Maliq Brown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, but did Brown shoot jumpers in high school? Is that something we can eventually expect to see him try.

I love his game right now. He’s got “it” and just excited to see what’s next from the young man.

Just curious, but did Brown shoot jumpers in high school? Is that something we can eventually expect to see him try.

I love his game right now. He’s got “it” and just excited to see what’s next from the young man.
Based on my research (which involved a google search and one clip on YouTube), No.

But all he needs is a free throw shot and a 10-ft jumper.

When Brown is in the game, I rarely take my eyes off him.
Brown moves so well, and to the right spots, and has a nose for the ball.
Brown never disappears, except to the bench unfortunately.
JB rewards dependability, therefore hope Brown's MPG last game is a signal that JB has been won over.

My guess, and only a guess, is that Jim sees him as being closer to a finished product in terms of skills and abilities and sees the other two as having higher ceilings which he hopes they can achieve by being force fed playing time.
Brown and JT seem ready for the moment, not so much Bell. (I am still on the fence about Benny).
Would love to see JB quit playing Benny just because and Bell just because dad owns roc nation. We’ve seen what guys like Brown, Taylor and Copeland can do when given extended minutes where JB actually allows them to play through a mistake and get into the flow of the game. (I think that is a big part of things people are missing) We’re getting into ACC play. Time to stop messing around with the lineups and stop playing musical chairs with players. Start and play the guys who have earned it. The starting lineup should be Mintz Girard Taylor Brown and Edwards. Torrence and Copeland first off the bench. Those players have been the most consistent in effort and in play and give the best mix of shooters inside and out and of rebounding and defense. Let that group build some chemistry and confidence and see what happens. I think people will be pleasantly surprised

Would love to see JB quit playing Benny just because and Bell just because dad owns roc nation. We’ve seen what guys like Brown, Taylor and Copeland can do when given extended minutes where JB actually allows them to play through a mistake and get into the flow of the game. (I think that is a big part of things people are missing) We’re getting into ACC play. Time to stop messing around with the lineups and stop playing musical chairs with players. Start and play the guys who have earned it. The starting lineup should be Mintz Girard Taylor Brown and Edwards. Torrence and Copeland first off the bench. Those players have been the most consistent in effort and in play and give the best mix of shooters inside and out and of rebounding and defense. Let that group build some chemistry and confidence and see what happens. I think people will be pleasantly surprised
Disagree.
Sitting Benny permanently would be a big mistake, & Bell is the only other perimeter threat on the team ..when he's actually hitting of course.
I think you start and play them, but utilize the quick hook when they're giving you nothing. Bell especially has gotten major rope this year. If he's not giving extra effort or hitting his shot, then you have him go sit down somewhere. Same for Benny.

Disagree.
Sitting Benny permanently would be a big mistake, & Bell is the only other perimeter threat on the team ..when he's actually hitting of course.
I think you start and play them, but utilize the quick hook when they're giving you nothing. Bell especially has gotten major rope this year. If he's not giving extra effort or hitting his shot, then you have him go sit down somewhere. Same for Benny.
When Benny is playing well, he's better than all the other forwards including Maliq. Although, when Benny is playing well, he and Maliq are the best combo we have at forward. As you said, if the effort or energy aren't there, then give those minutes to someone else. I think Taylor will become a solid shooter.

Most positive development of the entire season in my book. Really solid player, like him a lot. Hope he sticks around for 4 years.

I called Maliq Brown a dark horse to start in pre-season, just because of what he's showing us now. He's the one among all our forwards who can rebound, and plays the best positional defense. On offense, he works the offensive glass and gets more easy put backs that all our other forwards combined.

He's our most important forward, if the goal is still to actually win games.

Benny jumps higher and is a bit faster, but he's not tough enough, and he makes things too difficult sometimes, shooting turnarounds into traffic in the lane, rather than making a more direct move toward the hoop, and use that athleticism and maybe get to the line.

Chris has a nice looking shot, but doesn't do nearly enough. Taylor isn't a legit 3 point threat, but he's got a more consistent looking shot than Bell, especially when he gets inside the three point line and takes that midrange jumper.

Copeland hustles, is making fewer "home run" attempts at plays, and is improving. His effort has always been there; it's just cutting down mistakes. He's a pretty good offensive rebounder, too. I wouldn't mind finding opportunities to isolate him on the low post against a smaller guard, when teams defend us man-to-man. I'll bet he could excel at that, and might unleash the Josh Pace that I think is inside of him.

When Brown is in the game, I rarely take my eyes off him.
Brown moves so well, and to the right spots, and has a nose for the ball.
Brown never disappears, except to the bench unfortunately.
JB rewards dependability, therefore hope Brown's MPG last game is a signal that JB has been won over.
We never have guys like him anymore. We always have athletes who have no instincts, or stiffs who have no athleticism but can shoot(last year).

Brown is a solid athlete who has the instinicts and just gets it done.

So the double team on Jessie on the next to last play occurred because Browns defender left him because he didn’t have to guard Brown from 15feet.

Have to put a second scorer on the court with Brown. Not sure he works well opposite Cope or Benny. It’s a dilemma.

So the double team on Jessie on the next to last play occurred because Browns defender left him because he didn’t have to guard Brown from 15feet.

Have to put a second scorer on the court with Brown. Not sure he works well opposite Cope or Benny. It’s a dilemma.
It's so complex. Personally, I would have spread everything out with 3 guys outside the three point line and just Jesse inside. Let Judah penetrate and then either try to draw a foul, get a shot up, or dish off to Jesse if his man leaves him. He could also dish to the perimeter if someone's man leaves them. But, I would let Judah be the point guard and make the decisions. He's going to have to do that sooner or later. But, you could tell he was forcing the play.

Yep. I pointed that out. As soon as Brown drifted out to the foul line area his man stayed in the paint and played centerfield. For that specific play I would have liked to have seen bell or Taylor inserted for brown.

Benny has a better chance of turning into a reliable 8-10 point scorer than Bell does, IMO. That's all we need from him this year. But it has to be more consistent, and with better effort and results on defense and the boards.

I think if Brown plays 20 minutes, he'll also give you about 8 and 6. If you can get consistency from those two without giving up too much on defense, then you can bring in Copeland and Taylor as another somewhat-balanced pairing, or use Bell against a zone.

Benny has a better chance of turning into a reliable 8-10 point scorer than Bell does, IMO. That's all we need from him this year. But it has to be more consistent, and with better effort and results on defense and the boards.

I think if Brown plays 20 minutes, he'll also give you about 8 and 6. If you can get consistency from those two without giving up too much on defense, then you can bring in Copeland and Taylor as another somewhat-balanced pairing, or use Bell against a zone.
From night to night, who the hell knows what we’ll get. So, in each game, we better get it figured out fast and play those guys 30 minutes. It doesn’t matter which two.

From night to night, who the hell knows what we’ll get. So, in each game, we better get it figured out fast and play those guys 30 minutes. It doesn’t matter which two.

I think Benny is trending up. Before the Pitt game, he had a stretch of 4 good games in a row, averaging about 12 points and 5 rebounds a game, shooting a bit over 50% from the floor, and hitting a 3 every other game. Not a bad stretch.

Chris Bell is playing like a guy who should come off the bench. He has some good games, and some invisible games. If he wasn't starting every game, his contributions would look better. He could offer some offense off the bench.

I think Benny is trending up. Before the Pitt game, he had a stretch of 4 good games in a row, averaging about 12 points and 5 rebounds a game, shooting a bit over 50% from the floor, and hitting a 3 every other game. Not a bad stretch.

Chris Bell is playing like a guy who should come off the bench. He has some good games, and some invisible games. If he wasn't starting every game, his contributions would look better. He could offer some offense off the bench.
Benny struggles against those thug teams like Pitt. Most of our guys do. I really think Justin Taylor ends up being a real player.

Benny struggles against those thug teams like Pitt. Most of our guys do. I really think Justin Taylor ends up being a real player.

I agree with you about Taylor. He's already showing some flashes. He had that great game against Bryant, where he hit for 25. Boeheim gave him 20+ minutes for the next 4 games, and he was OK, but he was just a bit player, hitting around 4-5 points a game.

Yep. I pointed that out. As soon as Brown drifted out to the foul line area his man stayed in the paint and played centerfield. For that specific play I would have liked to have seen bell or Taylor inserted for brown.
Agreed. I like Bell at the foul line. Jesse low post. Play off that.

Bell needs to start/ shoot his way to the bench to be replaced by Brown.Bennie needs to start in the three B forward rotation.Jesee Judah and Joe complete the starters. Copeland earned a look as first guard off the bench.

Agree with that 100%. Taylor should've been in there. He would at least be moving.

Not to get too critical on this but the last couple of seasons haven't been the best for JB closing out games.

Agree with that 100%. Taylor should've been in there. He would at least be moving.

Not to get too critical on this but the last couple of seasons haven't been the best for JB closing out games.

We’ll never know but maybe just maybe if Taylor was in, or even Bell, the defender doesn’t leave them wide open at the foul line and the steal doesn’t happen. The argument for Brown is the offensive rebound if Jesse misses the shot. Brown left the lane to cause space for Jesse but it was a smart decision by the Pitt defender not to go with Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom