Marone's legacy | Syracusefan.com

Marone's legacy

sufan

Scout Team
Marone's legacy:

1) interpretation of "dream job":

although I had thought DM would have wanted to stay and build on the success and momentum he established, and was disappointed when it was revealed he was interviewing for an NFL position, I now believe that he was actually totally sincere in saying being head coach at SU was his dream job; however, that didn't mean, as many believed that he wanted to be at SU forever.

He wanted to restore the program that meant so much to him on a personal and professional level and also felt if he was successful, that would lead to other positive opportunities.

2) bringing in Shafer and Hackett and other talented and experienced coaches:

My biggest concern was the possibility he would take key staff with him, putting in jeoparty all the hard work and accomplishments of the last 4 years, including re-establishing recruiting ties, knowledge of the new offense and defense strategies and continuity of leadership to build on the last 4 years.

Assuming it is true that Hackett will remain as OC and with the appointment of Shafer as head coach, then DM deserves even greater credit and thanks from SU, by leaving intact the coaching team he assembled to allow SU to move forward.

3) re-establishing a winning culture with a focus on not just football but on character and selling recruits on SU as a great place to experience college: which is what makes SU different from some of the football factories in a good way.

These views are from the distant bleachers.

Marrone has left. I wish him well and thank him for the progress he made here which was significant.

With that out of the way...

1) I don't think he finished the job. He didn't really get SU back to where we expected (e.g. 90s type competitor) or where he eluded. I don't think he would ever have said, "My goal is to get SU to a minor bowl!"

2) Agree...he did a great job hiring staff

3) I think SU is part way there... maybe 40%. Still a ways to go and I hope the new coach can get us there.

Defining a legacy, short of someone like Michael Jordan or Elvis Presley, is something that will take time. We need to see how solid a foundation Doug has built before truly assessing his permanent place in SU history.

Marone's legacy:

1) interpretation of "dream job":

although I had thought DM would have wanted to stay and build on the success and momentum he established, and was disappointed when it was revealed he was interviewing for an NFL position, I now believe that he was actually totally sincere in saying being head coach at SU was his dream job; however, that didn't mean, as many believed that he wanted to be at SU forever.

He wanted to restore the program that meant so much to him on a personal and professional level and also felt if he was successful, that would lead to other positive opportunities.

2) bringing in Shafer and Hackett and other talented and experienced coaches:

My biggest concern was the possibility he would take key staff with him, putting in jeoparty all the hard work and accomplishments of the last 4 years, including re-establishing recruiting ties, knowledge of the new offense and defense strategies and continuity of leadership to build on the last 4 years.

Assuming it is true that Hackett will remain as OC and with the appointment of Shafer as head coach, then DM deserves even greater credit and thanks from SU, by leaving intact the coaching team he assembled to allow SU to move forward.

3) re-establishing a winning culture with a focus on not just football but on character and selling recruits on SU as a great place to experience college: which is what makes SU different from some of the football factories in a good way.

These views are from the distant bleachers.

He revived a program that was dead. Worst in BCS, sub 100 in D-1. This was a total gut and rebuild. Finished this year in the top 40, if not better.

What he managed to do in four years is remarkable.

He revived a program that was dead. Worst in BCS, sub 100 in D-1. This was a total gut and rebuild. Finished this year in the top 40, if not better.

What he managed to do in four years is remarkable.

Agree, his legacy should be turning this around, putting it on a path forward. Sucks that he's gone, but that's life. Welcome to the insane world of successful football coaches.

We just won 8 games. We just had the best offense we've ever had. We just won a bowl game. By a lot. Over a team we hate. And now we're in the ACC. We open with a winnable game against Penn State next year. Shafer can be an instant hero. Life is still good.

Agree, his legacy should be turning this around, putting it on a path forward. Sucks that he's gone, but that's life. Welcome to the insane world of successful football coaches.

We just won 8 games. We just had the best offense we've ever had. We just won a bowl game. By a lot. Over a team we hate. And now we're in the ACC. We open with a winnable game against Penn State next year. Shafer can be an instant hero. Life is still good.

Good summation.

I think it simply is the case that he, for some reason, lost desire and enthusiasm to coach at college level and realized that he needs to move on eventually. His comment of “take himself out if he doesn’t think he can get it done” may reflect this feeling. Did he plan to move to NFL this off season, probably not. But when opportunities coming he just could not pass when he realized that is where he truly want to be, at least for now.

Based on SU’s statement on his leave and Gross’s comments during his yesterday interview, clearly there is no much bad feeling between Doug and SU. He probably realized that it is at least a couple of years too early for him to leave now and did not feel comfortable for thate. At the same time, I don’t see any way he wants to hurtSyracusefootball. In the contrast, he probably worked closely with SU to minimize the impact.

It is my opinion that the Bills get the right guy and he made a right move because that is where his heart is. He worked very hard inSyracuseto turn the program around. Is he perfect in the hill, probably not. But I will always thank him for hard work he gave to the university.

His "legacy" will be that he canceled out GRob's time here. 4 years out of the 125 years of football at SU is too short for a meaningful legacy, imo, regardless of the good he did in that short time frame.

I wish him well and thank him for his efforts here, but really, to me, a "legacy" requires a little more than an unfinished rebuilding job.

A totally from the hip speculative opinion to follow...

I know football coaches hardly ever appear to be the happiest people in the world, but when I contrast the public Doug with the public Coach Mac I see a guy (Doug) who didn't seem to enjoy his job.

Coach Mac seemed to like being a college coach. I never felt that Doug was enjoying his job. I'm not sure he's going to be any happier as a head coach in the NFL? He seems like a good head coach, but he might not have the whatever it takes to like what he's doing. It almost seems to be an exercise in self torture with him.

I guess people do succeed not really liking what they do, and I'm sure if you asked Doug he'd say he loves what he does.

But I wonder.

He hosed off the stink of futility that clung to the program, and got us standing upright again.

doug marrone was just the airbag that went off and prevented our heads from slamming the dash too hard after the greg robinson head on total disastercastrophe. pulled us out of the ditch and then just automatically dialed Onstar and leaves the scene. meanwhile we still sit on the shoulder and wait for the next tow truck. we're still drivable but needing some major repairs to compete.

I actually agree with much of this article

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/41326/marrone-leaves-at-critical-time-for-syracuse[/quote]

-----------------------------

1) from article:

"He reiterated that during his introductory news conference Monday in Buffalo, saying, "I had said that Syracuse was my dream job, and I meant that when I said it. Having the opportunity to restore the great tradition of Syracuse football made my dream a reality. Today, I’m experiencing another dream come true."

2) The author is correct: "the rebuilding job is far from complete";

However, by assembling the current staff, and leaving them in place, with Shafer as Head coach and Hackett as OC, SU has the leadership to build on the work and success of the last 4 years.

And this is where DM has left his legacy.

doug marrone was just the airbag that went off and prevented our heads from slamming the dash too hard after the greg robinson head on total disastercastrophe. pulled us out of the ditch and then just automatically dialed Onstar and leaves the scene. meanwhile we still sit on the shoulder and wait for the next tow truck. we're still drivable but needing some major repairs to compete.
Keeping with the car analogy, I would say GRob drove backwards over the tire spikes at the parking lot and Marrone put on space-saver spares so we could safely drive up to 35 mph to the nearest tire center and get full-sized replacements.

Marrone's legacy is ultimately dependent on how SU does under Shafer.

Is Shafer succeeds, Marrone's legacy will be positive - that he brought the program up from ashes and paved the way.

If Shafer fails, Marrone's legacy will be negative - that he left the program long before he finished the job.

Keeping with the car analogy, I would say GRob drove backwards over the tire spikes at the parking lot and Marrone put on space-saver spares so we could safely drive up to 35 mph to the nearest tire center and get full-sized replacements.

Nonsense.

Four years does not a legacy make. Marrone will be "remembered" for getting us out of the Robinson mess and setting up Shafer to win long-term. SUball

I feel the same way about Doug's legacy as a coach as I do about Chandler Jones' legacy as a player:
"We know you're good. We've seen evidence of that. But, you didn't stay long enough to have that really memorable place among the greats. Good luck representing us in the NFL."

Edit: However, Doug did change the direction of the program, and for that we should be very grateful.

Is Shafer succeeds, Marrone's legacy will be positive - that he brought the program up from ashes and paved the way.

If Shafer fails, Marrone's legacy will be negative - that he left the program long before he finished the job.

That's it right there. Totally agree.

I think that there is a lot of validity to your post, ON. I pretty much feel the same way.

took a bad program and made it average. positive trend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom