LYDON | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LYDON

Then I guess we should say goodbye now- Lydon gone- Briancuse gone.

Neither ready but we all know being ready has nothing to do with it anymore. We will miss you both.

How do we even know that Nba teams are high on him?

Lydon has the dreaded word, "potential". But, IMHO he won't make it in the NBA unless he takes on a more aggressive/positive/alpha dog/add your description, attitude.

1) Pump fakes work if your driving is respected. He has no handle and no real mid-range game.

2) I stopped counting at 7 wide open three's he passed up.

3) He gets rebounds right under the basket and his first instinct is to kick it out, instead of cramming it.

4) His matador defense at the back end of the press is so weak.

I like Tyler a lot but he needs to play a lot better. The stat line doesn't tell the whole story.

I wish the guy worked on his physique this offseason. He needed to add some muscle. He will likely go pro too. Not sure how he's much more than a G-league guy for a few years before he winds up overseas. I don't see a successful NBA player.

Was at the game today. He was one of two players who showed up for us.

And yet Iommi's critique is spot on.

He works hard, but lacks confidence and plays tentative.

JB should yank him every time he passes up an open 3.

Unusual combination for a potentially great player.

Was at the game today. He was one of two players who showed up for us.

And yet Iommi's critique is spot on.

He works hard, but lacks confidence and plays tentative.

JB should yank him every time he passes up an open 3.

Unusual combination for a potentially great player.
Yep, Lydon tried and had a double-double, so it looks good in the box score but he didn't do what we needed him to do. He needed to propel us. He has to stop deferring.

We have guys that have no basic fundamentals and spend our time critiquing Lydon.
Because we know those guys can't play better. People criticize Lydon because they can see the talent there. It's just not being executed enough to carry the team, which is his ceiling. Why couldn't he be first All-conference and POTY candidate? No one had those kind of expectations for Howard or Roberson.

But you know what's hilarious? I spent all summer arguing with people that thought Lydon should come off the bench in favor of starting Roberson.

I really thought he was going to have a huge year, I don't think I have ever been more wrong going into a season about a player.

But you know what's hilarious? I spent all summer arguing with people that thought Lydon should come off the bench in favor of starting Roberson.

I was one of those. Not one of my better board moments.

Briancuse: every year, you say so-and-so isn't leaving.

Then they do.

Maybe there will be a new script this year. But I wouldn't bet on it.

The thing is all the guys who left, they all got better as the season has gone on, Lydon has regressed, and pretty badly too.

Yep, Lydon tried and had a double-double, so it looks good in the box score but he didn't do what we needed him to do. He needed to propel us. He has to stop deferring.
I was surprised to hear Lydon's stats.
He very quietly put up nice - but meaningless - numbers.

You can't change someone's personality.
But you can work on his game.
Offensively, Tyler Lydon needs to get to the hoop and hit the open 3's.
In his favor, he does a lot of little things that don't show up in the box score.
He's a good all-around player
And all too often the guards don't find him when he has something going in the post.

Defensively, he's getting torched on so many alley-oops.

The only things that prevented this game from being an even bigger blowout were Louisville's poor free throw & 3-point shooting and the aggressive play of Tyus Battle.

Maybe if Roberson was starting from the get go, he'd not been the train wreck he's been. He's lost all confidence.

I don't I believe the above but I'm leaving this post here anyway. Roberson is a mess and it's tough to look at.

Last edited:
Col. Beep, you change someone's personality but you can change the mindset they play with. Tyler Lydon is capable of taking over games. He's done so. He just doesn't bring that all the time.

I was one of them. It wasn't because Roberson was a better player, but JAB rewards seniors. Heck, I'm surprised he isn't still trotting out Coleman for 2 minutes. There were also a lot of people arguing all sorts of stuff that didn't come to fruition either.

It's not just that he's unselfish, it's that he kills our offense when he's unselfish. Him passing up open threes either results in a turnover or a rushed shot late in the clock. He has zero handle or burst so I'm not sure where he thinks he's going when he pumps to dribble drive.

I was one of them. It wasn't because Roberson was a better player, but JAB rewards seniors. Heck, I'm surprised he isn't still trotting out Coleman for 2 minutes. There were also a lot of people arguing all sorts of stuff that didn't come to fruition either.
I think Coleman's body is probably just done.

He's the only guy playing hard every minute he's in there. And JB is playing him too many minutes. What did JB have to say about him again today?
He's young and will develop strength and endurance, but in the NBA he would need to play 3-4 times/week from Oct- April

It's not just that he's unselfish, it's that he kills our offense when he's unselfish. Him passing up open threes either results in a turnover or a rushed shot late in the clock. He has zero handle or burst so I'm not sure where he thinks he's going when he pumps to dribble drive.

All good points. Just don't see his progression this year and see his fit at the next level. He has been underwhelming this year. Many games in the single digits in points and rebounds. Not sure where his game fits in at the next level. Geeez, hope he stays.

If he's not going to take like open looks, how about snapping off a quick pass on occasion? The pump fakes to nowhere bog things down.

He had a couple bad looks today - that one fast break where he dished back to Roberson was phenomenal. One of the worst possessions of the year and it started with like a 4 on 1 fast break.

Anyway, I feel like Battle, Gillon have both shown an inclination to take over when we needed them. White as well. Thompson and Howard seem to try all the time - that probably isn't for the best. Lydon, the last time I remember thinking he was trying to assert his will on a game was UNC. That was a while ago. When he passes up an open shot with like 9 seconds on the shot clock to get it Thompson 19 feet from the hoop my head just about explodes. lol Love the kid, just want him to step up when we're struggling - he's capable.

I do think all the banging down low probably hurts his offensive game overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom