Lunardi still has us in but dropped to 11th seed in South.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi still has us in but dropped to 11th seed in South..

I believe Palm is far better at doing brackets than Joe is.

If you look at past history, Joe has a lot of crazy stuff in his bracket most of the season. But in the last week or so before Selection Sunday, he starts making changes to make his look more like Palm's so when the real brackets are released, he isn't a national laughingstock.

No thanks...our record this season against former Big East rivals is not good...

Beating Villanova would be sweet because we compete with them for Philly recruits. They've been winning lately.

Northwestern is a lock 9 seed with one good win and whole lot of mediocre in a mediocre conference.

Syracuse is a bubble 11 with wins over Miami, Duke, FSU and Virginia and a 10-8 record in the best league in the country.

I guess mediocrity is trending this year.

*I'm not saying NW shouldn't be in. I'm saying I don't get how we're a bubble team given how weak the bubble is.
Northwestern has zero (0) bad losses this year. Not one loss to a team with a losing record. Not one of their losses compares to SU losses to SJU, Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, or BC.

After the Ga Tech win the following happened:
SU RPI dropped from 78 to 80.
SU SOS dropped from 45 to 54.

This likely has a bearing on Lunardi's seedings. Didn't realize that just playing GT would drop our metrics. It's so dumb because if GT had won he probably moves them to in the tourney.

Our RPI is just crazy given 10 wins in the ACC. But I looked up our OOC and with the exception of Monmouth (RPI #43) it is terrible. 5 games against teams in the high 200's. Then add in 2 games against BC (#211). That's nearly 1/4 of our schedule being against sub RPI 200 teams and many are in the high 200's. Too many dogs. I realize you expect playing UConn and Georgetown to lift that OOC RPI and both were bad this year...and we compounded the problem by losing to them.

We really need to beat Miami. The chances we go "on a run" in the ACCT is almost non existent given we run into UNC after Miami. IMO it's imperative we get a w against Miami or we give the committee the perfect excuse to drop us out.

This likely has a bearing on Lunardi's seedings. Didn't realize that just playing GT would drop our metrics. It's so dumb because if GT had won he probably moves them to in the tourney.

Our RPI is just crazy given 10 wins in the ACC. But I looked up our OOC and with the exception of Monmouth (RPI #43) it is terrible. 5 games against teams in the high 200's. Then add in 2 games against BC (#211). That's nearly 1/4 of our schedule being against sub RPI 200 teams and many are in the high 200's. Too many dogs. I realize you expect playing UConn and Georgetown to lift that OOC RPI and both were bad this year...and we compounded the problem by losing to them.

We really need to beat Miami. The chances we go "on a run" in the ACCT is almost non existent given we run into UNC after Miami. IMO it's imperative we get a w against Miami or we give the committee the perfect excuse to drop us out.

The RPI can sway based on how all 30+ of our other opponents fared. Its not just a static - we beat GT at home that moves us.

Northwestern is a lock 9 seed with one good win and whole lot of mediocre in a mediocre conference.

Syracuse is a bubble 11 with wins over Miami, Duke, FSU and Virginia and a 10-8 record in the best league in the country.

I guess mediocrity is trending this year.

*I'm not saying NW shouldn't be in. I'm saying I don't get how we're a bubble team given how weak the bubble is.
I've been high on NW all year, but they are starting to look more and more mediocre. The two things they having going for them are a road win against a barely ranked team and no horrible losses. At this point, I'm surprised they are not at least being considered for a play in game.

how does not playing all week and winning by 20 have us trending down in his model?

miami game really could make some seeding changes though.. if you think miami is an 8 and us an 11 and we have the same record and beat them twice..

down arrow just means from last update to now we dropped a place on s curve/seed list

Northwestern has zero (0) bad losses this year. Not one loss to a team with a losing record. Not one of their losses compares to SU losses to SJU, Georgetown, UConn, Pitt, or BC.
And they have one good win against a Wisconsin team that probably isn't ranked come Selection Sunday. Meanwhile, we have some bad losses, but wins against Virginia, FSU and Duke, along with a win against Miami, who same as Wisconsin, we also hope isn't ranked come Selection Sunday.

Anything but the 8 or 9 seed please.
It's a weird spot to be in because we need to beat Miami to pretty much guarantee our spot but it also possibly takes us from a bubble team to a 9 seed.

this is based off my gut and nothing else

lose to miami i give us a 50% chance of getting in

beat miami lose to north carolina i give us a 90% chance of getting in

beat miami beat north carolina i give us a 100% chance of getting in

they dont call me borat brackets for nothing

And they have one good win against a Wisconsin team that probably isn't ranked come Selection Sunday. Meanwhile, we have some bad losses, but wins against Virginia, FSU and Duke, along with a win against Miami, who same as Wisconsin, we also hope isn't ranked come Selection Sunday.
If NW had ever made the tourney before they would be in the bubble conversation this year. Having never made the tournament is working in their favor giving them a presence that they really haven't earned.

RPI also grants road wins a weight of 1.4 and home wins 0.6, when they calculate the winning % aspect of the formula. When you only have 2 road wins, it's hard to take advantage of it.

Anything but the 8 or 9 seed please.

I'll take an 8 or a 9 because that would pretty much ensure we aren't in UNC's bracket. Those guys kill us on the boards and that's not gonna change.

RPI also grants road wins a weight of 1.4 and home wins 0.6, when they calculate the winning % aspect of the formula. When you only have 2 road wins, it's hard to take advantage of it.
Yes except look at all the ACC teams that only have 3 road wins, 1 more than SU, yet have RPI much higher. Seems factors other than road wins driving it, like SOS.

this is based off my gut and nothing else

lose to miami i give us a 50% chance of getting in

beat miami lose to north carolina i give us a 90% chance of getting in

beat miami beat north carolina i give us a 100% chance of getting in

they dont call me borat brackets for nothing

I Like!

14t8rcj.jpg

Has any program been more consistently over-hyped than Arizona the last 5 seasons? We always hear about all of this talent they have and how they're top 5 or 10 just to see them flame out. Arizona could beat us, but they're not exactly scary.
Last 5 years? More than that.

Has any program been more consistently over-hyped than Arizona the last 5 seasons? We always hear about all of this talent they have and how they're top 5 or 10 just to see them flame out. Arizona could beat us, but they're not exactly scary.

Flame out? I think they had really one disappointing season recently losing to Wichita St. last year in the first round as a 6 seed I think. Otherwise we are talking THREE E8s between 2011-2015. 2 of them losing to Wisconsin in which one was in OT and we know how excellent those Wisonsin Kaminsky/Dekker teams were. They also lost a Sweet 16 game to a Craft OSU team because LaQuinton Ross hit a game winning 3. They have been very consistent and obviously producing in the Tourney. If just because Miller doesn't have his F4 (more on bad luck than anything else) discredits how consistent and solid Arizona has been in season and in the post-season; then I don't know what to tell you. Has Syracuse been a more solid program than Arizona the past 5-7 years because of our F4s? The answer is no.

Last edited:
Flame out? I think they had really one disappointing season recently losing to Wichita St. last year in the first round as a 6 seed I think. Otherwise we are talking THREE E8s between 2011-2015. 2 of them losing to Wisconsin in which one was in OT and we know how excellent those Wisonsin Kaminsky/Dekker teams were. They also lost a Sweet 16 game to a Craft OSU team because LaQuinton Ross hit a game winning 3. They have been very consistent and obviously producing in the Tourney. If just because Miller doesn't have his F4 (more on bad luck than anything else) discredits how consistent and solid Arizona has been in season and in the post-season; then I don't know what to tell you. Has Syracuse been a more solid program than Arizona the past 5-7 years because of our F4s? The answer is no.

Totally agree and I was going to comment on this until you did the work for me. I wouldn't characterize getting to the Elite 8 3 times as "flaming out" even though it may be starting to get frustrating for them to not get over the hump to the final 4.

Totally agree and I was going to comment on this until you did the work for me. I wouldn't characterize getting to the Elite 8 3 times as "flaming out" even though it may be starting to get frustrating for them to not get over the hump to the final 4.

Agree as well and this would be quite a well timed year for them to get over the hump considering where the F4 is being played.

I agree with a lot of this, but I do disagree with the tourney part. Since Miller got to Arizona he has 11 tournament wins and we have 15. I mean I think Arizona's a good program, but you can make the same excuses for us if Fab doesn't get suspended, Arinze doesn't get hurt, Ennis hits one jumper against Dayton, and they call a block on Triche instead of a charge against Michigan. I get the tournament is a crapshoot, but maybe the PAC 12 is a tad overrated? I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom