"Major changes for next year." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"Major changes for next year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my point, the majority of fans on this board are ok with being mediocre. We have 4 final fours in 40 years.. that's pathetic for an elite program. sure we went to a final four a few years ago but what about the other seasons? when we recruit mediocre kids then we should accept mediocre results.

First, at least get your facts right. It's 5 Final Fours, not 4.

Second, ... mediocre? Get a grip.

Ask Francis, in the recruiting forum, about players we've passed over because "zone". It's a list that will make you want to throw up.
I'm well aware of that. However, we're very fortunate to be in a position where we get our choice of elite talent. I agree, we have had some misses lately recruiting. Most of that has to do with Joseph. It's pretty simple, if Ennis stays 2 or 3 years like everyone expected we're not talking about those other players.

I would gain a lot more admiration for JB if he realized he couldn't' necessarily do it the way he wants to and realizes man to man might be his best option for next year.
I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. I'm also starting to question how well the zone is going to play out in the ACC. Since 25-0, we have 't really set the world on fire in the zone.
So you think defense was the problem this year....ok..

Respectfully disagree, Obokoh was a 3 star, not sure about BJ and Patterson. I think most of SUs bball recruits are 4-5 stars. Our incoming frosh are all 4-5 stars as well.

I'm having trouble reproducing it, but the Rivals database shows BJ, Chino and Patterson all as 3 star recruits. In our program those guys are unlikely to be immediate contributors.

Name Pos Location Ht Wt 40 Stars Rivals Rating Committed Videos
Tyler Ennis
PG Newark, NJSt. Benedict's HS 6'2" 180 0.00 5 stars
08/16/2012 6 videos
B.J. Johnson SF Ardmore, PALower Merion 6'6" 170 0.00 3 stars
10/16/2012
Chinonso Obokoh PF Rochester, NYBishop Kearney 6'9" 220 0.00 3 stars
10/15/2012
Ron Patterson SG Wolfeboro, NHBrewster Academy 6'3" 200 0.00 3 stars
11/05/2012
Tyler Roberson PF Roselle, NJRoselle Catholic 6'8" 210 0.00 4 stars
11/23/2012 3 videos

I'm having trouble reproducing it, but the Rivals database shows BJ, Chino and Patterson all as 3 star recruits. In our program those guys are unlikely to be immediate contributors.

Tyler Ennis
08/16/2012 6 videos
10/16/2012
10/15/2012
11/05/2012
11/23/2012 3 videos
So bj was rated 4stars by scout and ESPN and in the top 100 at 82 and 89. So it all depends what source you want to use to support your argument.

bpo57 said:
Technically we have four final four appearances in the last 40 seasons.

We are tied for 13th as a school and JB is tied for 12th as a coach. Is that horrible?

We are tied for 13th as a school and JB is tied for 12th as a coach. Is that horrible?

I think you are asking the wrong guy. There was some dispute over how many Final 4s SU has been to in the last 40 seasons - 4 or 5? The answer is 4. Now to answer your question - of course that is not horrible. It's excellent.

Technically we have four final four appearances in the last 40 seasons.
But that isn't how the original poster framed the question. He said "Christian Laettner has as many Final Fours as we do". Which is not correct.

And, the current head coach had a lot to do with the '75 team, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
bpo57 said:
I think you are asking the wrong guy. There was some dispute over how many Final 4s SU has been to in the last 40 seasons - 4 or 5? The answer is 4. Now to answer your question - of course that is not horrible. It's excellent.

How literal is 40 years? To the day? 1975 should count IMO.

But that isn't how the original poster framed the question.

And, the current head coach had a lot to do with the '75 team, for what it's worth.

Not trying to spar with you longtimer but I re-read the original post. Help me out I didn't even see a question framed. Somebody above said 4 titles in 40 years and he was obviously referrng to JB's tenure. I don't agree with his sentiments but he was correct in that it was four F4s in 40 seasons. BTW does Mike Brey get credit for Coach Ks early titles?

How literal is 40 years? To the day? 1975 should count IMO.

Pretty obvious he was talking about JB's tenure. In any event I am happy to provide permission to count the 5th F4.

Not trying to spar with you longtimer but I re-read the original post. Help me out I didn't even see a question framed. Somebody above said 4 titles in 40 years and he was obviously referrng to JB's tenure. I don't agree with his sentiments but he was correct in that it was four F4s in 40 seasons. BTW does Mike Brey get credit for Coach Ks early titles?
I didn't respond to the OP. I did to #46 above, which referred to Laettner. I can be picky when choosing what post I respond to. I was born to be an editor. Or a pedant.

I didn't respond to the OP. I did to #46 above, which referred to Laettner. I can be picky when choosing what post I respond to. I was born to be an editor. Or a pedant.

Gotcha. You threw me off when you referenced the OP. No worries.

If we make it second round in the NCAA's next year
First, at least get your facts right. It's 5 Final Fours, not 4.

Second, ... mediocre? Get a grip.

actually its 4

Tyler Ennis
08/16/2012 6 videos
10/16/2012
10/15/2012
11/05/2012
11/23/2012 3 videos

what the heck are we recruiting 3 star recruits for? i dont care how sensitive some people on here are about these "kids". I was banned 3 times for being critical for bj johnson and now the kid isn't in the program! instead wisc and duke are playing tomorrow night and we are getting ready for a season with obokah smh...every single recruit that comes here better be able to make an impact right away or Adios. getting sick of these project kids. Johnson went to lasalle and Patterson went to some mid level school. gee I wonder why! recruits probably know Syracuse only goes after "sure things" so they stay away. Every big time recruit gets interest from duke, Kansas, unc, Kentucky, Louisville but not Syracuse. why the hell not? oh yeah that's right, we're going after kids like Patterson and Johnson. what a joke

Ask Francis, in the recruiting forum, about players we've passed over because "zone". It's a list that will make you want to throw up.

Baylor has been super impressive the past couple of seasons in conference. They improved heading into March. Unfortunately stall ball killed them in the tourney this year. They play zone as a primary defense, rebound VERY well (18th in Def Rbpg, 20th Overall Rbpg), and don't necessarily have the length and beanpoles SU deems necessary to play zone. Of course having a monster rebounder like Rico Gathers helps but they rebound well. Kenny Cherry is listed 5'11. Wainwright, Taurean Prince, Gathers, etc. aren't exactly super long dudes. I'll be interested to see moving forward if we get some better basketball players in here and fewer beanpole projects.

what the heck are we recruiting 3 star recruits for? i dont care how sensitive some people on here are about these "kids". I was banned 3 times for being critical for bj johnson and now the kid isn't in the program! instead wisc and duke are playing tomorrow night and we are getting ready for a season with obokah smh...every single recruit that comes here better be able to make an impact right away or Adios. getting sick of these project kids. Johnson went to lasalle and Patterson went to some mid level school. gee I wonder why! recruits probably know Syracuse only goes after "sure things" so they stay away. Every big time recruit gets interest from duke, Kansas, unc, Kentucky, Louisville but not Syracuse. why the hell not? oh yeah that's right, we're going after kids like Patterson and Johnson. what a joke
By the by, Wisconsin is full of 3-star (and less) recruits. They are chosen because they fit the coach's system --where have we heard that before?.

Our recent problem (in addition to the upcoming reduction in scholarships) is that recruits we had counted on for X number of years have stayed for X-1 or X-2 instead, leaving us short.

If we make it second round in the NCAA's next year

actually its 4

No, it's 5 in the last 40 years (your time period): 1975, 1987, 1996, 2003, and 2013.

You couldn't even look that up before doubling down?

So, thanks for clarifying. Your facts are just as screwed up as your opinions.

Last edited:
Joseph might be the better defender.

Joseph is a terrible defender. Not sure Richardson can be much worse, and if he is that's a huge issue.

pfister1 said:
In our program those guys are unlikely to be immediate contributors.

In our program 3-star talent will eventually transfer or ride the bench for life. If they are contributors either we have a hidden gem (moten) or we're in deep trouble.

By the by, Wisconsin is full of 3-star (and less) recruits. They are chosen because they fit the coach's system --where have we heard that before?.

Our recent problem (in addition to the upcoming reduction in scholarships) is that recruits we had counted on for X number of years have stayed for X-1 or X-2 instead, leaving us short.

Our offense has mostly been a disaster with guys like Ennis, Grant, even MCW playing.

Every big time recruit gets interest from duke, Kansas, unc, Kentucky, Louisville but not Syracuse. why the hell not? oh yeah that's right, we're going after kids like Patterson and Johnson. what a joke

Syracuse had interest in
Jahlil Okafor
Isaiah Whitehead
Noah Vonleh
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Wayne Selden
Nerlens Noel
Anthony Davis

Big time enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics