Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if you guys think that Lampkin, Davis, Carlos, and Taylor (and JJ, Chance ) are not "leaders" and don't have winning mentalities. Because, you know, they also "headed out the door," bailed on their programs, and took "the easy way and money."

These guys (and coaches) all took advantage of the system that is the new reality. Good, bad, or indifferent.
“I chose Duke because I wanted to be around a winning culture and a bunch of guys who wanted to get better all the time.”
Never said a word about Maliq until
I read that quote. To me that made all the difference.
Don’t think I saw anything from our incoming transfers that threw shade at the programs they left.

I'll take that bet.

Scheyer will prioritize the youngsters as I see it. Maybe he is smarter than that but we will see. Much more about Scheyer and Duke than Maliq in what I was saying.

How can you make a definitive statement like that when Maliq was an All ACC defender and we havent seen donnie play a game. Straughn has been quoted saying Maliq is the most important player for what were trying to do. Even Griff said they were ready for him to be the face of the program
And yet Maliq saw fit to turn his back on those same coaches that invested in him and were trying to build around him? I don’t buy it. Something doesn’t sound right. If he truly was going to be the backbone of this team, he had no reason to sweat his role. I think he saw Eddie get a bag, knew he’d possibly have fewer minutes on the floor, had no ties left other than the coaches, and, the big finish, Scheyer called with a 500k offer. It wasn’t about Duke or SU. It was about the Benjamins. Duke bought him. Period. Do they need him? Not really. Do they know it hurts our depth? Yep. We’ll see if he made the right decision.

Do they need him? Not really. Do they know it hurts our depth? Yep. We’ll see if he made the right decision.

If you think Duke reached out to Brown because they thought it would hurt the depth of a team who hasn’t been to the tourney in 3 years and hasn’t finished in the top 5 of the acc is forever, you are nuts. Some of us sound like Rutgers football fans here.

Brown is great defender and solid all around player with ACC level experience. Thats why Duke wanted him.

Last edited:
How can you make a definitive statement like that when Maliq was an All ACC defender and we havent seen donnie play a game. Straughn has been quoted saying Maliq is the most important player for what were trying to do. Even Griff said they were ready for him to be the face of the program
I’m disappointed that they couldn’t stop him from leaving despite thinking that. Seems being the face of the program is not something he will have at Duke

Lebron ?
Kd?
We ignoring what Lebron did in Cleveland?

KD also gave it quite a bit, to his all in OKC.

Also in what world is Maliq comparable? He left a rebuilding Cuse program when the situation got less favorable for him, in his eyes. The guys above stepped into the league and did their best to lead championship contenders.

“I chose Duke because I wanted to be around a winning culture and a bunch of guys who wanted to get better all the time.”
Ouch...that hurts.
But we move on from that team and players who may have radiated some negativity.

People put down Scheyer.
But he's no dope.
He has a young team.
He brought in Maliq and Mason Gillis (from Purdue) to add some veteran experience from two quality players who also seem coachable.
They'll both mean a lot to building the team outside of the actual games.
And they'll get playing time as well.

If you think Duke reached out to Brown because they thought it would hurt the depth of a team who hasn’t been to the tourney in 3 years and hasn’t finished in the top 5 of the acc is forever, you are nuts. Some of us sound like Rutgers football fans here.

Brown is great defender and solid all around player with ACC level experience. Thats why Duke wanted him.

And also, because he posted 26 points and 7 rebounds on them when he faced them, on 69% shooting and 50% from three point range.

They're not bringing him in to be a bit player. And he didn't go there to be a bit player.

And yet Maliq saw fit to turn his back on those same coaches that invested in him and were trying to build around him? I don’t buy it. Something doesn’t sound right. If he truly was going to be the backbone of this team, he had no reason to sweat his role. I think he saw Eddie get a bag, knew he’d possibly have fewer minutes on the floor, had no ties left other than the coaches, and, the big finish, Scheyer called with a 500k offer. It wasn’t about Duke or SU. It was about the Benjamins. Duke bought him. Period. Do they need him? Not really. Do they know it hurts our depth? Yep. We’ll see if he made the right decision.
Hes a role player who won the hearts of our fans because he played the game old school and gave his all. I wish him great success.

And also, because he posted 26 points and 7 rebounds on them when he faced them, on 69% shooting and 50% from three point range.

They're not bringing him in to be a bit player. And he didn't go there to be a bit player.
he will end up being a good defender for them, but his O skills are extremely limited

The thing with Lampkin is that if we did not bring a guy in at center it would have really pushed Maliq towards the door. There is no way he would have stayed if he felt like he would need to play out of position at the 5 a heck of a lot next year. Rolling with just McLeod coming off of injury would have sent him packing for certain since he would be one medical issue away from being our one potential center. Maaaybe the amount of cash Lampkin was getting got him thinking, but he did not bail because of the fewer minutes he would get on the floor at center. He wanted fewer minutes at center anyways. Bringing in a center is not why he left.

The thing with Lampkin is that if we did not bring a guy in at center it would have really pushed Maliq towards the door. There is no way he would have stayed if he felt like he would need to play out of position at the 5 a heck of a lot next year. Rolling with just McLeod coming off of injury would have sent him packing for certain since he would be one medical issue away from being our one potential center. Maaaybe the amount of cash Lampkin was getting got him thinking, but he did not bail because of the fewer minutes he would get on the floor at center. He wanted fewer minutes at center anyways. Bringing in a center is not why he left.
The Kid left for money and probably because his buds were gone. Unless he finds a handle and an outside game he will play the same role for Duke as he played here

Had Donnie been a different year and the top 20 recruit been a PG he probably stays and Lampkin comes too. I think the question is could we have afforded Maliq and Eddie both alongside everyone else this year? I’m guessing to beat Dukes bid we would have to have been offering a good bit more for him to be willing to play some 5 again.

It was just a numbers game all around and it really sucks. That’s no knock on Donnie either.

Had Donnie been a different year and the top 20 recruit been a PG he probably stays and Lampkin comes too. I think the question is could we have afforded Maliq and Eddie both alongside everyone else this year? I’m guessing to beat Dukes bid we would have to have been offering a good bit more for him to be willing to play some 5 again.

It was just a numbers game all around and it really sucks. That’s no knock on Donnie either.
To listen to some people around here you'd think we were losing a DC, Wallace, or Billy type player. Nice player but no more then a role player which he did well.
He will probably do the same thing at Duke, be a role player and do the little things for their team.

The Kid left for money and probably because his buds were gone. Unless he finds a handle and an outside game he will play the same role for Duke as he played here
I think that's more likely than not, but let's not dismiss the pull that some programs have with their name. Being a player on a Duke, Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky also means something - to some young dudes, it means a lot. I'm sure it's validating to many kids that they sort of "made it" if they're part of a team/program like that.

I also think many here are just taking his comments as gospel, like that's why he really left. I don't. I think it was largely money and being part of a blueblood team.

As for Brown's skills, I tend to agree that Brown is limited, but at the same time, incredibly talented. If he's on the "right" team, he could be a difference maker. If he's the focal point (like what he was with us last year), that's not going to get you very far. Brown would/is probably a coach's dream, coming off the bench.

To listen to some people around here you'd think we were losing a DC, Wallace, or Billy type player. Nice player but no more then a role player which he did well.
He will probably do the same thing at Duke, be a role player and do the little things for their team.
He's not at the level of those three, for sure. But he's an excellent all-around college player with the potential to expand his game. That's not a role player to me. Duke wouldn't have gone after him if that was all he is.

He's not at the level of those three, for sure. But he's an excellent all-around college player with the potential to expand his game. That's not a role player to me. Duke wouldn't have gone after him if that was all he is.
Spot on.

The team last year was a mess. We all know that. Boeheim’s lack of recruiting effort limited the staff in their ability to pull in prospects that were good syracuse prospects vs guys that may give us a shot to compete.

We all saw what happened on the court, and have heard some of what happened off.

Mintz, Benny and Copeland are gone. Red’s now reshaping the team to how he knows Syracuse should be. Hard workers and grinders. Guys that hate losing more than they love seeing their fancy layup or pass highlights after 15 point losses.

We wanted Maliq to stay. We’d be better if he had. No one can blame him for why he left. My issue is what he’s said after the fact.
So what? Especially if it’s true. You know who else wanted a winning culture with guys who wanted to work hard. Red. That’s why he ran off certain guys.
Now when Red turns it around, he can say so.

You know who else isn't the level of those three? Literally anyone on our team. No one. I don't want to hear Donnie, JJ, whoever. No one on our team is the level of those three. To your point, Maliq is going to a team vying for a title because he is an excellent player.

He is reliable, versatile and efficient. There is a reason he went to Duke and we're gassing up transfers from the CAA.

You know who else isn't the level of those three? Literally anyone on our team. No one. I don't want to hear Donnie, JJ, whoever. No one on our team is the level of those three. To your point, Maliq is going to a team vying for a title because he is an excellent player.

He is reliable, versatile and efficient. There is a reason he went to Duke and we're gassing up transfers from the CAA.

I love Maliq and his game and hate he left. That said we were just stuck given our situation from all angles unless we paid him money that would leave us without a decent option at the 5 outside of him. It would have been considered a bigger waste of Donnie’s one year than some are concerned this year is. It was a no win scenario. I think we just have to realize that when you look at everything. Everyone is so hung up on it being a trade of Maliq for Eddie or Donnie etc. It simply was a combination of things especially including $$. Pay Maliq and lose Bell and we then have an issue of lacking proven shooting. It was going to be another transition year no matter what anyone says and Red did what he could and then is really hitting it hard for 25 and beyond.

Our goals are still the tourney and it’s not out of reach until it is at this point. That said the big dogs start showing up going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom