Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon to hire agent and enter NBA draft

When a player is OK and/or struggles ...
I think you're selling Lydon short and I don't think you're watching the same game as a scout. These days, players don't need ridiculous numbers against weaker competition to display NBA skills or talent. This isn't 1992 when college players were all seniors. If a frosh/soph has the skills and can compete, then that's good enough to project him as a potential player or not.

There's been three seasons at SU since 1992-3 [Edited to add: this is wrong, the site I pulled the numbers from doesn't differentiate conference games prior to 2010-11) where a frosh or soph have averaged more than 30% from three and pulled down 4 or more rebounds per game in conference play. Two were Lydon and one was Malachi.

Last edited:
I think you're selling Lydon short and I don't think you're watching the same game as a scout. These days, players don't need ridiculous numbers against weaker competition to display NBA skills or talent. This isn't 1992 when college players were all seniors. If a frosh/soph has the skills and can compete, then that's good enough to project him as a potential player or not.

There's been three seasons at SU since 1992-3 where a frosh or soph have averaged more than 30% from three and pulled down 4 or more rebounds per game in conference play. Two were Lydon and one was Malachi.
and I think the scouts evaluate who you are playing with and how you are used. I wish Tyler dominated games here, but even if he did NBA scouts aren't looking for him to do that in the league. Depth, role guy, who can rebound, block shots, shoot it deep and knows how to play.

You're right. As you pointed out in an earlier post, it would be better to go with Dick Vitale's evaluation, as he's probably seen Lydon play a half dozen times in two years while babbling about something other than the game going on in front of him.

Vitale always says the player in question should come back.

Then he always goes nuts when a good college player gets drafted low or not at all.

Dick is a college hoops guy, and that's all he knows and cares about.

ok i'll defer to you board experts. (plus/ minus 5) . where does lydon get selected and where is he next year ? go.

Last edited:
ok i'll defer to the board experts. (plus/ minus 5) . where does lydon get selected and where is he next year ? go.

Don't know. But if he came back, he would've put on 20 pounds of muscle, averaged 25 and 12 next year, improved his handle, improved his shot, improved his alphaness, improved his go to guyishness, and been a lottery pick in a weaker draft next year. That's what I've learned from all these player leaving early discussions over the years.

plus likely he had a chance to showcase his improved game in the tournament. he's been blackholed for a month.
i watched a bit of the ncaa awards last night and it's basically a showcase for guys like swannigan and williams goss.

plus likely he had a chance to showcase his improved game in the tournament. he's been blackholed for a month.
i watched a bit of the ncaa awards last night and it's basically a showcase for guys like swannigan and williams goss.

What's that have to do with anything? Williams Goss will be lucky to get selected in the 2018 draft as a 24 year old college player. He should win all the college awards at 23 years old. What was he doing at Lydons age? That's right. Nothing.

this post's message was about pre draft exposure not age. when was the last time you heard lydon's name? who ?

Last edited:
ok i'll defer to you board experts. (plus/ minus 5) . where does lydon get selected and where is he next year ? go.

Outside of the Spurs, which is where I hope every Cuse player lands, I think he would work:

Jazz
Trailblazers
Raptors (maybe)

Really hope he avoids the Nets and Magic.

25th pick, gets traded on draft night in a three team deal, ends up being considered a sneaky good asset

she's a like a little sassy jennifa larwunch. gnomewhatisayin.

Cash-Me-Outside-Danielle-Bregoli-Dr.-Phil.jpg

There's been three seasons at SU since 1992-3 [Edited to add: this is wrong, the site I pulled the numbers from doesn't differentiate conference games prior to 2010-11) where a frosh or soph have averaged more than 30% from three and pulled down 4 or more rebounds per game in conference play. Two were Lydon and one was Malachi.

I'll look at the numbers when I have more time but Lyndon's numbers weren't the problem for the most part -- we as a team would have been better if he were averaging 18 instead of 14, but that's neither nor there relative to your point of view.

But he didn't play well. He was hesitant all over. He really struggled to create looks for himself. He doesn't put the ball on the floor. He essentially rebounded extremely well, played unselfishly and defended at the center spot.

I'm not trying to characterize it as a bad year but he didn't find himself as an offensive player all year. That makes me pause when thinking of a guy headed to the NBA as an offensive player.

I'll look at the numbers when I have more time but Lyndon's numbers weren't the problem for the most part -- we as a team would have been better if he were averaging 18 instead of 14, but that's neither nor there relative to your point of view.

But he didn't play well. He was hesitant all over. He really struggled to create looks for himself. He doesn't put the ball on the floor. He essentially rebounded extremely well, played unselfishly and defended at the center spot.

I'm not trying to characterize it as a bad year but he didn't find himself as an offensive player all year. That makes me pause when thinking of a guy headed to the NBA as an offensive player.
he was asked to play out of his natural position with a tossed together hodgepodge cast. the recipe for mediocrity.

I'm just going to throw this out there, partly because I find it interesting, and partly because I think it explains a lot about Lydon...

Lydon's 36.1 minutes per game this season would tie him with Anthony "The Brow" Davis for 8th in minutes played in the NBA.

The numbers were pretty good, I thought going in they might be a tad higher, but 13 and 8 is fine, it was the constant passiveness he showed all year, and at times down the stretch where he had iffy games, that and he needs to get stronger.

he was asked to play out of his natural position with a tossed together hodgepodge cast. the recipe for mediocrity.

He was at the 5 partly b/c he defended the position so well and partly b/c he wasn't particularly good on the wing.

I'm not knocking lydon and a less than ideal cast hurts, but anyone who watched him play and didn't cringe a little from time to time just sees the game much differently than me.

And again -- I hold zero I'll will in terms of his leaving. It's all good. Just wish we didn't lose players after meh years. Rather lose a guy like lydon after a kennard-type year.

i guess i accept it. but it don't make it right. seems like i read this sad script over and over before.

Kevin Sandusky: You guys all read the script, right?

Kirk Lazarus: I don't read the script, script reads me.

pic_1567000.jpg

tyler lydon would have been better served coming back next year and proving he could play with the big boys.

There's no sentiment in free market capitalism.
What if every stand-out talent at SU had jumped to the pros after a season or two?
Who would we cherish with fond memories of watching them mature from gangly frosh to polished seniors?
That's what I miss most about these phenoms that are only here to market themselves for the big show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom