t a bad seat in the house for football, and the weather is perfect for every game.

I really don’t get people knocking the food. It’s a football game. Are Dome Dogs really worse than <insert any stadium in America here> hotdogs?

It’s like the people who complain about the crowds. It’s s football game. There’s supposed to be a crowd.

I don’t get the Dome hate. There isn’t a bad seat in the house for football, and the weather is perfect for every game.

I really don’t get people knocking the food. It’s a football game. Are Dome Dogs really worse than <insert any stadium in America here> hotdogs?

It’s like the people who complain about the crowds. It’s s football game. There’s supposed to be a crowd.

Perfect beisdes when its hot outside than its 10 times worse in the dome. lol

We should be so lucky!
The food is out of the 1950s. Uncooked hot dogs. Seriously. Every single time. Yum!
The absolute worst pizza, on par with crap frozen pizza.
"Nachos" is chips and melted Velveeta cheese and about 5 jalapenos.
The big pretzels are cold and stale.
I could go on, but that's the GOOD stuff.
I must be weird because it seems like I’m the only one who couldn’t care less about concessions. I do my absolute best to never have to leave my seat. The way I see it, im paying for the game, not access to overpriced bad food that actually takes me away from the game. I’ll go four hours without eating and get zero stress from the concourses/concessions.

I must be weird because it seems like I’m the only one who couldn’t care less about concessions. I do my absolute best to never have to leave my seat. The way I see it, im paying for the game, not access to overpriced bad food that actually takes me away from the game. I’ll go four hours without eating and get zero stress from the concourses/concessions.
Before kickoff.

And if you bring a five and six year old to the game, they tend to want something to eat or drink during those four hours.

from my experience you can leave 20min before kickoff and make it and its not the bus ride thats the issue its how many others are arriving late and thats no different than any other venue.

dome food is fine if you are not expecting 20 things to eat. i do wonder why they dont have burgers instead of only dogs/hot suasages but that will be fixed in 2 yrs.

on cold days woulnt mind some soup/chili type thing

but food for kids seems to be a plenty.

Exactly. That's kind've what the pre-game tailgate is for. I couldnt even tell you in the last 20 years that I've ever eaten anything at the Dome during a game.

$$$

Exactly. People want to go to the game for as little as possible, even when we're successful like right now, and then wonder why the Dome renovations won't meet their expectations.

the attendance situation to me comes down to an area of the country that isn't what it was 20-30 years ago. Demographics are changing, businesses have left. The school may be looking at a situation where the attendance for these type of events top out, in a perfect world, at 42-43k. Add in the lost generation of fans who witnessed atrocious football since the turn of the century, this isn't remotely surprising.

I bet you could drop the price to free and the numbers would still be in the same area.

the attendance situation to me comes down to an area of the country that isn't what it was 20-30 years ago. Demographics are changing, businesses have left. The school may be looking at a situation where the attendance for these type of events top out, in a perfect world, at 42-43k. Add in the lost generation of fans who witnessed atrocious football since the turn of the century, this isn't remotely surprising.

I bet you could drop the price to free and the numbers would still be in the same area.
I think that is the reason they want to reduce the capacity to 44,000 after the renovation is complete.

I am sure everybody up there understands the issues at this point with the dome experience, it's a dated facility in need of a serious facelift and renovation.

the issue here is people take the financial aspects of making things better up there for granted as if there is a magic wand or ATM that the university can just shake a stick at and get hundreds of millions of dollars from with no responsibilities or repercussions. WE HAVE ACC MONEY NOW!!! They have the $$!!! ( not so fast my friends)

Last edited:
I am sure everybody up there understands the issues at this point with the dome experience, it's a dated facility in need of a serious facelift and renovation.

the issue here is people take the financial aspects of making things better up there for granted as if there is a magic wand or ATM that the university can just shake a stick at and get hundreds of millions of dollars from with no responsibilities or repercussions. WE HAVE ACC MONEY NOW!!! They have the $$!!!

Exactly!

$$$

I get that. I also see them building buildings for things like the Center For Human Development. I mean, what is that? Is it where they have the sociology classes? I see a bunch of money spent expanding the University's footprint by buying up real estate closer to Genesee Street. So why can't they raise some money for the Dome?

Perfect beisdes when its hot outside than its 10 times worse in the dome. lol
Try sitting in Kyle Field when it’s 120 out on a sunny day. Then tell me the Dome it hot.

And before you tell me Kyle Field is cherry picked, the same could be said for most SEC schools, a good number of southern ACC schools, every Texas school, and probably a good chunk of the Pac12 and the Big XII South.

Also, it’s in Syracuse - a city that isn’t exactly known for heat waves.

The Dome’s weather is perfect.

If you drink, you need something to soak up some of the booze, and if you have kids with you, they want to eat something. I get that you can avoid concessions, and by doing so you avoid many of the complaints about the Dome. And certainly, everyone at the Fine Lot tailgate avoids many of those complaints by having a great spread for 3 hours before the game.

I suppose you are also a guy with a slim waist who doesn't wear down coats to the basketball games in January so that you fit comfortably in your 12 inch slice of aluminum that is our individual "seat" for the game.

I used to love going to the Dome 10 years ago. Maybe it's just me getting older that I can't put up with the hassle so much anymore.