Marcus Smart Officially | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

After reading this thread I was expecting a lot more violence. Barkley spit on a guy, didn't cost him anything.

Wonder what the fan said. No reason for a middle aged man to talk junk to a guy trying to make a play who ended up in the crowd.

After reading this thread I was expecting a lot more violence. Barkley spit on a guy, didn't cost him anything.

Wonder what the fan said. No reason for a middle aged man to talk junk to a guy trying to make a play who ended up in the crowd.
The NBA, to it's shame, protected it's stars at any cost under Stern. Smart won't be as lucky.

The problem is Smart goes after the fan in the crowd in this situation. You absolutely have to punish severely because without fans you have nothing and you cannot allow Players to do that.

How long would he be suspended if he shoved a ref like that? If this was the pros I can see a lighter suspension, but its college..

How long would he be suspended if he shoved a ref like that? If this was the pros I can see a lighter suspension, but its college..
Totally different. A ref wouldn't be talking ish to him in his face.

How can you not be? They are really lucky a riot didn't happen. You can't touch a ref or a fan. Period.

Outraged, lol? Surprised yes. Fan said something stupid probably and Smart overreacted. He'll sit out a game or two. Bilas said it was out of character knowing Smart for him to do this. Probably a culmination of the recent struggles and defections on the team. You can't do that obviously but I'm not outraged.

The problem is Smart goes after the fan in the crowd in this situation. You absolutely have to punish severely because without fans you have nothing and you cannot allow Players to do that.

Fans don't have license to say and do what they please due to ticket location...if anything it's the opposite.

Would like to hear what the exchange was,

Katz said this was similar to the NBA debacle a few years back (I'm assuming the Artest altercation).This isn't even close to what happened at the Palace. Smart was practically in the stands after trying to make a defensive play. He didn't climb up 10 rows and punch someone.

Can't push a fan, that's for sure, but sometimes it's hard to control your emotions especially when some fat clown is jabbing at you.

Travis Ford does a pretty good job avoiding the questions in the post game. Smart of him really but you can tell he knows the sheet is going to hit the fan.

Wasn' t it more than enough? Short of punching him in the face it was as bad as it gets.

Outraged, lol? Surprised yes. Fan said something stupid probably and Smart overreacted. He'll sit out a game or two. Bilas said it was out of character knowing Smart for him to do this. Probably a culmination of the recent struggles and defections on the team. You can't do that obviously but I'm not outraged.
We have no idea what the fan said. None. It has to be more than a game or two.

I'm guessing it was something personal or racial. Smart clearly heard something he didn't like. He was getting up normally and then whipped his head around like he was surprised by what he heard.

He should not have engaged the fan. Period. However, something tells me Mr. Fan was not innocent in this. He might get some backlash from this too.

Fans don't have license to say and do what they please due to ticket location...if anything it's the opposite.

Oh I would as well and I agree that Fans have no license to act certain ways. But The fan in no way initiates physical contact and looks to if anything be backing away a bit as Smart gets close.

Fans don't have a license to do anything they want. Say is a different matter. Oklahoma state was just losing the game. It might not have taken too much to set him off. It seemed that the guys wife and daughter were right there.Seemed that Smart has been on edge lately.

Marcus Smart should be suspended for a game or two and nothing should happen to the fan.

That's my 2 cents.

Basketball fights are treated like the most serious things on the planet.
This wasn' t a fight between two players, he shoved a fan...its the one thing he can't do.