LYDON | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LYDON

You guys are all overthinking this. Lydon's problem is pretty simple, he takes way too long to get his shot off so he has to use a shot fake but the problem is that there is a second guy waiting on his shot fake... not right on top
of him but close enough to bother his slow shot. To compound matters he is too slow to make someone pay for closing hard on him so he is very limited on the perimeter this year.

I'm no shooting expert but the problem to me is that his shot starts at his right hip area so it takes him forever to get his shot off. This also negates his height advantage over smaller perimeter players because the ball starts at a level where they can get it. When I learned to shoot I learned to load my shot with the ball next to my right ear... of course I taught myself to shoot by watching hoops on tv so I could be way off. Anyways if he starts his shot higher up he might be able to get it off faster which would improve his confidence.

Anyways I'm a total amateur so I could be off my rocker l.

He's the only guy playing hard every minute he's in there. And JB is playing him too many minutes. What did JB have to say about him again today?
I disagree. He goes through the motions on defense. He is totally lost when he plays defense on the wing. He's a little lazy too. SU doesn't have a single player with a high motor.

I disagree. He goes through the motion on defense. He is totally lost when he plays defense on the wing. He's a little lazy too. SU doesn't have a single player with a high motor.

Battle has a motor but he's been surprisingly underwhelming on defense. He was so great on d in high school. He's okay but a little inconsistent, especially with his close outs.

Lydon shows why you should leave when you can. If he stays, and doesn't improve next year then he will drift on into the 2nd round. He was probably top 20 last year.

Seriously? I think he is well into the second round already. Just don't see his fit in the league. He needs a 3rd year at the cuse but will never happen. These kids are tagged like fish in their frosh year and soph stumps don't matter. Sad. Thus, the unwatchable status of the NBA.

I love the kids game he is capable of playing. BUT!

1-He's driving me crazy with the often mentioned fake that no defensive man takes serious.

2-He must have set a new record today for open 3 pointers he passed up.

He needs to get to take and/or make more opportunities.

Get tough Tyler!
Today he missed some good looks from deep early, and then seemed even more hesitant to shoot than usual. Perhaps he just wasn't "feeling it" with his jump shot today. He did eventually find other ways to score and was our best rebounder out there, so he did contribute more than anyone out there today save for Battle.

Seriously? I think he is well into the second round already. Just don't see his fit in the league. He needs a 3rd year at the cuse but will never happen. These kids are tagged like fish in their frosh year and soph stumps don't matter. Sad. Thus, the unwatchable status of college hoops.

Fixed it for you. I take it you don't watch much NBA.

Fixed it for you. I take it you don't watch much NBA.

Actually, i do, while its torture,,educate me as to TL's fit in the league. I am interested. At 6'9" , he plays soft inside, isnt good from the 3 pt line. Is an ok rebounder. Needs 10-20# of weight to have a shot if and when he decides to hit the boards hard. Much of that commentary from whomever did the game today for CBS.

Actually, i do, while its torture,,educate me as to TL's fit in the league. I am interested. At 6'9" , he plays soft inside, isnt good from the 3 pt line. Is an ok rebounder. Needs 10-20# of weight to have a shot if and when he decides to hit the boards hard. Much of that commentary from whomever did the game today for CBS.
Hardly any first round draft picks are making an impact anymore in the NBA. A lot of these kids are so raw that they still have diaper rash. Who is the best rookie this season? No NBA exec is expecting TL to come into the league and be a starter. He will definitely get some DLeague time and if lucky get some run in the NBA. These teams are drafting for two and three years down the road.

It's gotten to the point where it's like a yearling horse auction. That's where you buy a one year old horse all predicated on his lineage. Some run as two year olds and some don't. The NBA draft is now a horse auction.

What's good from the 3 point line? He shoots 40%. Do you expect 60???

And you know this how? Have you talked with NBA execs? I'm not sure that he is leaving early. But if he does, God bless him and I wish him well.

Have you been watching the games, you don't think they are keeping an eye him?

He's young and will develop strength and endurance, but in the NBA he would need to play 3-4 times/week from Oct- April
Yep. But he's a 20-25 mpg guy in the league. But still needs more stamina (cue Michael Scott meme)

I disagree. He goes through the motions on defense. He is totally lost when he plays defense on the wing. He's a little lazy too. SU doesn't have a single player with a high motor.
You can that's fair. It's fair to say he's lost on the wing. But he's not lazy. Coach has a pretty good sense on this one.

He's going to be a fine second unit stretch four in the NBA. He's terrible to keep putting into action in our offense when he's never going to take a three pointer. He's not an alpha. Fine for the NBA, but not fine for us when we have other options.

Last edited:
For some reason I see him using the new NBA draft rules to go workout for teams without an agent, then he comes back after the teams see that he is not physically ready yet.

Hope not for his sake, but I just don't see him going to these combines and blowing away the teams with his athleticism like Malachi, Dion, etc did.

At this point, and it pains me to say this, I think it would be borderline dumb for Lydon to come back next year. He needs to grab the guaranteed first round money while he still can because come next year's draft he'll be 22 years old and guys at that age rarely see their stock go up. His numbers probably won't improve to the level of production that a 22 year old needs to warrant a top 15 spot because he isn't going to all of a sudden be blowing by guys off the dribble or something.

Everyone knows what he is at this point so go get paid before they change their mind.

I didn't bother watching the second half, because the game; his in particular was frustrating to watch. He passed up a number of open opportunities and didn't really come to play until the second half according to his statline. He is what he is. He's soft in the middle, but will be a stretch 3/4 in the NBA; more likely a three as he can't bang down low.

Hardly any first round draft picks are making an impact anymore in the NBA.
Most first round picks don't pan out ... What's the standard? They should be all-stars their first season? James Harden didn't even start until he went to Houston and he was the 3rd overall pick in 2009. It took Jimmy Butler 3 years to break into the starting lineup. Durant or Anthony Davis are a once every 3-4 years type player, Curry didn't make an all-star game until he'd been in the league 4-5 years.

Karl-Anthony Towns and Devin Booker from 2015 are having pretty good years. Wiggins is doing well for himself. Aaron Gordon just made his way into the starting rotation. Jabari Parker was improving every year despite batting injuries. There will be good players every draft and whiffs every year, too. If just 10 out every top-20 in the draft were "impact" players, after about five years there would only be 5 picks every draft.

What I don't understand is why the other players and coaches don't openly roast lydon for passing shots up. Early in the year Boeheim said he needs to shoot more in the presser but you rarely see them bring it up in the games. Yes, lydon needs to actually execute, and we don't know what happens in timeout (certainly not many sets are drawn up :) ), but you would still think the others would be more animated about it.

I play pick up with a buddy from high school who is an incredibly smart guard. Very good with the ball, few turnovers, great shooter (relatively of course). He definitely doesn't shoot as much as he could. When I pass the ball to him and he doesn't shoot I rip him for it. The players on the court need to emphatically let it be known to him that he needs to shoot the damn ball. It sounds crazy, but it's not.

What I don't understand is why the other players and coaches don't openly roast lydon for passing shots up. Early in the year Boeheim said he needs to shoot more in the presser but you rarely see them bring it up in the games. Yes, lydon needs to actually execute, and we don't know what happens in timeout (certainly not many sets are drawn up :) ), but you would still think the others would be more animated about it.

I play pick up with a buddy from high school who is an incredibly smart guard. Very good with the ball, few turnovers, great shooter (relatively of course). He definitely doesn't shoot as much as he could. When I pass the ball to him and he doesn't shoot I rip him for it. The players on the court need to emphatically let it be known to him that he needs to shoot the damn ball. It sounds crazy, but it's not.
I'm hoping eventually Lydon will see the crappy shots he and his teammates end up with after he pump fakes away those solid looks and the light bulb will go on for him.

30 games into the season...

Lol, i agree, think he has had a pedestrian season at best. I realize he is out of position defensively at the center position, but he isn't playing center on offense and he doesn't have a consistent outside shot and doesnt have a knack inside.

Lol, i agree, think he has had a pedestrian season at best. I realize he is out of position defensively at the center position, but he isn't playing center on offense and he doesn't have a consistent outside shot and doesnt have a knack inside.

What's consistent outside if 40% isn't? You keep dodging the question.

What's consistent outside if 40% isn't? You keep dodging the question.

I get you , good point. 40% from 3 land is good. Thing is he turns down open 3's for some reason. Also, for the minutes he logs, 13 and 8 isnt anything special. Slow feet and a lack of game in and around the hoop hurts his offensive game. Heck, hope he stays but for some crazy reason he is projected to go inside the first 2 rounds. The NBA fell in love last year and obviously doesn't care about this year.