"Major changes for next year." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Major changes for next year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good way to look at the top programs. I'd drop Michigan and put Ville/UCLA ahead of Cuse (on tradition). That makes SU 10th. Which feels right. Florida will drop off once Donovan leaves. They lucked out with him and backdoored another F4 appearance too.

SU may not have a corner office, but we most certainly have a door and a window. :D

I don't kn0w what it is. Our program has been one of the most consistent regular season programs but we suck in the post season. Is JB running the guys dead during the season by going only 7-8 deep? I agree we need to switch something up, possibly starting with the defense.

I think the number he actually plays has more to do with the way the players are playing and not because he's bent on only playing 7 or 8.

I would gain a lot more admiration for JB if he realized he couldn't' necessarily do it the way he wants to and realizes man to man might be his best option for next year.
I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. I'm also starting to question how well the zone is going to play out in the ACC. Since 25-0, we have 't really set the world on fire in the zone.
LOL who says man to man is the best option for next year? You?

I think we really have dropped the ball with guard recruiting the past few years. Not enough PG depth and ballhandling. Boeheim stressed before this season that last year was a mistake in terms of Ennis/Cooney playing too many minutes. Yet they don't get tired? Other teams lost lead guards, NBA guards, and managed pretty well. What happened this year? Cooney is playing ridiculous minutes again and Silent G is trying to play PG. I don't want to discuss Joseph in order to prevent ulcers. It's the lack of guard depth in the recruiting which gets a team in these binds. That's on the staff. You can't play with one PG on your team over the course of two seasons. One last year and zero this year.

There is data that has been presented in other threads that proves we don't suck in the post season. I think we were 9th. And you forget we went to the final 4 a couple years ago?
And don't forget to add that Duke this year basically played only 7 guys. In their regional final win, only the starting 5 scored. So I guess playing 7-8 isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

I think we really have dropped the ball with guard recruiting the past few years. Not enough PG depth and ballhandling. Boeheim stressed before this season that last year was a mistake in terms of Ennis/Cooney playing too many minutes. Yet they don't get tired? Other teams lost lead guards, NBA guards, and managed pretty well. What happened this year? Cooney is playing ridiculous minutes again and Silent G is trying to play PG. I don't want to discuss Joseph in order to prevent ulcers. It's the lack of guard depth in the recruiting which gets a team in these binds. That's on the staff. You can't play with one PG on your team over the course of two seasons. One last year and zero this year.
I believe in the previous 2 recruiting cycles, we have lost potential help at PG because our #2 pick did not want to play second banana to our #1 choice (Ennis/Jordan and Joseph/Newton). I understand with Newton because he, and everyone else, expected Ennis to return for a second year.

"Major changes for next year."

In many ways not much is going to change. We are going to make shots, we are going to miss shots, we are going to win games, and we are going to lose games. I am going to go out on limb here and predict we will see JB play the 2-3 zone.

I don't get how people complain about how we recruit for the zone??? That's our system, that's what we do. To give you another comparison I live in Wisconsin, go back and watch the Badgers 3-5 years ago when they didn't have the ideal guys for their swing offense. It wasn't pretty at times. However, their offense looks great now, but people quickly forget once things struggle for a short period of time. When we went to the final four in 2013 that was solely because of the zone.

Zone, schmone.

We have struggled scoring points the past couple seasons, y'all.

I believe in the previous 2 recruiting cycles, we have lost potential help at PG because our #2 pick did not want to play second banana to our #1 choice (Ennis/Jordan and Joseph/Newton). I understand with Newton because he, and everyone else, expected Ennis to return for a second year.

I think you are right. Still, you have to get some more help in. Throw in Cat Barber with Jordan. :(

Zone, schmone.

We have struggled scoring points the past couple seasons, y'all.

Yeah, we have to stop playing 2-3 zone on offense.

I think you are right. Still, you have to get some more help in. Throw in Cat Barber with Jordan. :(

Maybe we should have hired Isaiah Whitehead's coach after all.

I think PG may need a little more attention. But no one predicted TE would be one and done.

Wow you guys are over generalizing based on this season.

This season got screwed up because we had Ennis and Grant unexpectedly go pro. We also had a big who was medically unable to go in DC. Having those three guys significantly changes the complexion of the roster.

For you guys saying we should not take chino, BJ or Ron type of players; are you out of your minds?

They were expected to be the 10th. 11th and 12th guys on the bench. How good do you really expect those guys to be? Would it have been nice if they could have contributed more, sure. But do you really think we are getting 4 or 5 star players to be that deep on JBs bench?

While we are limited to 10 guys by sanctions we may have to be careful with "projects", but if we hadn't had those projects on the roster, this season would have been a real treat.

This season got screwed up because we had Ennis and Grant unexpectedly go pro. We also had a big who was medically unable to go in DC. Having those three guys significantly changes the complexion of the roster.

For you guys saying we should not take chino, BJ or Ron type of players; are you out of your minds?

They were expected to be the 10th. 11th and 12th guys on the bench. How good do you really expect those guys to be? Would it have been nice if they could have contributed more, sure. But do you really think we are getting 4 or 5 star players to be that deep on JBs bench?

While we are limited to 10 guys by sanctions we may have to be careful with "projects", but if we hadn't had those projects on the roster, this season would have been a real treat.
People have VERY short memories...

Respectfully disagree, Obokoh was a 3 star, not sure about BJ and Patterson. I think most of SUs bball recruits are 4-5 stars. Our incoming frosh are all 4-5 stars as well.

You make some good points. TE leaving hurt us the most. Grant not so much. I thought RP would have made a bigger contribution. TC needed to be more consistent. I thought KJ2 played did as well as I expected. I think KJ2 will be much better this season coming up. I think TR could be our big superstar next season.

It's not so bad if those 5 are Mickie Dees and playing like it.

And don't forget to add that Duke this year basically played only 7 guys. In their regional final win, only the starting 5 scored. So I guess playing 7-8 isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

this is my point, the majority of fans on this board are ok with being mediocre. We have 4 final fours in 40 years.. that's pathetic for an elite program. sure we went to a final four a few years ago but what about the other seasons? when we recruit mediocre kids then we should accept mediocre results.

Christian Laettner has been to as many final fours as us.

I think PG may need a little more attention. But no one predicted TE would be one and done.

Right. But when JB was quoted in the offseason saying it was a mistake playing Ennis/Cooney too much then it leads me to believe that, in hindsight, another PG probably should've been brought in.

I don't get how people complain about how we recruit for the zone??? That's our system, that's what we do. To give you another comparison I live in Wisconsin, go back and watch the Badgers 3-5 years ago when they didn't have the ideal guys for their swing offense. It wasn't pretty at times. However, their offense looks great now, but people quickly forget once things struggle for a short period of time. When we went to the final four in 2013 that was solely because of the zone.
Ask Francis, in the recruiting forum, about players we've passed over because "zone". It's a list that will make you want to throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom