Marrone out | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

Doug Marrone was in Chicago in 2016 at the NCAA Tournament rooting for the basketball team on the Friday night when they played Gonzaga. He was the guest of the AD so I guess he is good with the new ADs post Gross. That was Coyle but my guess is fine with Wildhack as well.

He has been working in the NFL so he hasn’t been to Dome as he hasn’t had a chance.

When we went to the Orlando bowl in 2018 he sent Dino and the team a gift for their 9-3 season.

The dude isn’t evil. He left because he got sold a bill of goods and Dr. Gross couldn’t deliver because the Athletic department was being audited in 2012 and the athletic director had his purse strings taken from him.
When Marrone left Gross couldn’t spend money with authorization from the Chancellor.

Gross was in the process of losing his job and Marrone was promised an IPF(indoor practice facility) and a bigger budget for coaches/recruiting/social media employee.

Gross didn’t deliever. Gross was told by Marrone’s agent Jimmy s e xton in December 2012 that Marrone would take interest calls from NFL teams. Marrone finished the bowl game. Got interest from 2 NFL teams and took the Bills job.

Gross knew it was possible. He wasn’t caught off guard. Marrone left.

Everything post Marrone is because of Gross not Marrone.

When we lost Brandon Coleman to Rutgers I was told broke Marrone
with Syracuse recruiting ability.

You don’t have to like the guy but he wasn’t what you said.

Bunch of stuff in there I had not heard in such detail before. Thanks for the post.

Why would you think that? His last season in Buffalo was their first winning season in nine years, and they didn’t have another one for another couple of years after that.

this is the first time he’s been let go in his career

you want to crap on somebody for no good reason at least get your facts straight
Lol. I’m not crapping on him. And yeah, I should have checked. I’d remembered it being a tumultuous ending in Buffalo. He quit when new ownership came in and riled up the players on his way out.

Someone said he was a 100% better HC than Dino. Not sure I agree. That’s all.

One thing is 100% sure. With Marrone getting the o-line job at Bama, he is going to be at the very nexus of the recruiting network for offensive lineman, the most sought after and hard to come by position in college football.

Lol. I’m not crapping on him. And yeah, I should have checked. I’d remembered it being a tumultuous ending in Buffalo. He quit when new ownership came in and riled up the players on his way out.

Someone said he was a 100% better HC than Dino. Not sure I agree. That’s all.
I'm no mathematician but he did win two bowl games in four years after inheriting a program that was in the toilet.

And, he did it without the resources that Dino has been provided.

I was crushed when Doug Marrone left. I thought he was going to be a legacy coach at Syracuse University.

And, I still think he made a mistake in leaving.

I'm no mathematician but he did win two bowl games in four years after inheriting a program that was in the toilet.

I was crushed when Doug Marrone left. I thought he was going to be a legacy coach at Syracuse University.

How was he supposed to stay when his manager was sabotaging his efforts? Would you stay at a job if your direct manager was actively working to undermine you?

Qdawgg, please. It's just conversation, not war.
In his own words, Doug was frustrated with recruiting kids who didn't appreciate the value of an SU offer. Now he won't have to face that obstacle, since everyone recruited by Alabama is honored to be in their sights.

I’m sorry, my apologies. I should have left the 2nd part out and I’m not saying that in a sarcastic way.

I'm at least enjoying this more than I would another thread on if P should have been fired or not

We've had 29 head coaches in our history. So many get left out of these and it's not fair.

Can we hear more about the Chick Meehan era? Dude had a .787 winning % over 5 years! Or Jordan Wells, who never even won a game!

Had a crazy thought. Saban is going to coach 1 more year, turns 70, nothing more to prove, and Marrone will be his replacement.

If that happens the Finebaum show will be appointment TV the next day.

Bunch of stuff in there I had not heard in such detail before. Thanks for the post.
great post many of us always said he left for those reasons. i am glad you confirmed it

One thing is 100% sure. With Marrone getting the o-line job at Bama, he is going to be at the very nexus of the recruiting network for offensive lineman, the most sought after and hard to come by position in college football.

I suspect that Doug will enjoy recruiting to Alabama a lot more than he did on the Hill.

If Marrone was still head coach at syracuse he would be one of the longest serving coaches in the FBS. Saban is at Alabama and he started 2 years before Doug did at SU.

He would be making a lot of money - he would be having success - he would be living a stable life - he would be the toast of Central NY.

I believed it then, and I believe it now.

Coach Marrone made a mistake leaving Syracuse University in 2012.

and he would be 20 million poorer too.

Perhaps. But, I suspect that in the long term, his financial position would be better, more stable, and from the standpoints of quality of life and professional standing - prestige in the industry - I believe he would be in a better position today had he stayed.

Perhaps. But, I suspect that in the long term, his financial position would be better, more stable, and from the standpoints of quality of life and professional standing - prestige in the industry - I believe he would be in a better position today had he stayed.
Eh.

The dude's got the scratch to cover his lifetime desires for bologna, Dove bars and Gatorade either way.

It is so unlikely for a coach to stay with any program these days. Most don’t even complete first contract

Getting to bowls is a function of good coaching, talent and unless you’re a really good program - a favorable schedule.

His second year’s strength of schedule was so weak anyone outside of Gerg could have got us to a bowl game. It’s an accomplishment, I enjoyed the win over KState very much - but if we played that type schedule every year we’d be bowling every year.

Again, I’m not saying he is a bad coach. He’s a mediocre coach. The middle level. That’s an accomplishment worth something. There are a lot of coaches who can’t touch Doug. That’s good.

We just got to take saint doug down a slot or two and evaluate with fair eyes

Getting to bowls is a function of good coaching, talent and unless you’re a really good program - a favorable schedule.

His second year’s strength of schedule was so weak anyone outside of Gerg could have got us to a bowl game. It’s an accomplishment, I enjoyed the win over KState very much - but if we played that type schedule every year we’d be bowling every year.

Again, I’m not saying he is a bad coach. He’s a mediocre coach. The middle level. That’s an accomplishment worth something. There are a lot of coaches who can’t touch Doug. That’s good.

We won 1 game this year, even with a weaker SOS we were a terrible team. Based on the up and down performance since DB has been here there’s no guarantee we’d be bowling every year even with Marrone’s schedule.

Let’s not paint with such a broad stroke. Nobody has put Doug on a pedestal. It’s weird you preach context of different seasons DB has been the coach but throw that argument out when discussing Marrone. :confused:

I just disagree with you on pretty much all counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom