Mali...back or not poll | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mali...back or not poll

Despite what people are hearing (and Mali is allegedly saying) if he does not come out of the Combine and individual workouts with absolute assurance that he will be a first round pick, I will be very surprised if he enters the draft.

It seems a lot of people are eager to be proven right on this matter, but everyone, including Mali, would do well to let the process play out.
Is he allowed to communicate with NBA teams before the Combine, having not signed with an agent? Just wondering if a team could have already told him they like him and will draft him. Doubt that would happen before the combine, just curious/being hypothetical.

Is he allowed to communicate with NBA teams before the Combine, having not signed with an agent? Just wondering if a team could have already told him they like him and will draft him. Doubt that would happen before the combine, just curious/being hypothetical.
I doubt any team would make that sort of commitment before the Combine and without working him out, as it's not like we're talking about a can't miss, generational talent in Mali.

Last edited:
Yes I believe he can have individual workouts with teams before the combine begins

If he isn't coming back then why hasn't he signed with an agent? Obviously he isn't so sure...

If he isn't coming back then why hasn't he signed with an agent? Obviously he isn't so sure...

Maybe he's waiting for an agent to SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!!

tumblr_liekyev5PN1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

I think you overestimate the intelligence of the perennially bad NBA teams (like the team who drafted Flynn, for instance).

Be that as it may, professionals that make their living doing this stuff have access to more data than one game or a handful of games. In the case of Flynn he blew up after good workouts. Not because of the 6ot game.

Fans in general look at that, or Ennis shot, or Mali going Super Saiyan for 6 minutes and put waaaay more emphasis on that stuff than scouts\gms.

Be that as it may, professionals that make their living doing this stuff have access to more data than one game or a handful of games. In the case of Flynn he blew up after good workouts. Not because of the 6ot game.

Fans in general look at that, or Ennis shot, or Mali going Super Saiyan for 6 minutes and put waaaay more emphasis on that stuff than scouts\gms.
They may not put as much emphasis on these things per se, but in my opinion it gets players on the map and makes teams look deeper into them. I firmly believe that if Ennis shot vs Pitt goes in and out, instead of falling in, he is back on the Orange the following season.

They may not put as much emphasis on these things per se, but in my opinion it gets players on the map and makes teams look deeper into them. I firmly believe that if Ennis shot vs Pitt goes in and out, instead of falling in, he is back on the Orange the following season.
Before that shot went in, Ennis was already on the map as a solid, game-managing point guard for a high profile, undefeated team. That shot meant nothing in terms of what later played out.

Yeah he was on scouts' radar. But it had nothing to do with that shot.

Yeah he was on scouts' radar. But it had nothing to do with that shot.
I know he was on the radar. All I am saying is that I think that shot made him THAT much more popular. Obviously the scouts don't look at one play or one/two good games. I could be wrong, just my two cents.

I've always held the opinion that Ennis got on the map for his solid numbers (particularly his A:T ratio) on a Syracuse team that got A LOT of media exposure for being a Top 5 team, not because he drained a buzzer beater. By the time he nailed that shot and ran over to bark at the Pitt students, he was already getting plenty of attention as the team had already gone 23-0. Being a good player on a good team will get you noticed.

If it is like it has been with EVERY other possible NBA prospect from our team, then... HE GONE!

I can't remember the last time we thought someone might be going to the NBA that actually ended up staying...

John Wallace?

When the smoke alarms go off and there's smoke billowing out the windows you can stay behind to confirm that it's an actual Fire. Meanwhile I'll be jumping to conclusions and jumping to safety.

language NSFW

Thanks for the info. That sucks. It must mean that his attitude is he wants to go pretty much no matter what his draft position is? I don't really get that "strategy," and if that's where his head is at--SMH.

I have no problem if he does well, gets graded well and gets indications of interest from a few teams. Then going would make perfect sense. But to be pretty much gone in his head before he's evaluated-- that's just stupid and could lead to a very bad result for him.

If he really has that mindset he might as well go all in and hire and agent. Burn the boats.

We go from a National Championship contender with him to a Top 25 team without him (unless all 3 guards seriously bring it).

But hey, at least Grayson Allen can come back for Duke, right?..
It's why college basketball is a bit of a joke and one could argue the measured success of a program is roughly 90% luck. One can look at uconn's titles this decade as proof of that.

Oh well - that's just the way it is I guess.

:noidea:Maybe hes just setting up everyone for a dramatic return .....na lol,I am resigned to the fact hes gone now. What couldve been oh well

We go from a National Championship contender with him to a Top 25 team without him (unless all 3 guards seriously bring it).

Yep. Cuse has had a hard time here lately. Duke re-stacks better, so the fact that Allen is returning is even more frustrating. Cause they don't even "need" him to be top 10 next year. Be interesting for someone who is better/smarter than me, to run a analytical synopsis of how our last several years would have looked, if the fringe guys would have returned.

Yep. Cuse has had a hard time here lately. Duke re-stacks better, so the fact that Allen is returning is even more frustrating. Cause they don't even "need" him to be top 10 next year. Be interesting for someone who is better/smarter than me, to run a analytical synopsis of how our last several years would have looked, if the fringe guys would have returned.

Hopefully we can add another scorer.

I'm not necessarily doubting people and their connections on here, but we should certainly have heard Mali-agent rumblings by now as well as about Mali working out for teams - maybe not from the syracuse.com folks (who get much of their stuff from here, it seems) but from the national plugged-in guys... I don't know, seems a little weird - I think Mali has a very high opinion of his abilities and his place in the draft right now, but things won't become clear as to where he truly stacks up until later this week...
IMHO

From another thread, too funny, I wish I thought it, "It's not Mali's decision. It's the NBA's. "

Is the NBA ever going to get around to a 2-year college/age requirement as a compromise with the players' union? Are those talks just water cooler fodder or can we expect something to happen in the next couple years? The turnover in college hoops is getting really hard to stomach.

We can't keep anyone.

It really is getting annoying. The tough part about Mali is it's like he had his mind made up from the jump. I wouldn't care one bit if he was guaranteed a first round pick and went pro but it's like dude dropped the mic after flashing the 3 point goggles in our tourney run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom