Malachi... | Syracusefan.com

Malachi...

knicks07

Walk On
Appeared to be an inactive tonight in another Sacramento loss. I have read much rhetoric here on the board, and as an accountant type I am pretty good at financial analysis, that if a college player is going to go in the first round and that is their peak draft position, then it is generally better to enter the draft than not. Start the NBA financial clock earlier than later. If peter out, you probably maxed your earnings. If going to be in league for 5 or more years, good chance you added earnings years as opposed to college. So cant blame Malachi for striking when the iron was hot.

But damn...the kings organization is a mess! They have a whole roster that does not seem to mesh at all. Malachi needs a lot of seasoning, but if you are going to go 30-52 this season you might as well play young guys you are building with. Aaron Afflalo sucks. Im a Knicks fan and he wasn't very good last year for them and they chose not to re-sign him. But what do the Kings do? sign him for $$ to play in front on Mclemore and Malachi. Good move! PG for them is a suspended issue guy (Collison), a starter with even more issues that nobody wanted (Lawson) and the newly signed answer in Jordan Farmer.

I think Malachi can be a future good player. But I wish him luck at this point best, as so much depends on what organization you end up with that helps your future development and in turn the ability to make more $$, i.e. Danny Green (and many others) with the Spurs. I really wish he was ended up somewhere other than Sactown!

Maybe he is hurt, otherwise I don't get it, he was a first round pick, he should be getting pt.

If they expect Cousins to stay, they have to try to win and that means playing the players who give you the best chance to win now. Acting like an expansion team is not going to sit well with Cousins and he will likely leave anyway, but...

Malachi isn't "ready" for the NBA, although we all know he oozes with great NBA potential -- hence why he was drafted where he was. He did the right thing for himself in going to the draft since this next draft will be loaded, and no matter how good a year he would have had this year, there was no guaranty he'd go higher than he did. I suspect it will take him a bit to adjust and get time. As the year progresses and the Kings remain awful, he will probably get more run, assuming he's not down in the D league.

Malachi isn't "ready" for the NBA, although we all know he oozes with great NBA potential -- hence why he was drafted where he was. He did the right thing for himself in going to the draft since this next draft will be loaded, and no matter how good a year he would have had this year, there was no guaranty he'd go higher than he did. I suspect it will take him a bit to adjust and get time. As the year progresses and the Kings remain awful, he will probably get more run, assuming he's not down in the D league.
Every year I keep hearing next years draft is loaded. Until the lead up to the draft when it becomes "meh" and then next years draft is loaded.

It's a vicious cycle.

Cousins will be wearing green sometime in 2017.

Appeared to be an inactive tonight in another Sacramento loss. I have read much rhetoric here on the board, and as an accountant type I am pretty good at financial analysis, that if a college player is going to go in the first round and that is their peak draft position, then it is generally better to enter the draft than not. Start the NBA financial clock earlier than later. If peter out, you probably maxed your earnings. If going to be in league for 5 or more years, good chance you added earnings years as opposed to college. So cant blame Malachi for striking when the iron was hot.

But damn...the kings organization is a mess! They have a whole roster that does not seem to mesh at all. Malachi needs a lot of seasoning, but if you are going to go 30-52 this season you might as well play young guys you are building with. Aaron Afflalo sucks. Im a Knicks fan and he wasn't very good last year for them and they chose not to re-sign him. But what do the Kings do? sign him for $$ to play in front on Mclemore and Malachi. Good move! PG for them is a suspended issue guy (Collison), a starter with even more issues that nobody wanted (Lawson) and the newly signed answer in Jordan Farmer.

I think Malachi can be a future good player. But I wish him luck at this point best, as so much depends on what organization you end up with that helps your future development and in turn the ability to make more $$, i.e. Danny Green (and many others) with the Spurs. I really wish he was ended up somewhere other than Sactown!
I think the key term here is "peak draft position." My guess is that he would have gone higher in this draft, but I'm not sure how much. It doesn't look like Grayson Allen has improved his stock significantly.

Sorry, but I don't know that he oozes NBA potential. Just like I didn't see it in McCullough or Ennis. I hope they all succeed but there is NO way we saw enough of any of them to know if they can succeed in the league.
Having said that, they all made the right decision because the NBA has been drafting unproven kids for a number of years now and will continue to do so.

Every year I keep hearing next years draft is loaded. Until the lead up to the draft when it becomes "meh" and then next years draft is loaded.

It's a vicious cycle.

Yeah this is one of my favorite things. It's like clockwork.

Yeah this is one of my favorite things. It's like clockwork.

This is true, no doubt. But you can't evaluate the draft based on the first 5 games these kids have played. If guys can step into the league one year out of college (basically just out of high school) and be "ready" and have a significant impact it doesn't say much about the quality of your product or the experienced players in the league.

he'll be headed to Reno soon. When Darren Collison comes off suspension next week, the Kings will have to drop someone from their roster & Richardson is the most likely one.

It's a vicious cycle.

Agreed. Same thing every year.

And speaking of loaded drafts, with Ray Allen making his retirement official, that's the last of the class of '96 - the greatest draft ever.

Agreed. Same thing every year.

And speaking of loaded drafts, with Ray Allen making his retirement official, that's the last of the class of '96 - the greatest draft ever.

84, 96, 03, I think those are the big ones?

84, 96, 03, I think those are the big ones?

Yeah, those are the ones that stand out. 84 might be slightly stronger at the top, but both will have 4 hall of famers. Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley, Stockton vs. Kobe, Iverson, Nash, Allen.

But '96 gets the depth edge so many other all stars: Marbury, Walker, Abdur-Rahim, Jermaine O'Neal, Peja, Big Z, Camby. Plus Ben Wallace who went undrafted.

Yeah, those are the ones that stand out. 84 might be slightly stronger at the top, but both will have 4 hall of famers. Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley, Stockton vs. Kobe, Iverson, Nash, Allen.

But '96 gets the depth edge so many other all stars: Marbury, Walker, Abdur-Rahim, Jermaine O'Neal, Peja, Big Z, Camby. Plus Ben Wallace who went undrafted.

96 almost certainly has the depth, but 84 has to be stronger at the top. 2 of the 12 greatest players ever? And Barkley and Stockton are are probably top 25? Man that's just absurd.

Edit: Stockton in the top 25 is probably too much.

96 almost certainly has the depth, but 84 has to be stronger at the top. 2 of the 12 greatest players ever? And Barkley and Stockton are are probably top 25? Man that's just absurd.

Edit: Stockton in the top 25 is probably too much.
Nah, he's right there.

2003 had some really good depth too: Chris Kanan, Kirk Heinrich, Kyle Korver, Josh Howard, David West, Boris Diaw, Leandra Baroda, Kendrick Perkins, Steve Blake, Zaza Pachulia, Mo Williams etc. In their prime they were all all-star caliber or at least above average players.

Also, it's crazy, but a player drafter in 2003 is already a head coach. That's right, Luke Walton was the 32nd pick in the same draft as LeBron and Carmelo and Wade.

I think the key term here is "peak draft position." My guess is that he would have gone higher in this draft, but I'm not sure how much. It doesn't look like Grayson Allen has improved his stock significantly.

I don't think Grayson Allen has the same financial pressures that some of these other guys do.

Wait Jordan Farmar is still in the league? The lakers dude? For real?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom