Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

If we’re playing man, we will need more bodies because freshmen will foul a lot. Jessie is foul prone and we don’t know how Joe will do.

I hear you on this. I don't think Maliq is going to be a big scorer. Not this year anyway.

But...what if Bunch and Taylor are not able to shoot from the outside as frosh? What if they struggle to score period their first year of college basketball?

From what I hear, Maliq is our best defensive forward already. By quite a large margin.

I am confident he is our best rebounder at forward. By a large margin.

He is our best shot blocker at forward. By a large margin.

And I think he is our best passing forward. By a large margin.

He does a lot of things that help a team win. That tends to result in more playing time.

Note that I am not saying Maliq is starting. I don't know and won't have an opinion until I see the team actually play in that tip off thing and the two exhibitions.

But if he does, I think it will be because of the things noted above.

If all of that is true, then it sounds like he should start over Benny?

You beat me to it as I didn't see your post before replying but I am really starting to wonder of Brown is more getting time at Benny's expense than the other two frosh. I still love Benny's potential but if he comes out and struggles to catch, finish and defend, we need to win this year. Whatever it takes. Hopefully he quietly grabs the bull by the horns and doesn't fade back onto the bench.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But one thing that could really undermine this team's potential is the glaring lack of experience / proven production from the forwards. Hope a few rise to the occasion, but that is no sure thing.

If all of that is true, then it sounds like he should start over Benny?
It’s funny that last year everyone thought Benny should play more. Now, people already are saying freshmen should play ahead of him.

It’s funny that last year everyone thought Benny should play more. Now, people already are saying freshmen should play ahead of him.
I don’t think Maliq should play ahead of Benny, just based on the team’s make up it’s hard for Benny and Maliq to be productive playing together. It Maliq were to get more PT, seems like he would get it at the expensive of Benny or at small ball 5 (like Dole).

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But one thing that could really undermine this team's potential is the glaring lack of experience / proven production from the forwards. Hope a few rise to the occasion, but that is no sure thing.

Right which would make mtm, albeit a rarity, a sensible move. Also something that could help our offense and playing faster given so much youth. Not to mention we won't be able to be a full time zone team anymore after JB if we want to be successful. Be a breath of fresh air if the transition happened before he left for sure.

I hear you on this. I don't think Maliq is going to be a big scorer. Not this year anyway.

But...what if Bunch and Taylor are not able to shoot from the outside as frosh? What if they struggle to score period their first year of college basketball?

From what I hear, Maliq is our best defensive forward already. By quite a large margin.

I am confident he is our best rebounder at forward. By a large margin.

He is our best shot blocker at forward. By a large margin.

And I think he is our best passing forward. By a large margin.

He does a lot of things that help a team win. That tends to result in more playing time.

Note that I am not saying Maliq is starting. I don't know and won't have an opinion until I see the team actually play in that tip off thing and the two exhibitions.

But if he does, I think it will be because of the things noted above.
Not to mention, JB loves guys like this.

Last edited:

That's not what I'm saying, at least.

But our season having a different outcome from last year -- i.e., finishing above .500 -- is for the forwards to step up and play well as a group. That outcome would be best served by Benny making the proverbial sophomore leap, and showing an expanded game. Doesn't mean that he would morph into an NBA caliber 3, but he needs to show more versatility, an improved ability to shoot from outside [even inconsistently], better wherewithal on the boards, etc.

Based upon his performance on the summer tour, it doesn't appear that he's made the leap.

Not what I was saying at all either. We don't know yet what we have in Benny in year 2 outside the summer tour and comments here and there.It's all hypothetical given the Intel on Brown.

I’m only saying IF it’s true that Brown is the better rebounder, shot blocker, defender, and passer……he’ll likely beat him out if he’s actually better at all those things.

Unless Benny’s shooting and ball handling have greatly improved.

From what I’ve seen in videos, Benny is a far superior and more fluid athlete than Brown. Brown kind of moves awkwardly. Not saying he can’t be a great player for us. But lets let Benny play a little but before anointing Maliq Brown our best at everything. Benny was a 5 star who clearly has ability… even if he isn’t a great shooter.

Benny's issues/shortcomings are aaaaaallllll between his ears

Yeah they are. We can't wait forever but need to see what the returns are which I'm sure the coaches are getting a view of right now.

Defense and rebounding is the key here I think. Additionally, if Benny is just flat out struggling offensively need those things from him and thus whoever is better at those things matters.

Joe, Jesse and Judah score and hope the rest can do enough while defending and rebounding.
Even if those three averaged 20 each, which is a huge stretch, are we going to get another combined 20?

Even if we play MTM, I don't see us being a lock down defensive team.

Hope I am wrong on all fronts.

From what I’ve seen in videos, Benny is a far superior and more fluid athlete than Brown. Brown kind of moves awkwardly. Not saying he can’t be a great player for us. But lets let Benny play a little but before anointing Maliq Brown our best at everything. Benny was a 5 star who clearly has ability… even if he isn’t a great shooter.

Possible, because Benny appears to have elite athleticism.

But I think your assessment sells Brown WAAAAAYYYYY short in terms of his athleticism. Not comparing the players, but that's like noting Hakim was more athletic than Carmelo. While true, Carmelo was still athletic as hell, it isn't a knock.

Even if those three averaged 20 each, which is a huge stretch, are we going to get another combined 20?

Man to man would allow us to get another guard on the floor who is a good veteran player, and get an unproven forward off the floor.

I’d love a 3 guard lineup with whatever forward is going to defend, get garbage buckets, and do the dirty work the best, and Jesse.

We need a change of fortune with a lot to go right with this freshmen class in any form no matter how you think about it. That is the common denominator with all this.

Man to man would allow us to get another guard on the floor who is a good veteran player, and get an unproven forward off the floor.

I’d love a 3 guard lineup with whatever forward is going to defend, get garbage buckets, and do the dirty work the best, and Jesse.
Yeah. I wish we played man. I think there's a decent shot Symir is no worse than our 4th best player.

Yeah. I wish we played man. I think there's a decent shot Symir is no worse than our 4th best player.

Not to mention we won't be playing a bigger team for the most part until the heart of ACC play. Colgate does have some size as do the Hoyas but otherwise nobody is throwing a bigger team at us until the heart of ACC play. Symir is athletic and strong and plays bigger than he is.

If Brown is a starter, we would have two starters that can't shoot. I don't see it.
I agree. I see Taylor and Bunch playing small forward and Benny and Maliq at power forward this season. I know I’m repeating this for the 10,000th time, but it is the height of insanity that JB didn’t bring in a high-level transfer forward, preferably at the small forward spot—despite Autry and Griffin urging him to do so. It really speaks JB’s poor roster building acumen in recent years.

Last edited:
If Brown can rebound, play defense and make shots within 4 feet why wouldn't he start at power forward?

Doesn't seem like much of a difference physique wise to Damone Brown or Hakim Warrick.

I agree. I see Taylor and Bunch playing small forward and Benny and Maliq at power forward this season. I know I’m repeating this for the 10,000 time, but it is the height of insanity that JB didn’t bring in a high-level transfer forward, preferably at the small forward spot—despite Autry and Griffin urging him to do so. It really speaks JB’s poor roster building acumen in recent years.

Especially when you play 100% zone and thus need two forwards on the court always.

Forward position has probably been the biggest key to the team in the all zone era.

I agree. I see Taylor and Bunch playing small forward and Benny and Maliq at power forward this season. I know I’m repeating this for the 10,000 time, but it is the height of insanity that JB didn’t bring in a high-level transfer forward, preferably at the small forward spot—despite Autry and Griffin urging him to do so. It really speaks JB’s poor roster building acumen in recent years.

Maybe he likes Bunch and Taylor a lot and didn’t want to lose one or both by bringing in a rental. They both committed long long before we even knew who would be staying or going from last years roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom