Louisville thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Louisville thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
I haven't had a spare moment lately to write about SU, but for this game I had to make time. I've always said that as a Syracuse fan you get a chance to be on top of the basketball world at least once every season. This is one of those moments, and in this case its not just the magnitude of the win but the entertainment quality of the game.

Am I the only person who had a flashback to Fred Brown throwing the ball away in the final seconds of the '82 championship game when Siva threw the ball away to MCW? Anytime you get a historic Syracuse win and a flashback of a historic Georgetown loss in the same moment, you know you've seen something special.

Since I haven't been able to post in a while I want to talk about how this team has developed and where it is heading as I break the game down.

In a nutshell this game was about defense and Brandon Triche.

As early as the first exhibition game Syracuse showed an inability to defend (Boeheim played zone which he never does during exhibitions stating that they needed more time to practice it). Their bad defense culminated in the Temple loss. Temple scored repeatedly around the basket in a way that I dont think I have ever seen before against a Syracuse defense. Syracuse needed to press just to keep the game close, you could literally count the number of stops their zone got in that game on your fingers.

Things started to turn around defensively as Syracuse entered Big East play, but until Louisville Syracuse hadn't played anyone particularly well suited to exploit this weakness. Dieng and Behannan are a far greater physical force down low than anything Syracuse has seen so far . . . neither had a good game offensively, and that must be noted.

In the first half of this game Louisville (like Temple) was able to get to the basket often and with great success. Part of this was Boeheim playing possum. Ive noticed that Syracuse will play a straight up 2-3 zone early in games, even though it might give up some baskets that a 2-3 zone adjusted to the other team's strengths wont. These few early game points are the payment, the return comes in the second half when the opposition attacks a particular "weakness" they were able to exploit in the first half that just happens to be exactly what Boeheim wants them to attack . This also forces the opposing coach to change strategies going down the stretch which 9 times out of 10 is a recipe for disaster.

Syracuse's interior defense was good in the second half, and historically good in the last few possessions - Lousiville forced the ball inside, exactly what they were able to successfully do in the first half . . . exactly what Boeheim set them up to think they would be able to succeed at doing - but going down the stretch there was NOTHING available down low for them. Those avenues had been cut off.

I learned that one weakness I thought the team had (interior D) might not be so big of a weakness after all. And more than anything else that is what I will take away from this game.

The hero in this regard is Fair. He has never been a bad defensive player, but he is on a whole other level this year. He is a legitimate intimidating presence down low blocking shots, pushing people around, and giving us a lot of what we lost in Fab Melo.

Grant also deserves credit. He played solid D against Nova but got abused on the boards - only coming down with about half the balls he got his hands on. That is understandable, considering you are never going to see that kind of physicality in High School. It only took him one game to make an adjustment. Against Louisville he was ready for the pounding, and I dont think anybody doubts that he is physically able to handle it. He's a very quick learner, and a coaches dream.

One last note on defense, there is still room for growth and most of that growth will come from Christmas who I still think has quite a bit of unreached potential he can get to THIS year, as far as being a shot blocker/intimidator.

On the other side of the ball, Syracuse faced a major challenge. Louisville is without question the best defensive team in the country. We had to hit some 3's against their zone early to have any chance and Triche was able to. If he had been anything less than red hot from deep, Louisville would have won, its that simple (losing Southerland takes away some of the wiggle room we have in this regard). His great game made Louisville change their defensive philosophy. Everyone in Triche's vicinity shaded towards him like they were magnetically attracted. You can give Triche ALL the credit for the points Carter-Williams scored going down the stretch. He only had openings because Triche got them for him. In the first half when Louisville was playing Triche straight up, MCW couldn't do anything offensively.

I want to talk about Carter-Williams now, and how important he is to the team. The South Florida game is the best illustration of this. We beat them 55-44 and I dont know anybody who thought Syracuse had a good game overall. Yet they did play good defense. I also think that Triche who scored 20, Southerland who scored 17, ad Fair who had a double-double all played well. Even though Syracuse played good D, and even though all three of Syracuse's veterans had good games, they still played poorly as a team overall BECAUSE Carter-Williams had an off night. My point is they need him. He is extremely important.

Triche did all the work today, scoring, and even taking over the ball handling duties when Carter-Williams couldn't cut it, but we cant afford to have Carter-Williams as a second banana every night - especially if Southerland never comes back. One of the big problems Carter-Williams had was ball handling. The reason he had trouble handling the ball is because he cant score. This might sound odd, but its true. Russ Smith was in his jock because he was not worried about Carter-Williams blowing by him and scoring. Triche was given more room to operate because Louisville knew that if Triche got in the lane he was scoring, its a respect thing. Carter-Williams isn't getting respect, because he hasn't earned it. Even his passing skills (which are considerable) are rendered close to useless, because he is not demanding a double team even when he beats his man off the dribble. If you want to be a truly elite passer you have to make the defense worry about stopping you from scoring first.

My point is this, Carter-Williams learning to put the ball in the basket more efficiently will open a lot up. He will be able to move the court more freely, he will be able to pass the ball to teammates easier and with more effectiveness, and the team as a whole will be much, much better.

When you are a top ten team who beats the number one team on the road, you have to think about what it will take to win a national championship. In my opinion, Syracuse is still a long shot to win it. If Carter-Williams can shoot better from deep, and convert more efficiently around the basket they have the potential to become THE favorite. Carter-Williams has all the physical tools to do just this. Can he do it this year, or will it take another year of development? To me that is the key that will determine just how far this team goes in March.

Some other small things. Grant is doing an admirable job filling in for Southerland so far, and I'm as big a fan of Grant as anybody, but we will really miss Southerland if he never comes back. The big difference between the two is spacing. Southerland allows Syracuse to space themselves in a way that gives defenses nightmares. Grant and Fair both like to operate in the same areas. Teams dont have much tape yet on how we play without Southerland, but that is changing fast and pretty soon they will be able to defend what we are doing more effectively than they have so far. Both Fair and Grant (who I think remains in the line up even if Southerland comes back) will benefit from him being around so keep your fingers crossed.

Coleman and Cooney - neither played much, but neither looked intimidated.

Since the beginning of the season I've thought that Coleman would come good offensively by the time March rolled around, but I was unsure he could play enough D to earn the PT to show it. For Coleman that light has officially turned on offensively. This was not a good game to show it (Louisville has the best defensive center in the country) but there is a huge difference between how he's playing now and how he played early in the season. The impressive thing is that he's making equally huge strides defensively. This year he's probably not going to be great defensively and that will keep him on the bench at the end of games, but he can be good enough to play decent minutes and contribute a decent amount of points and rebounds. Next year . . . he is going to be a beast. The best center in the ACC by a country mile. Mark it down.

Cooney was not intimidated by the Louisville press, and he plays consistently solid D. All he has to do now is get a few 3's to drop. Its not like he is taking (or will ever be asked to take) contested 3's. If he can hit one out of every three wide open shots he gets he can be a valuable contributor off the bench. I am still hopeful this will happen.

One last note on the Triche, the game MVP. People are going to remember his scoring, and rightfully so, putting up 23 points on 9-13 shooting against the best D in the country is incredibly impressive, but its his passing that is really impressing me. Not just in this game, but all year long. In High School Triche was a phenomenal passer and for some reason that never translated to college. This year it has. Carter-Williams may lead the country in assists and still be the second best passer on the team. An interesting thought, because Triche does not handle the ball nearly as much as Carter-Williams but really makes the most of it when he does.

Great Post!!! - Your comments about Triche and the ball are 110% dead on. I think he had one turnover for the game. He is money and they had to double team him in the second half. This team had a long road to travel this year and they took a big step this game for sure. But they could also lose the next game and that is just the way it is going to be this year. If they keep taking big steps in their game and as a team they could make some big noise this spring and could take it all. It is going to be one hell of a ride.
You just don't go into that place and win... Huge win I am really happy for them practice should be fun in the morning.

Great, insightful post and hopefully a light going on for those who think that Triche cannot play point guard.

...was Boeheim playing possum. Ive noticed that Syracuse will play a straight up 2-3 zone early in games, even though it might give up some baskets that a 2-3 zone adjusted to the other team's strengths wont. These few early game points are the payment, the return comes in the second half when the opposition attacks a particular "weakness" they were able to exploit in the first half that just happens to be exactly what Boeheim wants them to attack .

This explains all those slow starts SU has had the last 5 years. It is a strategy!

Looking back this morning, there is one thing I wanted to say but forgot.

Louisville is a hell of a team, they remind me of last year's SU team in that they might not be an offensive juggernaut but their defense is so good they are going to win the vast majority of their games just because nobody can score against them.

Going in, I thought Louisville would have to lay a complete egg offensively (like they did last year at their place) for Syracuse to have any chance at all. They didn't. Louisville played about as good offensively as they usually do (much better than they did in their other loss against Duke where they were missing Dieng who is in my opinion their best player).

I'm not sure Louisville will lose another game all year when they play at that level.

It might not look like Syracuse had a great offensive game, but they did. 70 points and 49% shooting from the field are not numbers that Louisville's D is going to give up often this year.

The fact that Louisville is, without question in my mind, as good as any team in college basketball, and the fact that Syracuse went toe to toe with them in a game where Louisville did all the things that Louisville does, shows that Syracuse does have another gear they can go into when they need it. Last year's team played at a high level (lets say a 9 out of 10) every game. If you played a 10 (think Cincinnati) you would win, if you played an 8 or less you were losing. This year's team at times has only been a 3 or a 4, but unlike last year's team it seems like they have the ability to get to a 10 if everything works out well for them. Should make for a very exciting year.

I found it very interesting to see two great defensive teams match up especially when both play basically the same scheme in half court defense. You could really see the difference in our length on around the zone both in the backcourt and on the wings. That was probably the biggest difference as far as offensive success goes. Also you see what a premier shot blocker in the middle allows the other guys to do in the zone like we could last year Lville can gamble much more and force guys to the middle. I feel like our defense won us that game as well as a great offensive game in the halfcourt once we got there.

general20 I agree with you about Coleman being great next season. You can see the hiuge leap on both ends for him and I hold out hope now that his defense has improved that he willbe able to be an offensive force late in the season this year. Its really about him getting minutes at this point now that he seems to understand what he needs to do, just needs to learn to do it in game situations and gain confidence. He wasn't going to get many minutes against Lville no mater what really.

I think we will see Triche bringing the ball up most of the time in the rematch.

Also would say that our best at seasons end (especially with James) could be better than anyone elses best. We will have to see how the guys develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom