Mark Packer is blistering the B1G and SEC… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mark Packer is blistering the B1G and SEC…

Football too. Since the BCS started the B1G has TWO football titles. That is over 25 seasons. Even worse they have ONE in the last 20 and ZERO in the last 8.

Before the BCS they last won an outright title (both polls) in 1968. That is 54 years and TWO outright titles (Michigan split in 1997). Take away Ohio State and the B1G has ONE split title in the last 56 seasons. In fairness they have added teams with titles to the league (USC, Nebraska, Penn State).

Edit

So in both FB and BBall the 16 schools that will be in the B1G have ONE title combined in the last 18 years. Even the 6 schools they added haven't won a thing over that span. Maryland won in BBall in 2002 and USC won in FB in 2004.

The B10 and PAC10 should be considered mid majors.

So in the "modern era" of CFB (where there is a Championship game), by schools in their future conference...

16.5 (one split) - SEC
5 - ACC
3.5 - B16
0.0 - B12, P12, G5s, Notre Dame

If you want to count the FBS/FCS split as the "modern era" then...

22.0 - SEC
11.0 - ACC
9.0 - B16
1.0 - B12, P12, Notre Dame
0.0 - G5s

Yes, the great Notre Dame football program has all of ONE title in the last 45 seasons.

Edit

When you look at titles of the current makeup of each conference in both FB and BBall, can we even call the B12 or P10 a P5/6 anymore?
I believe BYU & Colorado have titles.

What ACC team deserved to get in that didnt? Clemson this year is the only one you could argue. Is C-USA and Mountain West better conferences now because they have teams in final 4? Its a do or die tournament. Michigan St winning one more game than Indiana in the tournament didnt make them a better team this year. Regardless what JB said about best years ever...blah blah blah
As much as we all hate PITT, they were forced to play a extra game and had dead legs, cost them.

I believe BYU & Colorado have titles.

BYU won in 1984 (outside the BCS/CFBP 25 years but counted since FBS/FCS in 1978) and Colorado won a split in 1990. I was counting splits as halves.

Bingo. Extrapolating conference strength from one season is very dumb. But over 20+ seasons... far less dumb.

The B1G is a good conference. But it's not a championship conference. We know this because they don't win men's basketball championships.
They have had teams reach the finals. Since 03:
Illini 05
Ohio st 07
Mich st 09
Wisc 15
Mich 13 and 18

Wisc easily could have won, grayson allen took over that game as a frosh. Ilini team was awesome with Head, Dee Brown and D-Will. Ohio st lost against a loaded FL team that brought everyone back.

I dont love the B10 or care for them, but lets not act like they have crap teams. It is a very good basketball conference

Illini 05
Ohio st 07
Mich st 09
Wisc 15
Mich 13 and 18

Wisc easily could have won, grayson allen took over that game as a frosh. Ilini team was awesome with Head, Dee Brown and D-Will. Ohio st lost against a loaded FL team that brought everyone back.

I dont love the B10 or care for them, but lets not act like they have crap teams. It is a very good basketball conference

They have teams that get to the title game but they can't win one.

Since the NCAAT went to 64, and using schools future conferences (meaning UCLA in the B1G)...

Championship game appearances

22 - ACC
15 - B16
11 - Big East, SEC
8 - B12
3 - P10
2 - WCC
1 - AAC, MWC

Illini 05
Ohio st 07
Mich st 09
Wisc 15
Mich 13 and 18

I literally said they are a good conference. They just don’t win titles. It’s not a crime.

There can be President’s weekend 8 team tournaments. One school from each P6 conference plus 2 mid majors. Everyone plays 3 games in 3 days.

It is good prep for the conference and NCAA tournaments. NFL has just ended so you have a showcase weekend for CBBall. Conferences only need to leave one opening, so schedules aren’t impacted too much.
Now you've cut out a bunch of holiday tournaments (as much as I wouldn't mind the Emerald Coast Classic to go away). You're also taking away a (usually at home) OOC game because now they're playing 3 "Multi-Team Event" games instead of 2. Who's going to be the one to tell these tournaments they're gone? How do you decide which ones are gone? The blue bloods would rather play in these night of champions events than any other tournament. Who's going to tell Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, etc., "No, you've got to play Nebraska instead"?

Now you've cut out a bunch of holiday tournaments (as much as I wouldn't mind the Emerald Coast Classic to go away). You're also taking away a (usually at home) OOC game because now they're playing 3 "Multi-Team Event" games instead of 2. Who's going to be the one to tell these tournaments they're gone? How do you decide which ones are gone? The blue bloods would rather play in these night of champions events than any other tournament. Who's going to tell Duke, Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, etc., "No, you've got to play Nebraska instead"?

Not following a thing you just said.

What tournaments are in February and why would the November/December ones need to go away? You can do both.

Not following a thing you just said.

What tournaments are in February and why would the November/December ones need to go away? You can do both.
The November/December tournaments would have to go away because of the limit on the number of games that can be played. If you keep the Nov/Dec tournaments, then the schools have to give up 3 usually home OOC games to play in the tournaments that you're creating if they're going to keep the number of conference games they're playing now (20 for just about everybody). To have your tournament, they could give up 1 usually home OOC game and 2 conference games, not very palatable pro$pect to many team$ and conference$. How are you going to convince a blue blood that a game against Penn State, BC, Cal, Nebraska, or {fill in the name of another bottom-feeder here} will do more for their image, schedule strength, etc., than a game against another blue blood?

Last edited:
The November/December tournaments would have to go away because of the limit on the number of games that can be played. If you keep the Nov/Dec tournaments, then the schools have to give up 3 usually home OOC games to play in the tournaments that you're creating if they're going to keep the number of conference games they're playing now (20 for just about everybody). To have your tournament, they could give up 1 usually home OOC game and 2 conference games, not very palatable pro$pect to many team$ and conference$. How are you going to convince a blue blood that a game against Penn State, BC, Cal, Nebraska, or {fill in the name of another bottom-feeder here} will do more for their image, schedule strength, etc., than a game against another blue blood?

If we are talking one game, I think teams would be fine. Most schools don't make money on that one game. More likely these Feb games woudl replace the conference challenges.

Your 2nd argument is silly. Are the Blue Bloods forced to play the Nebraska's of the world in the November/December tournaments? No. So why would it happen in February?

If people are concerned about number of games then limit it to a 4 team, 2 game tournament. The P4 (ACC, B16, SEC, B12) are the hosts. Which puts the other conferences at a disadvantage. The host conference would own the TV rights so the networks would be happy.

Something like...

ACC Host NYC - ACC1, B162, SEC3, B124
B16 Host Chicago - ACC4, B161, SEC2, B123
SEC Host Atlanta - ACC3, B164, SEC1, B122
B12 Host Kansas City - ACC2, B163, SEC4, B121
ACC Host Charlotte - ACC5, B166, SEC7, B128
B16 Host Indianapolis - ACC8, B165, SEC6, B127
SEC Host Dallas - ACC7, B168, SEC5, B126
B12 Host Houston - ACC6, B167, SEC8, B125
ACC Host DC - ACC9, B1610, SEC11, B1212
B16 Host LA - ACC12, B169, SEC10, B1211
SEC Host New Orleans - ACC11, B1612, SEC9, B1210
B12 Host Orlando - ACC10, B1611, SEC12, B129
ACC Host Miami - ACC13, B1614, SEC15, non P4
B16 Host Detroit - ACC15, B1613, SEC14, B1616
SEC Host Nashville - ACC14, B1615, SEC13, SEC16

You would try to put a host team as a close school to the location. You would need one non P4 teams to round it out. In this case if it were in Miami you would want a Florida school.

If we are talking one game, I think teams would be fine. Most schools don't make money on that one game. More likely these Feb games woudl replace the conference challenges.

Your 2nd argument is silly. Are the Blue Bloods forced to play the Nebraska's of the world in the November/December tournaments? No. So why would it happen in February?

If people are concerned about number of games then limit it to a 4 team, 2 game tournament. The P4 (ACC, B16, SEC, B12) are the hosts. Which puts the other conferences at a disadvantage. The host conference would own the TV rights so the networks would be happy.

Something like...

ACC Host NYC - ACC1, B162, SEC3, B124
B16 Host Chicago - ACC4, B161, SEC2, B123
SEC Host Atlanta - ACC3, B164, SEC1, B122
B12 Host Kansas City - ACC2, B163, SEC4, B121
ACC Host Charlotte - ACC5, B166, SEC7, B128
B16 Host Indianapolis - ACC8, B165, SEC6, B127
SEC Host Dallas - ACC7, B168, SEC5, B126
B12 Host Houston - ACC6, B167, SEC8, B125
ACC Host DC - ACC9, B1610, SEC11, B1212
B16 Host LA - ACC12, B169, SEC10, B1211
SEC Host New Orleans - ACC11, B1612, SEC9, B1210
B12 Host Orlando - ACC10, B1611, SEC12, B129
ACC Host Miami - ACC13, B1614, SEC15, non P4
B16 Host Detroit - ACC15, B1613, SEC14, B1616
SEC Host Nashville - ACC14, B1615, SEC13, SEC16

You would try to put a host team as a close school to the location. You would need one non P4 teams to round it out. In this case if it were in Miami you would want a Florida school.
We're talking 3 games, 1 OOC and 2 conference games if the early season tournaments are kept. And the people who are concerned about the number of games is the NCAA which sets the limit.

The driving force in this is money. The fans' perspectives are not anywhere near is important.

We're talking 3 games, 1 OOC and 2 conference games if the early season tournaments are kept. And the people who are concerned about the number of games is the NCAA which sets the limit.

The driving force in this is money. The fans' perspectives are not anywhere near is important.

Isn't the rule those count as ONE game to the NCAA? When we go to Maui we do not get dinged for 4 games.

There is more money to be made in these intersectional games than some random OOC game. And there is no need to reduce ACC games. You are making up a non factor.

Additionally we can reduce it to 2 games (as i did in my last post) and these games will basically replace the December conference challenge game. There is your OOC replacement.

Illini 05
Ohio st 07
Mich st 09
Wisc 15
Mich 13 and 18

I thought Wisconsin got hosed. That was as one sided officiated title game you'll ever see.

Isn't the rule those count as ONE game to the NCAA? When we go to Maui we do not get dinged for 4 games.

There is more money to be made in these intersectional games than some random OOC game. And there is no need to reduce ACC games. You are making up a non factor.

Additionally we can reduce it to 2 games (as i did in my last post) and these games will basically replace the December conference challenge game. There is your OOC replacement.
No. Conference tournaments only count as one game regardless of how many you play. Those early season tournaments count as 2 or 3 depending on how many teams are in them.

No. Conference tournaments only count as one game regardless of how many you play. Those early season tournaments count as 2 or 3 depending on how many teams are in them.

So why come there are teams that play more games in a season that others?

So why come there are teams that play more games in a season that others?
Per the NCAA site, some MTEs count as one game, so you get 28 plus that one. The most anyone ever played was 41 because of how deep they went in the NCAAs and how big their conference tournaments were.

Per the NCAA site, some MTEs count as one game, so you get 28 plus that one. The most anyone ever played was 41 because of how deep they went in the NCAAs and how big their conference tournaments were.
So how do teams play 31 games prior to the conference tournaments?

A 2 or 3 game Feb tournament would need to qualify. The NCAA is going to tell the P4 No?

A 2 or 3 game Feb tournament would need to qualify. The NCAA is going to tell the P4 No?
Sure. The "NCAA" doesn't tell anybody anything; the member schools do. There are over 300 teams playing D-1 basketball and each gets 1 vote. The P-4 is vastly outvoted.

I prefer just dropping 2 of your regular December "cupcakes" for a couple of P6 mid-February OOC games. Everyone would lose 1 home game. I think the trade-off would be worth it.

I've had this avatar for quite awhile.

And yes, it's a color-blind test. If you see a green dot your eyes are in perfect condition.
Okay I quite literally laughed out loud.

Now should I tell my optometrist I that I am this problem at my next visit?

Okay I quite literally laughed out loud.

Now should I tell my optometrist I that I am this problem at my next visit?
You could. I have a sneaky suspicion everything will be OK.

;)

31 bids the last two years 0 Final Fours.

ACC 10 Bids, 3 FFs

He’s been on this for weeks now.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors