Maliq Brown | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with that 100%. Taylor should've been in there. He would at least be moving.

Not to get too critical on this but the last couple of seasons haven't been the best for JB closing out games.
I've always felt this way in terms of setting up game ending plays, or when breaking full court pressure when the D was playing full denial on the one guy trying to get open.

The end of game sequence needed to have Jesse moving as well. He was not going to be able to simply post up and get a clean entry pass. Pitt took this away pretty much all game.

I get why JB is starting Benny and Bell.

Benny is a former 5-star, and he's had a year in the program -- even though he barely played last year and was essentially completely inexperienced heading into the season. He's a 'tweener forward in the sense that he really isn't a PF, but also doesn't have the skills needed to be a SF. But by starting him, you hopefully let him play his way through mistakes to gain experience, and he "feels" better as a starter instead of being relegated to the pine. In other words, JB is giving him every opportunity to actualize his potential, even though his production isn't what you'd expect from a former 5-star recruit.

Bell offers shooting, and we have a perimeter-challenged roster, so that skill brings value. Problem is, if he doesn't hit some shots, he rarely contributes in other ways, and is a liability.

If you pull either of them from the starting lineup, you risk losing their focus -- and setting wheels in motion for a probable transfer.

But the problem is, Brown is better. So it's a dilemma.
No dilemma, as long as Brown gets his 30 MPG it doesnt matter who starts.

Nor does it matter who transfers if a kid has the opportunity and cant earn minutes.

This may be controversial but if Chris Bells dad wasn’t a big timer at Roc Nation sports he wouldn’t be starting. No idea how he looks at practice though..just sayin

Would love to see JB quit playing Benny just because and Bell just because dad owns roc nation. We’ve seen what guys like Brown, Taylor and Copeland can do when given extended minutes where JB actually allows them to play through a mistake and get into the flow of the game. (I think that is a big part of things people are missing) We’re getting into ACC play. Time to stop messing around with the lineups and stop playing musical chairs with players. Start and play the guys who have earned it. The starting lineup should be Mintz Girard Taylor Brown and Edwards. Torrence and Copeland first off the bench. Those players have been the most consistent in effort and in play and give the best mix of shooters inside and out and of rebounding and defense. Let that group build some chemistry and confidence and see what happens. I think people will be pleasantly surprised
It’s so funny to read posts like this. Every year people on this board are complaining (justifiably) about JB not playing enough players and JB not using his bench. Then this year he actually goes deep into his bench and rotates in lots of guys (and uses them situationally or subs in when guys are playing poorly), and posters still complain. I can’t with this.

We have six guys rotating at the forward spots and none of them are really good enough right now to be starters. Not that they won’t be next year or the year after (or hopefully later this season!).

Last edited:
So the double team on Jessie on the next to last play occurred because Browns defender left him because he didn’t have to guard Brown from 15feet.

Have to put a second scorer on the court with Brown. Not sure he works well opposite Cope or Benny. It’s a dilemma.
I was gonna point this out. Brown is a low post player. That’s one reason why he gets more rebounds and put backs (and yes, he’s also a good, heady player who has a knack for getting himself in the right place and not trying to do anything he can’t do). Bell and Taylor are perimeter guys who drag their defenders out of the paint because they’re a threat from 3. JB definitely wants to avoid clogging the lane so Jesse can operate.

Last edited:
No dilemma, as long as Brown gets his 30 MPG it doesnt matter who starts.
I get the mins thing...I'd only question how many times can you get behind by 10+ before you suggest maybe we need to switch it up

Maybe we come out the next 3 games and start great? Who knows.

I'd just like to see something more than "we start who plays best in practice" when we have actual numbers we can study that might suggest the lineup that we start doesnt work well together.

Bell and Taylor are perimeter guys who drag their defenders out of the paint because their a threat from 3. JB definitely wants to avoid clogging the lane so Jesse can operate.
I get the reasoning, I just haven't seen much that indicates it is very successful relative to the team as a whole. JAB has never been much of a feed the post offensive philosophy (with the rare notable exceptions). Having Jesse set picks at the 3pt line for Judah to drive off doesn't really set Jesse up for offense.

I get the reasoning, I just haven't seen much that indicates it is very successful relative to the team as a whole. JAB has never been much of a feed the post offensive philosophy (with the rare notable exceptions). Having Jesse set picks at the 3pt line for Judah to drive off doesn't really set Jesse up for offense.

You also have to ignore that we were down 13 at the 6 min mark and had 64 pts.

The lineup then is changed to Judah, Joe, QC, Maliq, and Jesse

We proceed to score 18 POINTS in 5 and a half mins and cut the lead to 1.
Zero pts were scored by Jesse.

And then we decide at that moment with that lineup, now is the time to go to Jesse.

So the issue wasn't the lineup couldnt score. That's simply a fallacy. We did score.

The issue was the play and that Judah threw a lazy pass. Thats it. The handwringing over the spacing is the JB mind meld stuff

You also have to ignore that we were down 13 at the 6 min mark and had 64 pts.

The lineup then is changed to Judah, Joe, QC, Maliq, and Jesse

We proceed to score 18 POINTS in 5 and a half mins and cut the lead to 1.
Zero pts were scored by Jesse.

And then we decide at that moment with that lineup, now is the time to go to Jesse.

So the issue wasn't the lineup couldnt score. That's simply a fallacy. We did score.

The issue was the play and that Judah threw a lazy pass. Thats it. The handwringing over the spacing is the JB mind meld stuff
Clearing out for Copeland would’ve made more sense than dumping it into Edwards based on the context of what was happening on the court in that game.

It's so complex. Personally, I would have spread everything out with 3 guys outside the three point line and just Jesse inside. Let Judah penetrate and then either try to draw a foul, get a shot up, or dish off to Jesse if his man leaves him. He could also dish to the perimeter if someone's man leaves them. But, I would let Judah be the point guard and make the decisions. He's going to have to do that sooner or later. But, you could tell he was forcing the play.
Other than Joe, I bet they wouldn’t have guarded the 3.

It's still early, so I might be going a bit over the top. But I think Maliq will turn into the player that JB was hoping Tyler Roberson would be on a consistent basis.
Maliq is already considerably better than Roberson ever was

You are in fact being racist by suggesting that 'thug' is a racial term

BS. Thugs are thugs. If your mind only conjures a certain image when you hear a word, then maybe you have the problem.
Coming from you two board luminaries, I’m truly hurt.

I’m good with my stance and well aware of my own shortcomings. Using that word to describe basketball players who play aggressive defense will never be a me issue.

I’m good with my stance and well aware of my own shortcomings. Using that word to describe basketball players who play aggressive defense will never be a me issue.
K, don't care what you do, I'll continue to use the term for a variety of applications

LOL, I guess you have no problem walking around (name the inner city) alone at night. John Thompson was scared of certain parts of D.C. Reality bites.
Not all thugs are criminal. Most are civil, well educated who use the ballot box to justify expenditure of OPM including future generations.

Last edited:

Whether they use the term when talking about hockey players who fistfight in games or hotheaded baseball crybabies who throw balls at people at 95 mph and charge the mound over hurt feelings or not is the telltale.

BS. Thugs are thugs. If your mind only conjures a certain image when you hear a word, then maybe you have the problem.
When I think of a thug on the basketball court the image of Bill Lambier is the first that comes to mind.

Just curious, but did Brown shoot jumpers in high school? Is that something we can eventually expect to see him try.

I love his game right now. He’s got “it” and just excited to see what’s next from the young man.
Love how he plays, how long has it been since we had a forward who played big inside and did not look to shoot jumpers. He is a keeper

Bell needs to start/ shoot his way to the bench to be replaced by Brown.Bennie needs to start in the three B forward rotation.Jesee Judah and Joe complete the starters. Copeland earned a look as first guard off the bench.

I understand what you're saying, but his defense and rebounding is so weak that we almost always fall behind by 5-10 points in the first 5 minutes of nearly every game.

Clearing out for Copeland would’ve made more sense than dumping it into Edwards based on the context of what was happening on the court in that game.

I agree. If you could isolate Copeland on the block against a guard, move Jesse to the offside, or the foul line to draw the defender's bigs away, and I like Copeland's chance to post up a guard.

It's so complex. Personally, I would have spread everything out with 3 guys outside the three point line and just Jesse inside. Let Judah penetrate and then either try to draw a foul, get a shot up, or dish off to Jesse if his man leaves him. He could also dish to the perimeter if someone's man leaves them. But, I would let Judah be the point guard and make the decisions. He's going to have to do that sooner or later. But, you could tell he was forcing the play.
This is what we should have done on the last play with 6 seconds left with Joe as the inbounder trailing Judah. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom