"Major changes for next year." | Syracusefan.com

"Major changes for next year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
I think it's safe to say there will be major changes next year. This roster is looking quite a bit different than we anticipated back in January. The bigs we have now are the bigs we're going to have for the next two years. With ZERO shot blockers on next year's team, JB has to adjust and play some man to man. We have no shot blocking forwards anywhere on this roster and no shot blocking centers. This team will also struggle to rebound out of the zone. JB has to relent and play man to man next year. I have always been pro-zone, but I don't see how this team can win playing zone. We will have more lineup flexibility if we play man too.

With TB going to IU it might allow us three recruits for next year. I'm assuming we might get the three reduced to two. I think it's important to get three next year for roster balance. If we lose out on Battle, SU's perception around the country might change. If we sign Battle, everyone will know we're going to stay in the hunt for top talent. Battle no longer needs to wait to commit, since we know we have at least two scholarships open for next year. In a perfect world, maybe Giles wants to leave home like TB and decides to come north. I'm not sure what other bigs SU is persuing.

we need to stop recruiting scrubs like obokah, BJ, Patterson etc if we want to be elite. one championship is a red flag for an "elite program". i'll bleed orange till the day I die but doesn't mean I cant be critical of the program. clearly something isn't working

we need to stop recruiting scrubs like obokah, BJ, Patterson etc if we want to be elite. one championship is a red flag for an "elite program". i'll bleed orange till the day I die but doesn't mean I cant be critical of the program. clearly something isn't working
BJJ wasn't a scrub although he needed some development. Patterson and Obokoh are definitely head scratchers. I thought we were past the days of a Sean Williams type player eating up a scholarship.

Recruiting for the zone is getting kind of annoying.

Last edited:
BJJ wasn't a scrub although he needed some development. Patterson and Obokoh are definitely head scratchers. I thought we were passed the days of Sean Williams type player eating up a scholarship.

Recruiting for the zone is getting kind of annoying.
Especially since they lost Rysheed Jordan and took Patterson instead. Now that may have been the opposite (lost Jordan because he thought he'd have too much competition with Ennis is returning and they took Buss as a plan B, but then Ennis left and screwed everything up).

I would gain a lot more admiration for JB if he realized he couldn't' necessarily do it the way he wants to and realizes man to man might be his best option for next year.
I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. I'm also starting to question how well the zone is going to play out in the ACC. Since 25-0, we have 't really set the world on fire in the zone.

I don't kn0w what it is. Our program has been one of the most consistent regular season programs but we suck in the post season. Is JB running the guys dead during the season by going only 7-8 deep? I agree we need to switch something up, possibly starting with the defense.

I would gain a lot more admiration for JB if he realized he couldn't' necessarily do it the way he wants to and realizes man to man might be his best option for next year.
I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. I'm also starting to question how well the zone is going to play out in the ACC. Since 25-0, we have 't really set the world on fire in the zone.
The zone was awesome in the Big East where teams had better athletes but worse ball movement/shooting than the ACC.

In the ACC even the bad teams move the ball and have a bunch of guys who can shoot.

If you're going to recruit for the zone, bring in guards like Malachi Richardson. Don't run the zone with friggin Kaleb Joseph up top.

Remember, as of now Hop is going to coach for 10 games next year. Let's see if he has a mind of his own or he will continue as usual.

Orange2389 said:
I don't kn0w what it is. Our program has been one of the most consistent regular season programs but we suck in the post season. Is JB running the guys dead during the season by going only 7-8 deep? I agree we need to switch something up, possibly starting with the defense.

There is data that has been presented in other threads that proves we don't suck in the post season. I think we were 9th. And you forget we went to the final 4 a couple years ago?

Last edited:
longislandcuse said:
If you're going to recruit for the zone, bring in guards like Malachi Richardson. Don't run the zone with friggin Kaleb Joseph up top.

Joseph might be the better defender.

I dunno, it could be that early in the season we play weak teams and at the end of the year we play strong teams... Just a thought..

There is data that has been presented in other threads that proves we suck in the post season. I think we were 9th. And you forget we went to the final 4 a couple years ago?

this is my point, the majority of fans on this board are ok with being mediocre. We have 4 final fours in 40 years.. that's pathetic for an elite program. sure we went to a final four a few years ago but what about the other seasons? when we recruit mediocre kids then we should accept mediocre results.

I dunno, it could be that early in the season we play weak teams and at the end of the year we play strong teams... Just a thought..

ahhhh so lets start playing the type of schedules like every other big time school... hmm what a thought!!!

He might be but I hate hearing we recruit for the zone and then the two guys up top are Cooney and Joseph.

MCW-Triche-Southerland anchored a team that was recruited for the zone.

There is data that has been presented in other threads that proves we suck in the post season. I think we were 9th. And you forget we went to the final 4 a couple years ago?

Final Four appearances since 1985:

12. Duke
9. North Carolina
8. Kentucky, Kansas
7. Mich St
5. Florida, UConn
4. Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan, Arizona, UCLA

My biggest problem is that the team we play in November is the same team we have in March. We never develop a bench. We have players who play great in one game and may not see the floor for the next three games. Who was the last player who didn't play much in November and was a factor for us later in the year? I can't remember anyone. JB's mind is already made up in October who's going to play. Many years we play our best in November/December and never really improve. I directly relate this to teams don't always shoot the ball well in the early part of the season and we don't add to our rotation as the season goes on.

Orange2389 said:
this is my point, the majority of fans on this board are ok with being mediocre. We have 4 final fours in 40 years.. that's pathetic for an elite program. sure we went to a final four a few years ago but what about the other seasons? when we recruit mediocre kids then we should accept mediocre results.

My post missed a word. Don't suck. JB's been the 9th most successful.

I don't get how people complain about how we recruit for the zone??? That's our system, that's what we do. To give you another comparison I live in Wisconsin, go back and watch the Badgers 3-5 years ago when they didn't have the ideal guys for their swing offense. It wasn't pretty at times. However, their offense looks great now, but people quickly forget once things struggle for a short period of time. When we went to the final four in 2013 that was solely because of the zone.

I think it's safe to say there will be major changes next year. This roster is looking quite a bit different than we anticipated back in January. The bigs we have now are the bigs we're going to have for the next two years. With ZERO shot blockers on next year's team, JB has to adjust and play some man to man. We have no shot blocking forwards anywhere on this roster and no shot blocking centers. This team will also struggle to rebound out of the zone. JB has to relent and play man to man next year. I have always been pro-zone, but I don't see how this team can win playing zone. We will have more lineup flexibility if we play man too.

With TB going to IU it might allow us three recruits for next year. I'm assuming we might get the three reduced to two. I think it's important to get three next year for roster balance. If we lose out on Battle, SU's perception around the country might change. If we sign Battle, everyone will know we're going to stay in the hunt for top talent. Battle no longer needs to wait to commit, since we know we have at least two scholarships open for next year. In a perfect world, maybe Giles wants to leave home like TB and decides to come north. I'm not sure what other bigs SU is persuing.

As long as JB remains head coach of Syracuse, I doubt we will see the team play man-to-man.

We need one or two extra 4-star guards who become upper classmen. The school we all love to hate has four national championships. They did it with experience guard play.

I was surprised when we offered Obokoh and BJ. Patterson I thought would be a good pick. But he did not work out either. In defense of the coaching staff it's very difficult to predict the future.

I was also surprised when we offered Lydon. But Lydon has a very good jump shot and is taller than BJ. We shall see.

Final Four appearances since 1985:

12. Duke
9. North Carolina
8. Kentucky, Kansas
7. Mich St
5. Florida, UConn
4. Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan, Arizona, UCLA

That's a good way to look at the top programs. I'd drop Michigan and put Ville/UCLA ahead of Cuse (on tradition). That makes SU 10th. Which feels right. Florida will drop off once Donovan leaves. They lucked out with him and backdoored another F4 appearance too.

I agree that defense and rebounding will be problematic next season. No matter who is out there, it's going to be an undersized lineup. If Roberson and G are the forwards, we'll be undersized no matter who else is out there. We got pounded at times this year with basically that lineup and could next year as well.

I don't know if MTM is the answer. Unless this team spends a great deal of time practicing it, playing it seems quite risky. Better D out of our guards would go a long way towards helping and undersized back line. Jospeh and Cooney simply cannot allow the penetration they allowed his year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom