Lunardi still has us in but dropped to 11th seed in South.. | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi still has us in but dropped to 11th seed in South..

how does not playing all week and winning by 20 have us trending down in his model?

miami game really could make some seeding changes though.. if you think miami is an 8 and us an 11 and we have the same record and beat them twice..

how does not playing all week and winning by 20 have us trending down in his model?

miami game really could make some seeding changes though.. if you think miami is an 8 and us an 11 and we have the same record and beat them twice..

It's all relative. If other bubble teams picked up big wins (like Wake), it makes our home win over a 90+ rpi team not look too good, comparatively. We really need the crappy conferences to have their #1 seeds get the auto bid.

This is why Bracketology is completely and utterly pointless. Two months ago, he had us out and told our fanbase that we needed to start wrapping our heads around that because we had zero chance. Now he has us in. But it doesn't matter whether we're in today or where he seeds us, because we could play ourselves out with a poor showing in the ACCT or significantly enhance our seeding if we go on a run.

Things are changing on the college basketball landscape on a daily basis, now that we're in conference tournament play -- which makes the projections pointless outside of the top seeds.

Never understood why some people get so worked up about Lunardi, or why they pay attention to bracketology so early.

but which is it.. a win against a bad rpi team or a win against a team thats on his bubble in his own system thats only a few teams behind us.

This is why Bracketology is completely and utterly pointless. Two months ago, he had us out and told our fanbase that we needed to start wrapping our heads around that because we had zero chance. Now he has us in. But it doesn't matter whether we're in today or where he seeds us, because we could play ourselves out with a poor showing in the ACCT or significantly enhance our seeding if we go on a run.

Things are changing on the college basketball landscape on a daily basis, now that we're in conference tournament play -- which makes the projections pointless outside of the top seeds.

Never understood why some people get so worked up about Lunardi, or why they pay attention to bracketology so early.

It's something to do and fun to debate.

Personally, I would sign up for that bracket in a millisecond. Minnesota, Zona, Kentucky. Yes please. Hope that Arkansas, Cincy, or WVU knocks off UNC. I really wanna play Big 12, SEC teams, and if anyone from the Pac 12 then Arizona. Zona, and Kentucky are so young.

That said, it's all dumb to speculate the bracket, and we will find out on Selection Sunday if we even make the Big Dance. Who knows where teams get put. Might as well just say what teams they think are in.

There are many moving parts. Last week was a just maintain week for us, and moving up or down a spot is just that.

Assuming its the 2 teams ahead of us:
Marquette beat Creighton
Providence went 2-0 with a road win.

If we are actually 6th last team in we are in very good shape as it will be hard for 6 teams to catch us even with a loss. But I can easily see the committee having us anywhere between last in and 6th last in as of now. Every spot means a lot with a loss.

It's all relative. If other bubble teams picked up big wins (like Wake), it makes our home win over a 90+ rpi team not look too good, comparatively. We really need the crappy conferences to have their #1 seeds get the auto bid.

I'm more worried about bubble teams in power conferences going on runs in their conference tourneys than #1 seeds in crappy conferences losing in their tournaments, since a lot of those leagues are one bid leagues regardless.

Nothing is easy but that bracket is brutal.

I'd actually love that draw. Minnesota is pretty good, but having Arizona as a 3 seed would be a decent matchup for Syracuse. I actually like Arizona, but they don't exactly light it up from outside.

Cuse fans going into this week like...

swtn.gif

I'd actually love that draw. Minnesota is pretty good, but having Arizona as a 3 seed would be a decent matchup for Syracuse. I actually like Arizona, but they don't exactly light it up from outside.
I think you're crazy. Arizona is a TERRIBLE matchup for Syracuse. Markkanen is exactly the sort of player who would shred the zone in 10 different ways.

All the stuff is fun to talk about and whatever, but yeah. Being in the field right now, I don't think that's even a thing, since there isn't a field right now, but even if we are in (or out) right now, it doesn't matter till Sunday.

One thing I was thinking about recently; one bad thing about the constant bracketology updates is that I think it can warp your perception when you're ranking teams every day. The committee is coming at it from a different POV, as far as i know; whenver they really sit down for the first time and try and figure out the entire field, they may not be starting from scratch exactly, but I think they have much fewer preconceived notions than the guy who is updating the field every 3 days. (if that makes sense)

I think you're crazy. Arizona is a TERRIBLE matchup for Syracuse. Markkanen is exactly the sort of player who would shred the zone in 10 different ways.

Has any program been more consistently over-hyped than Arizona the last 5 seasons? We always hear about all of this talent they have and how they're top 5 or 10 just to see them flame out. Arizona could beat us, but they're not exactly scary.

I agree that Markkanen would be tough, but if Syracuse gets in, we're going to face a really good team in the 2nd game. Would you really rather face UCLA? Not me... UCLA would kill us!

One thing I was thinking about recently; one bad thing about the constant bracketology updates is that I think it can warp your perception when you're ranking teams every day. The committee is coming at it from a different POV, as far as i know; whenver they really sit down for the first time and try and figure out the entire field, they may not be starting from scratch exactly, but I think they have much fewer preconceived notions than the guy who is updating the field every 3 days. (if that makes sense)

This is a smart point. I'm a lawyer and I would compare it to editing a brief versus writing a brief from scratch. If the brief is in good shape, editing it is usually easy and you end up with a good product. If the draft brief needs a lot of work, sometimes trying to salvage what's been done before results in a worse product than starting from scratch. I imagine that these guys are starting with their last bracket and updating it, and you can lose the plot sometimes doing it that way.

Bottom line, folks, is if we beat Miami we should be in good shape. if not, could be bad. Odds are that there will be a decent number of bubble teams that make it further in their conference tourney. Bad look for a bubble team when you get booted the first game. Miami is a solid team, a certain threat, but dammit, the game is in freaking NYC, they will have 100 fans there and we will have the rest. Gotta take care of them.

This is a smart point. I'm a lawyer and I would compare it to editing a brief versus writing a brief from scratch. If the brief is in good shape, editing it is usually easy and you end up with a good product. If the draft brief needs a lot of work, sometimes trying to salvage what's been done before results in a worse product than starting from scratch. I imagine that these guys are starting with their last bracket and updating it, and you can lose the plot sometimes doing it that way.

Not to hijack the thread, but every time someone uses the phrase "I am a lawyer," I think of Tracy Morgan as Star Jones on SNL and laugh to myself.

67748589.jpg

Northwestern is a lock 9 seed with one good win and whole lot of mediocre in a mediocre conference.

Syracuse is a bubble 11 with wins over Miami, Duke, FSU and Virginia and a 10-8 record in the best league in the country.

I guess mediocrity is trending this year.

*I'm not saying NW shouldn't be in. I'm saying I don't get how we're a bubble team given how weak the bubble is.

Last edited:
All the stuff is fun to talk about and whatever, but yeah. Being in the field right now, I don't think that's even a thing, since there isn't a field right now, but even if we are in (or out) right now, it doesn't matter till Sunday.

Agree 100%. That's also the reason [I believe] why Lunardi gets worked up when the committee's results don't match his own.

I view bracketology as a high-level bench mark, at best -- hardly a source of "truth" about how the field will shake out. And I never worry about what the seedings are at this point, as there is so much variance that gets introduced into the mix during conference tournament week.

The top seeds are easy to project--nobody needs bracketology for that. The rest of the field is totally in flux right now, which is why wringing your hands about what Lunardi projects at this point is a waste of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom