Marek... | Syracusefan.com

Marek...

newmexicuse

All Conference
has any player at the Cuse ever had more intra-season improvement ??

Kid started out the season playing shy and reticent. By the end he was our best player in at least two of our last five games, found his niche on O, executed with aplumb, and always, always played his heart out and looked like he truly loves the game.

As another poster said, we went from plus 3 to minus 7 when he sat. need to say more ???

Kid started out the season playing shy and reticent. By the end he was our best player in at least two of our last five games, found his niche on O, executed with aplumb, and always, always played his heart out and looked like he truly loves the game.

As another poster said, we went from plus 3 to minus 7 when he sat. need to say more ???
Had to change my shorts when he drove and slammed early in the game.

Love his b-ball sense and feel for the game on offense. He plays to his strengths and does whatever the team needs him to do. Much like Josh Pace in that sense. Josh is one of my all time favorites at Cuse - really, him and Sherman are my top 2. Marek could end up way up there for me.

I was going to say if he can dial down the aggressiveness on defense when he’s in foul trouble...but with normal depth next year, that shouldn’t be an issue.

If Marek doesn't get in foul trouble early in the game, we win. Those 8 or so minutes he sat in the 1st half is when Duke pushed it to 7 and we looked completely lost offensively. When Marek was in the offense flowed so much better.

He is awesome. Going to be a serious weapon in future years. But I would argue Chukwu is right there for improvement. He absolutely contended with two lotto guys last night. Really proud of those two.

Agreed. He looked pretty good in November and December and it seemed he could be a contributor, though he was a bit reluctant to shoot and lacked aggressiveness on offense. Early in ACC play he was clearly overwhelmed by the size and speed of the players in the league. But since then he’s improved steadily and remarkably and they finally got him to start looking for his mid range shot.

I think his confidence has grown more than his ability. I think that was there from the start of the season, showed some of it in the very early games. . He was just tentative on offense. Became less tentative and voila.

That was his best game of the game - played extremely confident - he appears to be the ideal player against a zone defense

The exciting thing is that there is still so much upside to Marek's game. Mid range game transformed completely in the last two months (Great job, Red!). Now stretch it out to the 3 and spend the summer in the weight room to get a body to match the skills and sit back and watch!

He also may be the perfect 5 vs small teams especially if the opponent is playing zone. Beef up his weight and arms and he'll be the 3-4-5 guy that Boeheim can plug and play depending on the opponent and foul trouble.

So when do we find out if he returns? Feels like we won’t know for sure until fall enrollment starts.

So when do we find out if he returns? Feels like we won’t know for sure until fall enrollment starts.
He said in his interview yesterday that he’s going back to Slovakia for the first half of summer, then coming back for the second summer session. No reason to think otherwise.

Whoa, slow the horses. Bird was one of the best shooters of all time. Marek will never get to that level with his shot.
Agree about Bird. I'm not saying he will BE Larry Bird, I'm saying he will be a poor-man's version. For me Bird's innate passing ability and bball IQ, stood him apart from everyone else. The only player who matched Bird in those 2 areas was Magic, hence the great rivalry. Marek is a great passer, even now. His grit and IQ are off-the-charts- he just knows how to play the game. The more you watch him, the more you notice things that separate him from the average player.
Again, if he develops range out to the 3-point line, I believe he has all the tools to be a Bird-like player. I stand by my prediction...and I'm sure folks will hold me to it!!;)

Agree about Bird. I'm not saying he will BE Larry Bird, I'm saying he will be a poor-man's version. For me Bird's innate passing ability and bball IQ, stood him apart from everyone else. The only player who matched Bird in those 2 areas was Magic, hence the great rivalry. Marek is a great passer, even now. His grit and IQ are off-the-charts- he just knows how to play the game. The more you watch him, the more you notice things that separate him from the average player.
Again, if he develops range out to the 3-point line, I believe he has all the tools to be a Bird-like player. I stand by my prediction...and I'm sure folks will hold me to it!!;)
Let’s hope it comes true!

I’d say Lazarus Sims is a guy who comes to mind. Became a legit scoring threat by the end of the ‘96 season after not showing any scoring ability the first 3.5 years.

The guy Marek reminds me the most of is CJ Fair. I'm not suggesting that they are exactly the same, or that their games are perfectly identical [although very similar], but primarily because they both played with such high hoops IQ and poise, even as frosh. Fair and Dolezaj both have a tremendous feel for the game, which enables them to be in the right place at the right time, and to play with the poise you'd expect from more experienced players. Dolezaj's experience both playing extensive international ball and having played against men cannot be understated -- his readiness factor is much higher than most frosh because of those things.

Marek could be a monster in two years. Just imagine him 25 pounds heavier, with range out to the three point line. Damn.

hes got the best floater ive seen from anyone on cuse since edelin. pace had a nice one too. very unique shot, and marek can make it from any angle. hes got an incredible soft touch on that shot.

Love his b-ball sense and feel for the game on offense. He plays to his strengths and does whatever the team needs him to do. Much like Josh Pace in that sense. Josh is one of my all time favorites at Cuse - really, him and Sherman are my top 2. Marek could end up way up there for me.

I was going to say if he can dial down the aggressiveness on defense when he’s in foul trouble...but with normal depth next year, that shouldn’t be an issue.

The Pace floater was as automatic as the sunrise each day.

Lol, someone who could develop into a poor-man's Larry bird would be a top 3 draft pick this June. Maybe you meant to say a poor man's Kyle Anderson, or a homeless-but-somehow-500k-in-debt man's Larry Bird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom