Louisville Attendance | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Attendance

Why?

Sometimes they get hungry; sometimes its just entertainment.

We usually sneak in some M&Ms or something, but I dont think you're really allowed to do that.

Sometimes they get hungry; sometimes its just entertainment.

We usually sneak in some M&Ms or something, but I dont think you're really allowed to do that.

I agree with you that "entertainment" is a big part of it. Parent's want to make sure everyone enjoys the experience and they also don't want to listen to the complaining and beseeching while trying to watch the actual game themselves. The problem is the kids start to associate "stadium" with "unlimited consumption of junk". Which seems to carry on into adulthood.

It's a uniquely American deal. People at stadiums in Europe don't do this. They have some very small concessions areas and demand is generally low.

I salute you for at least trying to manage the problem.

Whenever I have done that, I've missed the start of the game, because the closer you get to game time, the slower the traffic on Colvin. It's only 1 lane in each direction. If it was 2 lanes in each direction, that would make it a lot better.

I'm going to give the Shaughnessy's shuttle a shot on Friday. In the past, I've never even been able to find the supposed shuttles that ran from various places in Armory Square on a game night.

Very curious about the Shaughnessy shuttle.. please give us an update sometime after the game.

I agree with you that "entertainment" is a big part of it. Parent's want to make sure everyone enjoys the experience and they also don't want to listen to the complaining and beseeching while trying to watch the actual game themselves. The problem is the kids start to associate "stadium" with "unlimited consumption of junk". Which seems to carry on into adulthood.

It's a uniquely American deal. People at stadiums in Europe don't do this. They have some very small concessions areas and demand is generally low.

I salute you for at least trying to manage the problem.

When we picked our seasons, I purposefully chose seats near the aisle, and an aisle near concessions and the bathroom, to minimize the amount of time I/we am/are away from our seats. Most of our excursions can be completed during a TV timeout. As I've said before, my 5-year-old basically eats his way through the game (and yes, most of it is garbage food). Oh, and he totally associates a Syracuse game with cotton candy, because he knows damn well that's the only place he can get it. I'm confident he'll outgrow it though because my 8-year-old doesnt have the same hang ups or associations.

I don't know which sport(s) in Europe to which you refer. I know you dont go, but the experience of attending a Syracuse football game is vastly different from attending a soccer event. Just from a competition/play standpoint, the run time is usually well over twice as long, is punctuated by many more delays such as the aforementioned TV timeouts, injuries, replay reviews (viturally none in soccer other than half-time), and the game is much more difficult to follow.

Very curious about the Shaughnessy shuttle.. please give us an update sometime after the game.

That is usually my go to, but did snag a Standart parking pass for this game. They switched to Centro buses that run pretty consistently but its like anything else, don't expect to get on at 630 and make the kickoff. I'd try to get on the shuttle around 6 to be safe.

Park in the Harrison Street garage, not the Hotel Syracuse garage. Very counter intuitive, but the Marriott rents spaces in the Harrison Street garage. Take your parking ticket with you into the bar and look for the woman selling bus tickets and she will give you a sticker to put on your parking ticket for free parking. $4 for round trip on the shuttle. Also, no alcohol on the buses since they are Centro.

I don’t get the Dome hate. There isn’t a bad seat in the house for football, and the weather is perfect for every game.

I really don’t get people knocking the food. It’s a football game. Are Dome Dogs really worse than <insert any stadium in America here> hotdogs?

It’s like the people who complain about the crowds. It’s s football game. There’s supposed to be a crowd.

Fine Mess Tailgate: the quality solution for concession food. At a literal fraction of the price.

When we picked our seasons, I purposefully chose seats near the aisle, and an aisle near concessions and the bathroom, to minimize the amount of time I/we am/are away from our seats. Most of our excursions can be completed during a TV timeout. As I've said before, my 5-year-old basically eats his way through the game (and yes, most of it is garbage food). Oh, and he totally associates a Syracuse game with cotton candy, because he knows damn well that's the only place he can get it. I'm confident he'll outgrow it though because my 8-year-old doesnt have the same hang ups or associations.

I don't know which sport(s) in Europe to which you refer. I know you dont go, but the experience of attending a Syracuse football game is vastly different from attending a soccer event. Just from a competition/play standpoint, the run time is usually well over twice as long, is punctuated by many more delays such as the aforementioned TV timeouts, injuries, replay reviews (viturally none in soccer other than half-time), and the game is much more difficult to follow.

You are right. The sporting events I attend in Europe are all non-stop action games (Soccer, Rugby, Gaelic football and Hurling.) But even at the half, there aren't long lines. What you will see is guys who came straight from work eating sausages at the half. You also don't see a lot of families at these events either. It's a "guy" thing.

I go to a fair number of baseball games in the US. That's where I see the "stuffing" syndrome (kids and adults, who really don't need to be eating a paper tray full of tortilla chips swimming in processed cheese. And there is nothing slower and more stoppage-laden than a baseball game. Somehow these people must have missed the transition your 8 year old made.

This thread needs a reset.

If we get 40k Friday, our average home game attendance will have jumped 7.8% over last year.

It’ll be 3 straight years of increases.
It’s up 14% since Shafer’s last year.
It bucks the national trend of dwindling crowds.
All great points to make with a head coach worried about attendance.

that is a great barometer and very positive. However, the days of 45k plus will be extremely rare especially because the school is not gonna schedule mid 90s like OOC opponents anymore. Smart scheduling, bad for the attendance when a shiny new object (Michigan, Penn St, LSU) come to town. Those games were events. The shine is coming off playing non interesting conference opponents like NC State and Louisville. These aren't rivals. I guarantee if you made those games WVU and Rutgers w the same stakes we'd have a slight uptick.

I guess what i'm saying is alot is going into the attendance malaise. A sneaky one is the stupid conference realignment of teams that have zero geographic touch points. Money dictates it and i'm not saying we made a mistake but the collective issue is coming home to roost

With regards to seating, yes, I am a large man (6'5,280). It hasn't been so bad this year except for the knee room. That being said, as attendance increases, people will no longer be able to spread out because of the few empty seats in each row. When that happens, I will simply not be able to attend. As I posted once before, the best game experience for me was watching the Scranton Rail Riders. New park with individual seats, enough leg room, and easy access to food, drink, and rest rooms. I understand the difference in volume, but it was really nice. Something to shoot for.

People complaining about concessions don't understand how it's borderline impossible with the space restrictions that exist in the Carrier Dome. Dome Dogs and Popcorn are all produced in a room underneath the dome because there's no space in the stands. Pizza isn't really served on the 3rd level because there's not room for the ovens. Until they can remove an exterior wall and create more space, the food selection can't really change or get better.

And I learned this in one of my classes back in 2010.

You must not go to events in other cities. Just go to Buffalo and see their Excellus Blue Cross Stadium. There are escalators, big "food court" style restaurant area with a bunch of different choices of food. There are more handrails on the stairs, and even plastic shields in the even that someone falls down the stairs. There are individual seats with cup holders like you have at the movies. Rochester and Albany also have much better stadiums than we do. So it's not like New York State or the Upstate economy can't support something nice, because there are better stadiums in every other major city along the Thruway, except Utica, because, well, Utica is a dump.

I'll stop complaining about the Dome now.

Sorry for the bitching, but I hate to see the lack of support for a rising football program that deserves the accolades, and deserves a proper send off. I hate to think that the Dome is a big reason for the consistent drop in attendance this past decade, for both sports, but I think it's true. As someone else said in this thread, people have money to go out to fancy, expensive restaurants. Why aren't they coming to games?
stadiums ive attended...

MetLife
Fenway
Yankees stadium old and new
SkyDome
The Jake
New Era
Camden Yards
Renstchler
Buttgers
Heinz field
Alumni stadium
Schoellkopf Field
Andy Kerr
Lambeau Field
Angels stadium
Cardinals stadium
Wrigley
Yale bowl

Ive been to many of these several times. Not bragging at all, just saying I have experiences to reference. The Dome is doing fine.

I think what he and i meant were the sight lines are great from every seat, and you feel closer to the football field than you do at most other stadiums. But yes, there is not enough room for big people.

We need to take that into account when they really re-do the Dome, and not just give it a new coat a paint, a new roof and a new scoreboard. Those things are necessary, but really don't do that much to change what it's like to go to a game.

P.S. - I'm a fat ass, too.
I think the viewing from everywhere in The Dome is perfection for football.

A lot of blue dots still but i could see 40 with a big push today and a good walk up of 1-2,000

f
No they aren't complaining about food quality. I was replying that people with kids have to get up and use concessions during game
fair enough. im surprised hot dog and other vendors don't walk through the stands much anymore. Cant remember the last time i even saw a beer or soda guy walking around in my section.

People complaining about concessions don't understand how it's borderline impossible with the space restrictions that exist in the Carrier Dome. Dome Dogs and Popcorn are all produced in a room underneath the dome because there's no space in the stands. Pizza isn't really served on the 3rd level because there's not room for the ovens. Until they can remove an exterior wall and create more space, the food selection can't really change or get better.

And I learned this in one of my classes back in 2010.

Believe me the concessions issues have been discussed and as Bnoro said the problem has more to do with the fact that the dome is 35 years old and was not designed for today’s upscale concessions. Lack of space is the #1 problem along with many other issues that will be addressed in the renovation.

Im curious if they sell different choices for basketball because i remember getting pulled pork and there used to be a place to get italian food..my memory is hazy

This thread needs a reset.

If we get 40k Friday, our average home game attendance will have jumped 7.8% over last year.

It’ll be 3 straight years of increases.
It’s up 14% since Shafer’s last year.
It bucks the national trend of dwindling crowds.
All great points to make with a head coach worried about attendance.
Couldn't agree more. Add the fact you can compete for a national title if we run the ACC and that Syracuse fans have shown to support a winner (just look at road attendance for basketball games).

Im curious if they sell different choices for basketball because i remember getting pulled pork and there used to be a place to get italian food..my memory is hazy
If you know what you're doing you can get sausage, burgers, chicken tenders, fries, etc at the Dome. You might have to walk an extra 3 minutes.

People in Europe also piss in the street and kill each other over Soccer games. I think I'll stick with some salty corn chips and processed cheese.

Have you been to a Philadelphia Eagles game? I don't know if they have a jail substation in the new stadium or not.

And walk around downtown Baltimore a block north of the Inner Harbor and inhale deeply and tell me what you smell.

We have violence at games, people pissing in the streets and a plethora of 300 lb'ers getting even fatter eating crap.

Getting back to the issue of attendance, the student government association bought an extra 1,000 tickets for Friday's game, and are giving them out to students in front of Schine. The students are gobbling them up. Great job student government association!!!! Here comes 1,000 more to the dome if they all show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom