Maliq reminds me of Rick Jackson | Syracusefan.com

Maliq reminds me of Rick Jackson

jgeorge322

Living Legend
I think Maliq is beyond Rick at the same stage but they make plays that are needed to win games. Its not glamorous and we arent going to run offense through Maliq anytime soon if ever but they hang around the hoop and make plays. Such a great asset to have.

I think Maliq is beyond Rick at the same stage but they make plays that are needed to win games. Its not glamorous and we arent going to run offense through Maliq anytime soon if ever but they hang around the hoop and make plays. Such a great asset to have.
If Maliq can put on 20 pounds, Watch out

Maliq had a good game but I think perspective is important. Let's dial it back a bit. If he can become an all conference player by the time he graduates, this comparison will be valid.

Maliq is definitely not overweight. He has great timing around the rim. He has Lawrence Moten type feel for the game. Let’s jus5 hope everyone keeps improving. One game at a time.

Funny you should say this. I thought the same thing. He's got the physical playing style of Rick, but moves still kind of runs and moves like a 3. He will be a fun watch next couple of years.

He's got a good natural feel for the game and seems to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time. The game comes easier for guys like that. He can only get better with added strength (not necessarily weight) and skills development. Offensively, to round out his game, he will need one or two go to moves and a short jumper.

He's got a lot of potential. Is he a legit NBA power forward, which I think would be at least 6'9 in shoes?

Maliq is definitely not overweight. He has great timing around the rim. He has Lawrence Moten type feel for the game. Let’s jus5 hope everyone keeps improving. One game at a time.
Maliq just knows how to move on the basketball court. On offense, he cuts at the right time. He knows where his teammates are and typically makes the right pass. He just seems to have that feel. It looks natural and easy. Poor Benny has the physical tools, but he thinks his way through the game. If Benny could ever relax and just play, we would have a hell of set of forwards. I think Taylor has a great feel for the game as well. And, Bell is coming around.

Rick was a low post center type with a back to the basket game who had excellent footwork, even as a a freshman. He could post up and maneuver on the low block. I don’t see that being Maliq’s game right now. But he has other strengths and pairs well with the guards and Jesse.

Players that are not stars but know thier role and always play hard don't end up in the doghouse. Maliq, Marek,Baye for example.
You are missing my point… Tyler was a highly rated forward who just wanted to rebound the ball and played really solid defense. He knew his role and was very good at it.

JB wanted him to do more offensively and used to criticize him in public to motivate him. So basically Roberson was in the dog house his entire time here. Roberson was a better version of Malia, but because JB wanted more out of him he was in the doghouse but Maliq isn’t.

You are missing my point… Tyler was a highly rated forward who just wanted to rebound the ball and played really solid defense. He knew his role and was very good at it.

JB wanted him to do more offensively and used to criticize him in public to motivate him. So basically Roberson was in the dog house his entire time here. Roberson was a better version of Malia, but because JB wanted more out of him he was in the doghouse but Maliq isn’t.
I think Roberson has more in common with Benny than he does Maliq.

You are missing my point… Tyler was a highly rated forward who just wanted to rebound the ball and played really solid defense.

He knew his role and was very good at it. LOL WUT??!’

You literally have this exactly backwards.
Bravo!

Roberson did not just want to rebound the ball and play D.
Did you even watch the games while he was here??

JAB wanted him to do those things, and those things only - and when he did with good effort, he was wildly effective.

Robey wanted to show he had SF skills, so he’d try to dribble-drive…
And travel 100% of the time.

He’d shoot the occasional midrange J…. And miss.
He’d float around instead of banging down low, and his rebounding #’s would fall off a cliff.

I guess it’s just the way of the world today, that 2 people can look at the same thing, and come to the exact opposite conclusion.

FWIW - JAB and I, and I’d imagine the majority of posters here, are in agreement about Robey.

(Although I’d also agree with the vast majority of posters who thought JAB was unnecessarily nasty to Robey in pressers, and destroyed his confidence)

This team needs consistency more than anything and that's exactly what Brown brings. Can't say he's ever had a bad sequence, let alone a bad game. Plays like a multi-year starter

Bravo!

JAB wanted him to do those things, and those things only - and when he did with good effort, he was wildly effective.

He’d float around instead of banging down low, and his rebounding #’s would fall off a cliff.

I guess it’s just the way of the world today, that 2 people can look at the same thing, and come to the exact opposite conclusion.

FWIW - JAB and I, and I’d imagine the majority of posters here, are in agreement about Robey.

(Although I’d also agree with the vast majority of posters who thought JAB was unnecessarily nasty to Robey in pressers, and destroyed his confidence)
Maybe I had I backwards… between Guerrier, Oshae and Roberson, I’ve lost track of Syracuse forwards who wanted to float around the three point circle.

If I recall, early in Rick Jackson's career at SU, didn't Coleman come in and work with him once or twice? Maybe it was a "left-handed thing". Another interesting part of comparing Maliq to Rick was both come here as tag alongs with another player we were looking at.

Bravo!

Wasn't Roberson the player for whom JB coined the phrase "he had one more rebound than a dead guy?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom