Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll believe it when I see it.

Show me Lampkin handling the short roll after screening.

If they are talking about average assists per game (2.2 to 1.8 for Maliq), well, Lampkin played with three NBA draft picks last year. Maliq had to pass to the likes of, well, our players last year.

The other thing I'd also consider is TOs when talking about assists. Lampkin averaged 2.6 to Maliq's 1.3.

Finally, Lampkin had more opportunities in terms of usage %... so he averaged 22% more assists but 100% more TOs.

Not sure the passing claim about Lampkin is really one to brag about.

Show me Lampkin handling the short roll after screening.

If they are talking about average assists per game (2.2 to 1.8 for Maliq), well, Lampkin played with three NBA draft picks last year. Maliq had to pass to the likes of, well, our players last year.

The other thing I'd also consider is TOs when talking about assists. Lampkin averaged 2.6 to Maliq's 1.3.

Finally, Lampkin had more opportunities in terms of usage %... so he averaged 22% more assists but 100% more TOs.

Not sure the passing claim about Lampkin is really one to brag about.
Just watch the footage. His vision is excellent. More turnovers could stem from him frequently taking his man 1v1 in the post, which Maliq was rarely asked to do for us.

I like Maliq but I think he almost ended up in the perfect role for him to pad his stats and raise his stock by accident last year losing Jesse and Naheem and the other PF Benny getting booted.

Probably a better fit for his role at Duke than what he'd have here expected to be a 10 and 10 guy. He still has to hold off some highly touted freshmen for PT. And Duke has hit on those guys recently Flip, Lively. Maluach just played at the Olympics.

You know who else isn't the level of those three? Literally anyone on our team. No one. I don't want to hear Donnie, JJ, whoever. No one on our team is the level of those three. To your point, Maliq is going to a team vying for a title because he is an excellent player.

He is reliable, versatile and efficient. There is a reason he went to Duke and we're gassing up transfers from the CAA.

The Maliq box score tracker this season will be fun. Days he barely plays due to a glut of high ceiling talent and the Purdue guy and days he double-doubles.

Our first five problems next year will be on the defensive end. Lamkin's lack of ability as a rim protector will be a part of that, but he will provide a much needed boost to the center spot on offense. That is why Red brought him in. Red knows more than all these naysayers/Duke fans in this thread.

Our first five problems next year will be on the defensive end. Lamkin's lack of ability as a rim protector will be a part of that, but he will provide a much needed boost to the center spot on offense. That is why Red brought him in. Red knows more than all these naysayers/Duke fans in this thread.
Settle down, francis.

And it's not like Maliq's defensive strengths revolved around rim protection anyway. Quick hands and high IQ, but he certainly was not providing weak side rim protection help, nor was he providing much defensive resistance against bigger, skilled post guys.

You mean watch highlight clips? Nah, I'm good.

If he has that many TOs taking his guy in the post, he shouldn't take his guy in the post.
2.6 is not even that many turnovers. Watch a full game. He is a serious impact on the offensive end and fills a much needed gap in the roster. Ideally his negatives on defense would be cancelled out by Maliq still being on the team getting minutes both at the 4 and occasionally backing him up at the 5, but that did not go according to plan.

Obviously MB is a good player who provided a skill set that any team would welcome. That said I think our love for him here was enhanced because we aren't good and had little to hang on, and because we have had very few guys bring the intangibles to the table that MB does.

He also had shortcomings that can't be ignored. I think he left for the $ and the opportunity to play for a program that is tiers above ours. I hope he gets a lot of burn, but I think there is a better chance he gets lost than he flourishes.

Red obviously wanted more size and Freeman was going to play. Maliq is a great role player and Red is betting the folks he brought in are better. We shall see. As for his comments - can't really hold it against him, mainly because I think it's true.

This isn't about Maliq - this is about our program, which needs to be better. Now.

Red obviously wanted more size and Freeman was going to play. Maliq is a great role player and Red is betting the folks he brought in are better. We shall see. As for his comments - can't really hold it against him, mainly because I think it's true.

This isn't about Maliq - this is about our program, which needs to be better. Now.

Yep. That’s all that really needs to be said. Not sure why we need spin it. I’ve always been confused with the Lampkin vs Maliq angle. It’s all about Freeman and if he’s better than Maliq was overall not just offense, then it was the correct move because Maliq wasn’t going to play center again…so is what it is.

Last edited:
You are not a bad person, these guys are now highly paid, professional mercenaries. No more free tickets with "they're only just college kids, be nice to them..." I wouldn't boo a college player before, I will now. Especially since I may be paying them with my NIL contribution going into their pocket. College football and basketball are now professional sports and these are the consequences.
no free lunch

It took us 3.5 yrs to get over Kadary on the board… over under on Maliq?
Once he guts buried on Duke's bench it will be out of sight out of mind.

Yep. That’s all that really needs to be said. Not sure why we need spin it. I’ve always been confused with the Lampkin vs Maliq angle. It’s all about Freeman and if he’s better than Maliq was overall not just offense, then it was the correct move because Maliq wasn’t going to play center again…so is what it is.

Lampkin replaces Jesse a year removed. Maliq couldn’t be a 5 because he didn’t want to be so he then is a 4 pushing Donnie to a 3 or a backup 4. A highly paid backup at that. Probably then you lose Bell and have to find a shooter that is proven and is ok off the bench. The “and thens” keep coming.

Outside of reworking the entire roster around keeping Maliq happy or raising an extra 600k in NIL, the whole thing just was doomed to not work out. I think it ends out zero sum no matter which way you go and next year (25-26)truly is the big needle mover.

I would also add that outside of the whole NIL stuff with Eddie there has been nothing from the staff saying it’s his team or he is the face of the program etc. It’s been that he is a big part of what they want to do. Still a lot more publicity than many would want given the context around his recruitment but by no means crowning him either. He still has to earn the respect no matter what he says on IG.

Last edited:

I agree with you here that it is all about Donnie, but I think the timing of when Maliq left made Lampkin come into the discussion. Donnie was already in the fold when Maliq announced he was staying. It wasn't until Lampkin was in consideration that Maliq decided to leave. This could have been random coincidence, but I think this is why so many on the board bring it up.

Obviously MB is a good player who provided a skill set that any team would welcome. That said I think our love for him here was enhanced because we aren't good and had little to hang on, and because we have had very few guys bring the intangibles to the table that MB does.

He also had shortcomings that can't be ignored. I think he left for the $ and the opportunity to play for a program that is tiers above ours. I hope he gets a lot of burn, but I think there is a better chance he gets lost than he flourishes.

I don't agree that Maliq was a role player, but I 100% believe Red is moving forward with what he wants in Donnie and what he is betting huge on in Lampkin.

This is all on Red, which is fine. He's in charge of the program.

My bet is that we will be disappointed in Lampkin (part because he's not as good as people are saying and part because I don't think he fits in the offense that we'll end up running with our personnel) and that Donnie will show flashes, be very solid, but won't be great immediately (but will still get drafted first round on upside).

But the goal is to make the tourney by hook or by crook. That's all that matters. My big bet is on Chris Bell. I'm just hoping JJ can drive the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom