Lydon question | Syracusefan.com

Lydon question

SBU72

All Conference
I am not usually one to look to next year but this has crossed my mind. Where does TL play next year? Now assuming things go right for SU (ha!), DCII will be back to play center with Chukwu either starting or subbing. Roberson will be a sr lock for one forward. Moyer is suppose to be a stud at forward and Battle at guard. Some say he can be a pg. Richardson is probably going to be 2G in that case. If JB wants to have Howard as his PG, that leaves Richardson, Moyer and Battle fighting for the 2G/SF spots. So where does Lydon fit in? I personally think he is a big SF with his ability to hit the 3, drive and move inside but there is plenty of talent to play there. Is he limited then playing behind Roberson?

You could make a list of things that could go wrong and follow that but that could take a whole page.

Sorry, did not see the post from yesterday.

I think JB will have the luxury of players coming off the bench to play significant minutes, some at multiple positions. Who starts will not be a big issue.

I am not usually one to look to next year but this has crossed my mind. Where does TL play next year? Now assuming things go right for SU (ha!), DCII will be back to play center with Chukwu either starting or subbing. Roberson will be a sr lock for one forward. Moyer is suppose to be a stud at forward and Battle at guard. Some say he can be a pg. Richardson is probably going to be 2G in that case. If JB wants to have Howard as his PG, that leaves Richardson, Moyer and Battle fighting for the 2G/SF spots. So where does Lydon fit in? I personally think he is a big SF with his ability to hit the 3, drive and move inside but there is plenty of talent to play there. Is he limited then playing behind Roberson?

You could make a list of things that could go wrong and follow that but that could take a whole page.

He's not going to sit. Thats for sure.

Agreed. Even if he doesn't start, he'll play a ton of minutes--just like this year--and probably have an expanded scoring role. If he doesn't smart, I'd envision it would be like CJ Fair in 2012--comes off the bench, double figure caliber scorer, plays 30+ minutes and "finishes" despite not starting.

Unlike some, I don't envision him as a 3. Will be interesting to see how next year's lineup unfolds.

Moyer will be the .5 in the rotation equation, the others will get the lionshare of minutes. No way does Lydon see a diminished role.

I do see his skill set as a SF, but it's really an academic distinction whether he's a 3, stretch-4, etc.. The point is, he can play either forward spot for us and be effective. Thrust into the role of band-aid center, he's been plucky but has obviously struggled against ACC-level post players. This wouldn't be as obvious if TR and MR weren't also getting abused on the baseline by a number of teams. UNC did what they do (talent all over the court). Clemson hurt is with Nnoko. Gill/Tobey punished us inside. We got dominated and dunked on by Lammers, Jacobs and White (G-Tech), and even Blackshear and Laday (with Pierce for a few minutes) repeatedly scored on us on the interior. Next year I think much of this will change with a shot-blocker the size of Chukwu. But certainly, book-ending Lydon and Roberson at forward will help at both ends of the floor.

At the 4, Roberson's not going anywhere as a senior. Limited as he is offensively, he's a beast on the offensive glass and he hustles and prolongs possessions. "Glue-guy" is probably a good expression. And with his experience, I don't see him coming off the bench.

By process of elimination, that leaves the starting spot open at SF for Lydon, assuming Richardson plays mostly SG next to Battle (the position he's best suited for). So if not for Lydon's perimeter and driving abilities, SF is certainly where the minutes are. We'll need his scoring.

Last edited:
Assuming no early entries to the NBA, DC2 stays, we don't get Thompson, and not getting caught up in who starts or doesn't start (which is why they are listed alpha below) -

C - Chukwu, Coleman
F - Lydon, Moyer, Roberson
G - Battle, Howard, Richardson

Cheers,
Neil

Assuming no early entries to the NBA, DC2 stays, we don't get Thompson, and not getting caught up in who starts or doesn't start (which is why they are listed alpha below) -

C - Chukwu, Coleman

Cheers,
Neil
Correct. Mal slides to the 2 guard and TL moves to SF. Moyer backs up the Tylers.

C - Chukwu, Coleman

Cheers,
Neil
Assuming no mid-season attrition, that is a Sweet16 to Final4 roster. But, what happens if we lose a guard to season ending injury? Teams have to have a Plan B...

I think you will hear this at the introductions:

G: Battle
G: Richardson
F: Roberson
F: Lydon
C: Coleman

People come off the bench during conference play in this order:
1. Chukwu
2. Howard (he becomes #1 if Chukwu struggles and then Lydon would move back to C, Richardson back to F, and Howard would be a G)
3. Maybe Moyer, but we'll see. I see him getting into the rotation at about the rate FH does this year at best.

If Chukwu isn't showing anything you will see Lydon and Richardson play 40 minutes a night. I think JB is going to give PC every chance he possibly can though, because the guy has the potential to be a major force multiplier on defense. If Moyer sees more than 5 or so mpg in conference it is either really great news (he is great) or really bad news (somebody is hurt).

SBU72 said:
I am not usually one to look to next year but this has crossed my mind. Where does TL play next year? Now assuming things go right for SU (ha!), DCII will be back to play center with Chukwu either starting or subbing. Roberson will be a sr lock for one forward. Moyer is suppose to be a stud at forward and Battle at guard. Some say he can be a pg. Richardson is probably going to be 2G in that case. If JB wants to have Howard as his PG, that leaves Richardson, Moyer and Battle fighting for the 2G/SF spots. So where does Lydon fit in? I personally think he is a big SF with his ability to hit the 3, drive and move inside but there is plenty of talent to play there. Is he limited then playing behind Roberson? You could make a list of things that could go wrong and follow that but that could take a whole page. Sorry, did not see the post from yesterday.

Lydon will be a super sub coming off the bench at the 3, 4, and 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom