Mark Packer is blistering the B1G and SEC… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mark Packer is blistering the B1G and SEC…

Making the NCAAT should come down to your body of work this year. However if a few teams are generally equal and you are splitting hairs to pick teams, then past success should be a factor.

Where I do think past success should come into play is with seeding. We probably should knock each B1G team down a seed line. I would tell the B1G, if you have a problem with it then prove us wrong.

In the modern era of the NCAAT (since going to 64 teams) and looking at where everyone will be in a few years, championships by teams within their current conference...

13 - ACC (5 schools)
7 - Big East (2 schools)
6 - SEC (3 schools)
5 - B1G (5 schools)
4 - B12 (2 schools)
1- MWC, P10

So after this year, you can add one more to either the ACC (and a 6th school), Big East, MWC (and a 2nd school), or the AAC.

Last championship by a team in current/future conference...

B12 2022
ACC 2019
Big East 2018
SEC 2012
B1G 2002
P10 1997
MWC 1990

It is possible that the AAC or MWC can have more teams with titles than the P10 and the same amount of titles as the B1G over the last 23 years.

These OOC games used to be spread out in the season. Difficult to accurately assess teams being re-formed each year with the transfer portal by completing OOC games so early in the season. This year our last OOC game was Dec 10th almost 3 months before the end of the ACC season.

Bingo. To me that is the biggest thing. Just setup a non conference two week window in February on everyone's schedule.

These OOC games used to be spread out in the season. Difficult to accurately assess teams being re-formed each year with the transfer portal by completing OOC games so early in the season. This year our last OOC game was Dec 10th almost 3 months from the end of the ACC season.
Yup. Some teams peak in December. Some peak in March. Would like to see February OOC games put back on the schedule again.

Bingo. To me that is the biggest thing. Just setup a non conference two week window in February on everyone's schedule.
There can be President’s weekend 8 team tournaments. One school from each P6 conference plus 2 mid majors. Everyone plays 3 games in 3 days.

It is good prep for the conference and NCAA tournaments. NFL has just ended so you have a showcase weekend for CBBall. Conferences only need to leave one opening, so schedules aren’t impacted too much.

There can be President’s weekend 8 team tournaments. One school from each P6 conference plus 2 mid majors. Everyone plays 3 games in 3 days.

It is good prep for the conference and NCAA tournaments. NFL has just ended so you have a showcase weekend for CBBall. Conferences only need to leave one opening, so schedules aren’t impacted too much.

Mid season tourneys I think are a stretch and would be tough on the kids. I like the pre season tourneys as it's more manageable for the student athletes. Schedule 4 games over 2 weeks in this window. Have 3 more conference matchups before the Xmas holiday.

I can't think of a dumber way to judge conferences than by how they perform in the NCAA Tournament.
I agree with you if you are cherry picking specific years, however, when your conference hasn’t won a national championship in 23 years, I think it’s fair to criticize that conference.

I mean, isn’t the NCAA tournament the ultimate nonconference measuring stick?

I mean, we placed annual emphasis on how teams due in December against nonconference opponents, but then we’re not supposed to take into consideration how they perform in march in nonconference games?

It seems rather ridiculous.

When the results are consistent you sure can. The best example is the B10. They are grossly overrated and over seeded year after year after year.

So while scheduling needs to change and i think is a great start, you also need an effective alternative. The advanced metrics are extremely favorable for the Big 10.

11 of the 14 Big Ten teams were in the top 50 of KenPom and 12/14 in the top 70.

So step 1 is scheduling and let's see how that plays out. One other thing to note is only one BIG team was in the top 20 of Ken Pom... thus 1000x on them being over seeded.

I can't think of a dumber way to judge conferences than by how they perform in the NCAA Tournament.
You can apply that logic to all sports at all levels. However, you only get to put up a banner if you win it all, and over time people only remember the winners. I'll grant you that it doesn't reflect the best team.

You can apply that logic to all sports at all levels. However, you only get to put up a banner if you win it all, and over time people only remember the winners. I'll grant you that it doesn't reflect the best team.
You think the NCAA tourney is as good a way as the NBA, MLB and NHL?

and 2000 only happened because JB refused to switch out of the zone after Msu solved it.

There’s absolutely no way that happened…. no way…..

I agree with you if you are cherry picking specific years, however, when your conference hasn’t won a national championship in 23 years, I think it’s fair to criticize that conference.

I mean, isn’t the NCAA tournament the ultimate nonconference measuring stick?

I mean, we placed annual emphasis on how teams due in December against nonconference opponents, but then we’re not supposed to take into consideration how they perform in march in nonconference games?

It seems rather ridiculous.
Bingo. Extrapolating conference strength from one season is very dumb. But over 20+ seasons... far less dumb.

The B1G is a good conference. But it's not a championship conference. We know this because they don't win men's basketball championships.

I'm not opposed to using the NCAA as one aspect of judging conferences, but I just can't wrap my mind on judging the whole 15 team conference because a couple teams do well. It's like me bragging about how much Lou Ferrigno and I can combine to bench press.

Bingo. Extrapolating conference strength from one season is very dumb. But over 20+ seasons... far less dumb.

The B1G is a good conference. But it's not a championship conference. We know this because they don't win men's basketball championships.

Football too. Since the BCS started the B1G has TWO football titles. That is over 25 seasons. Even worse they have ONE in the last 20 and ZERO in the last 8.

Before the BCS they last won an outright title (both polls) in 1968. That is 54 years and TWO outright titles (Michigan split in 1997). Take away Ohio State and the B1G has ONE split title in the last 56 seasons. In fairness they have added teams with titles to the league (USC, Nebraska, Penn State).

Edit

So in both FB and BBall the 16 schools that will be in the B1G have ONE title combined in the last 18 years. Even the 6 schools they added haven't won a thing over that span. Maryland won in BBall in 2002 and USC won in FB in 2004.

Last edited:
BTW the soon to be P10 is even worse.

In BBall they last won a title way back in 1997 (Arizona). Once UCLA is gone, you have to go all the way back to 1959 for one of the P10 schools to have won a BBall title.

In football once USC is gone the rest of the teams will have TWO split titles since the AP Poll started in 1936. That is over the last 86 years, with the last one of those split titles being in 1991.

Mid season tourneys I think are a stretch and would be tough on the kids. I like the pre season tourneys as it's more manageable for the student athletes. Schedule 4 games over 2 weeks in this window. Have 3 more conference matchups before the Xmas holiday.
I agree. I don't think mid-season tourneys are a good idea. Making teams play 3 games in quick succession is tough on the players at a time when they could probably use a few days off.
I like the idea of something like 5 team inter-conference pods with a 4 game round Robin over 2 weeks. It's probably very difficult to enact from a schedule standpoint.

So in the "modern era" of CFB (where there is a Championship game), by schools in their future conference...

16.5 (one split) - SEC
5 - ACC
3.5 - B16
0.0 - B12, P12, G5s, Notre Dame

If you want to count the FBS/FCS split as the "modern era" then...

22.0 - SEC
11.0 - ACC
9.0 - B16
1.0 - B12, P12, Notre Dame
0.0 - G5s

Yes, the great Notre Dame football program has all of ONE title in the last 45 seasons.

Edit

When you look at titles of the current makeup of each conference in both FB and BBall, can we even call the B12 or P10 a P5/6 anymore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom