Lydon | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon

Matt Bonner was light on his feet and a physical specimen.

Nice comparison, Bonner was a late 2nd rounder, not as highly touted as TL. He has a better frame than TL, Esp the upper body. Would love to see TL prove me wrong but MB had a much more productive college career.

I agree with this. Jimmy Butler, Boogie Cousins, Parsons, of course Westbrook are just a couple of examples of guys who developed during the beginning of their NBA tenures. They are better athletes than Lydon. I was watching TJ Leaf move around yesterday against USC and Lydon isn't in his league in terms of agility and athleticism, imo.

You're talking about stars, except for Parsons.

Nice comparison, Bonner was a late 2nd rounder, not as highly touted as TL. He has a better frame than TL, Esp the upper body. Would love to see TL prove me wrong but MB had a much more productive college career.

That's the kind of role I can see Lydon carving out. Lydon is a better athlete than Bonner.

Lydon would not even be in the discussion if it wasn't for his freshman year. He hasn't looked at all like a future pro this year.

You're talking about stars, except for Parsons.

Nobody predicted Butler would be an all-star someday. He was the 30th pick in Round 1. Parsons isn't a star but he's had quite a nice career. Around 14 ppg over his career. His big jump came from jr-sr year in college then in the pros.

Nobody predicted Butler would be an all-star someday. He was the 30th pick in Round 1. Parsons isn't a star but he's had quite a nice career. Around 14 ppg over his career. His big jump came from jr-sr year in college then in the pros.

Right, but I'm going with the athleticism point. In order to surprisingly develop into a star like that(or a solid player like pre-injury Parsons) that athleticism has to be there, I agree.

But Lydon can still develop into a useful player despite not having that athleticism. He's not going to be a star though, I think we all agree there.

That's the kind of role I can see Lydon carving out. Lydon is a better athlete than Bonner.

Hope you are right. TL's frame scares me the most. He still has the baby fat and dont see him adding muscle to that frame. Hope i am wrong. Good talk:) lets get into this dance.

Right, but I'm going with the athleticism point. In order to surprisingly develop into a star like that(or a solid player like pre-injury Parsons) that athleticism has to be there, I agree.

But Lydon can still develop into a useful player despite not having that athleticism. He's not going to be a star though, I think we all agree there.

For sure. I just don't know what would be better. For him to get more nimble and athletic to be able to play smaller or go that Bonner route which is a good comparison but if he gains too much weight then it could be null and void. I don't know. We know he can shoot but that's about it.

For sure. I just don't know what would be better. For him to get more nimble and athletic to be able to play smaller or go that Bonner route which is a good comparison but if he gains too much weight then it could be null and void. I don't know. We know he can shoot but that's about it.

Besides being able to shoot, I do think he's a smart player who can clearly fit into being a complimentary player...no adjustment to be made there! I think he's got pretty good overall awareness on the court. Like most players, luck has to be on his side as far as where he ends up. Getting an opportunity with a good organization with the good coaches and system can make all the difference. How many times has a guy you've never heard of or never thought would be much of a pro ended up on being a useful player for the Spurs? I think even Waiters might be a good example. He's got a good coach, organization, and opportunity to play to his strengths right now and he's thriving, after being largely written off.

College production has nothing to do with your NBA stock. That's what posters on this board never get. Marquise Chriss was a lottery pick that averaged 9 points a game. There's a reason Bonzie Colson will never be in the NBA. I don't care how many points he averages.

Last edited:
College production has nothing to do with your NBA stock. That's what posters on this board never get. Marquise Chris's was a lottery pick that averaged 9 points a game. There's a reason Bonnie Colson will never be in the NBA. I don't care how many points he averages.

Good point, but Colson is a rare example. He is "big" for ND that is 6'5". A wide body who has a knack for getting a shot mid range. Agree, he doesn't have a position in the NBA. That said, Colson, is a rare example.

Agree with Cuseguy that he is not an NBA player at this time.

Not that that will stop him from leaving. He will.

Classic example of a guy who should stay four years and then maybe.

He's not a catch and shoot 4. He's a catch and hesitate and pass to someone who's covered 4.

If he leaves now his trajectory is D League and then Europe.

Why do you believe he'll develop better in college than in the NBDL? Most basketball related arguments favor the opposite position.

Just curious as to that school of thought.

On another note I'm not sure a lot of people have followed the progress of the NBDL. It's in a transformative phase right now and has more financial resources. The development of players is a huge part of that league.

Good point, but Colson is a rare example. He is "big" for ND that is 6'5". A wide body who has a knack for getting a shot mid range. Agree, he doesn't have a position in the NBA. That said, Colson, is a rare example.
Not really. There are plenty of guys every year who put up big numbers in the college game who will never get a sniff in the NBA because their size, athleticism and/or skill set would be inadequate at that level.

If we had a half-way decent PG situation it would make more sense for him to comeback. The make up of this team, and possibly next year's team will be doing more damage to his draft stock than anything he does/doesn't do.

If Lydon leaves it's going to be extremely difficult to replace him. The sabermetrics people had him as our 2nd best player last year and our best player this year. The people writing him off as just another player don't know what they are talking about.

Not really. There are plenty of guys every year who put up big numbers in the college game who will never get a sniff in the NBA because their size, athleticism and/or skill set would be inadequate at that level.

Thats my point.

If Lydon leaves it's going to be extremely difficult to replace him. The sabermetrics people had him as our 2nd best player last year and our best player this year. The people writing him off as just another player don't know what they are talking about.
Yea, I don't buy that at all.

Absolutely no way he was anywhere close to our best player. Could care less what sabermetrics people have to say. That is an absurd assertion.

True, and TL put up poor numbers this year, including 4 pts against the U in the ACC tourney. We are 0-5 in the ACC tourney. Anyone care?

True, and TL put up poor numbers this year, including 4 pts against the U in the ACC tourney. We are 0-5 in the ACC tourney. Anyone care?

Who's the last sophomore that put up numbers like Lydon?

0-3.

Why do you believe he'll develop better in college than in the NBDL? Most basketball related arguments favor the opposite position.

Just curious as to that school of thought.

On another note I'm not sure a lot of people have followed the progress of the NBDL. It's in a transformative phase right now and has more financial resources. The development of players is a huge part of that league.

You are correct. He could do well in the NBDL and if he gets the chance I expect he will grab it.

The lack of athletism and JB's proclamation that he is a 40 min. man are linked in my view. If he was being properly subbed, we would see a different Tyler.

One thing to consider is that Lydon absolutely could not play aggressive on D this season or last because he was so important and he doesn't have a backup. That's going to suppress some stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom