Malik Brown Leaving Vols | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Malik Brown Leaving Vols

This isn't directed at you, as I've seen it come up a few times in this thread. Why do folks here always bring up being "recruited over" when players decide to choose a bigger name football school than Syracuse? It is every coaching staff's JOB to bring in better players each and every year.

If we brought in a couple of stud QB this year, would this board be upset that Edouard, Long, etc were recruited over or thrilled that we reigned in a talented prospect? Malik went to Tennessee because it was Tennessee. It didn't work out well for him. However, if the staff decides they'd like to take a run at him and have him in Syracuse Orange, I'd be all for it. It's their decision, not ours.

There is a big difference from being recruited over, and recruited out of a scholarship. I am sure Butch Jones made sound all nice and stuff, but there's a good chance that's what happened.

Agreed. In defense of Malik we did just lose Marrone at that point too. Like you said, if the staff thinks they can utilize his talent for three years than great and if Malik feels he made a mistake wants to come to Syracuse than great. I don't get all the mudslinging at the kid. Mistakes are made.

People make mistakes all the time. It's not about making a mistake, it's how you make it.

People make mistakes all the time. It's not about making a mistake, it's how you make it.

If you think for an instant that this kid hatched all this himself and didn't receive some bad guidance or advice then you are naive ... sorry he was an 18 year old that made a bad decision based on bad advice from people who have no business making those decisions.

You can tell by that interview he struggled with the whole thing and I guarandamntee you if you asked him in person what he was grading on his scale and how he arrived at those grades he could not recite them to you. And like I said earlier the Marrone snafu didn't exactly have us coming off as perfect either ... the kid was flat out lied to.

There is a big difference from being recruited over, and recruited out of a scholarship. I am sure Butch Jones made sound all nice and stuff, but there's a good chance that's what happened.

In their last class Tenn brought in 7 defensive linemen ... only one had an offer sheet comparable to Brown's ... everyone else had quite an extensive offer list ... he was recruited over ...

Is there? Do we know this as a material fact? 99.99% of coaches honor scholarships for all 4 years, unless it is an entirely new staff coming aboard, etc. I may be off but didn't Brown commit to Jones? Would Jones really want to upset his relationship with Dwyer HS, one of the best high school programs in the US? Probably not.

Sorry to interrupt but a bit of Brown news. According to TOS, Brown reached out to HCSS but has not heard back from the hard nosed one. Here is guessing he won't.

In their last class Tenn brought in 7 defensive linemen ... only one had an offer sheet comparable to Brown's ... everyone else had quite an extensive offer list ... he was recruited over ...

I also read here were 9 defensive ends on the roster and only 3 true frosh. Add 7 more and that's a heck of a depth chart. Writing might have been on the wall, however does he not want to put in the work and compete ? Who knows.

Regarding TOS saying he reached out, do we even have a ship? If we do bring him in we have zero to lose.

I also read here were 9 defensive ends on the roster and only 3 true frosh. Add 7 more and that's a heck of a depth chart. Writing might have been on the wall, however does he not want to put in the work and compete ? Who knows.

Regarding TOS saying he reached out, do we even have a ship? If we do bring him in we have zero to lose.

Lets face it ... he got bigboyed ..

When is the last time a football transfer has worked out for us? Has worked out anywhere?

When is the last time a football transfer has worked out for us? Has worked out anywhere?

John Raymon was working out nicely until he got injured. Juries still out on Quinta. We've never really taken transfers.

John Raymon was working out nicely until he got injured. Juries still out on Quinta. We've never really taken transfers.

True but they do work out ... Dyer average 5 ypc at LVille with limited reps ... there are plenty that come up gold ... on the basketball side Wes Johnson served us well ... we had Drew Allen who didn't pan out like we hoped ... I think Paulus really had no shot at true success but IMHO preserved Nassib and probably kept him alive so having him at SU for a year was good. Taj Smith was a good one for us.

Plus technically aren't JUCOs transfers anyway? We have taken quite a few of those too.

Sorry to interrupt but a bit of Brown news. According to TOS, Brown reached out to HCSS but has not heard back from the hard nosed one. Here is guessing he won't.
Quiet period extend to transfers?

Quiet period extend to transfers?
Good question but in this case it sounded like Brown reached out to HCSS last week after getting his release so it would have been before the quiet period.

Good question but in this case it sounded like Brown reached out to HCSS last week after getting his release so it would have been before the quiet period.

Well he may have been on a #hardnosed vacation ...

Is there? Do we know this as a material fact? 99.99% of coaches honor scholarships for all 4 years, unless it is an entirely new staff coming aboard, etc. I may be off but didn't Brown commit to Jones? Would Jones really want to upset his relationship with Dwyer HS, one of the best high school programs in the US? Probably not.

Tenn brought in 37 kids last class so obviously some of them got recruited out of a scholarship. Some were early enrollee's, but with Brown being one of the transfers I am guessing the writing was on the wall for that one.

And yes it's a big difference. Why wouldn't it be?

Umm Joe Falco from Pitt to Deleware to the Raven's to the playoffs in his first year & MVP of Super Bowl XLVII.

Rob Bironas PK from Auburn to Georgia Southern to the Tennessee Titans where he was All Pro in 2007.

Last edited:
ok so I think we have a list of 5 guys who have succeeded, vs the hundreds? who transfer every year? Is that about right? Listen I am not saying we should close the door on this kid just becuase he spurned us at the last minute, I am simply saying that many of us hget all giddy when a great recruit or great transfer comes in thinking they will start right away, and be all world. All I am saying is that it generally, never happens.

I said the same exact thing about 10.5 hours ago up above ... there are quite a few that work out ... granted more so fail than work but taking a flyer on 1 guy in a position of need is not a bad thing.
I am not saying folks in this position never work out, I would just be skeptical of any such offer. Given the very few examples provided I don't think it is a stretch to assume that those transfers don't work out as often as not.

I've been busy, so yet to comment, but I say to those negative on Brown coming to SU this... When you were 17-18, was everyone of your decisions a good one? I'm really glad that there wasn't social media and people following me to judge me at that age. Assuming Malik is sincere about wanting to play at SU, willing to work hard and Coach Shafer accepts that than who here can disagree?

Last edited:
I am not saying folks in this position never work out, I would just be skeptical of any such offer. Given the very few examples provided I don't think it is a stretch to assume that those transfers don't work out as often as not.

If we had Alabama level talent I wouldn't disagree ... however we don't have nearly the room to be choosey, that is a simple fact. He can give us depth at a position that we truly need it ... have you actually looked at our depth at DE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom