Lydon on Draft Express | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon on Draft Express

The two schools ahead of us,Duke and Kentucky, are getting a parade of All Americans. Yes, most of the guys we've had get drafted have been rated high coming into school, but we haven't had the classes of either of them. I think it says something that we consistently get guys into the league.

Kentucky and Duke are now tied for all-time Lottery draft picks (Started in 1985) at 22 apiece. Calipari has recruited/coached 16 of those 22 in the last 8 years (Unbelievable). This is why I dont think of Cal as a top coach in cbb. He has 1 championship and missed the tourney completely in that time with all that talent. Cuse has 8 lottery picks all-time for comparison. Those two programs definitely have a huge advantage when it comes to the 1st round pick streak.

Kentucky and Duke are now tied for all-time Lottery draft picks (Started in 1985) at 22 apiece. Calipari has recruited/coached 16 of those 22 in the last 8 years (Unbelievable). This is why I dont think of Cal as a top coach in cbb. He has 1 championship and missed the tourney completely in that time with all that talent. Cuse has 8 lottery picks all-time for comparison. Those two programs definitely have a huge advantage when it comes to the 1st round pick streak.

I don't know. The Tournament is a crap shoot frankly and based mostly on matchups. If Kentucky has lost recently it's because someone really played a great game to beat them. UNC, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. The NIT team was a bunch of misfits and when Noel went down it was over. It's gonna happen once in awhile with the all one and done approach. I'm not even sure a Boeheim from 10 years ago could mold a team of primadonas/egos/studs and get them to play as hard and detail oriented as Cal does. I do think he's an underrated coach and he's a GREAT motivator. Generally he seems to get the best out of those players for however long he has then. One thing for sure is that he gets those guys to move the ball, play team ball, and play hard. I'd take that.

Last edited:
I don't know. The Tournament is a crap shoot frankly and based mostly on matchups. If Kentucky has lost recently it's because someone really played a great game to beat them. UNC, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. The NIT team was a bunch of misfits and when Noel went down it was over. It's gonna happen once in awhile with the all one and done approach. I'm not even sure a Boeheim from 10 years ago could even mold a team and get them to play as hard and detail oriented as Cal does. I do think he's an underrated coach. Generally he seems to get the best out of those players for however long he has then. One thing for sure is that he gets those guys to move the ball, play team ball, and play hard. I'd take that.

The guy coaches an NBA team at the college level every year and you're impressed because he can get them to play hard for a season? What an accomplishment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom