Marrone to BC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone to BC

I don’t see FB and DM being a great personality fit for one another. DM would be valuable but we will be ok without him.

His ability to coach the oline here was a big part of his success. Coincidentally, Alabama fans don’t have any love for DM because they think their offensive line was terrible under him

I'm curious why you don't see them as being a great personality fit for one another?

i disagree. i think there's no scenario where a life raft is sent out for Syracuse and not Pitt and/or BC. We're going to end up somewhere together at the end of this nonsense. My position is we want all 3 schools doing fantastic. Whether it means we lose a few to Pitt and/or BC on any given year so be it.

The northeast schools need to present themselves as a region of teams that need to be involved in college football longterm.
There is no way all three end up in the B18 and I doubt the SEC wants all three. IMO at best there will be one team making the B18. We have the better overall brand and bigger fanbase.

The funny part will be when Fox and ESPN tell the Big 12 they have bad news near renewal time and shave off $15 - $20million per team per year cuz they need the extra funds for the SEC and B10 renewals and uplifts. All the Big 12 fanboys and youtubers will be like "Wait wut?" The new B12 conference will have new ads..."The Big 12 being brought to you by Jim Bob's Crawfish Shack! All the crawfish you can catch and eat"!!! The Big 12 will fall before the ACC but both will be gone at some point.

I don’t see FB and DM being a great personality fit for one another. DM would be valuable but we will be ok without him.

His ability to coach the oline here was a big part of his success. Coincidentally, Alabama fans don’t have any love for DM because they think their offensive line was terrible under him
He has a non recruiting job at a school known as O lineman U.

I think OBrien and this staff would have been great for BC prior to the NIL era.

He has a non recruiting job at a school known as O lineman U.

I think OBrien and this staff would have been great for BC prior to the NIL era.
Was known as O lineman U...

A good coach. Nothing more. Recruit a D-1 qb in 4 years.
Marrone inherited a dead program - one that had had only ten wins in four years.

Ten wins in four years.

Within two years he had an eight win season and a bowl win.

In his fourth season and final season he had another eight win season with a smashing bowl win over a traditional rival - a season that gave us a really fun offense to watch.

2012 was as exiting a fall as most of us can remember.

He did a great job.

Marrone inherited a dead program - one that had had only ten wins in four years.

Ten wins in four years.

Within two years he had an eight win season and a bowl win.

In his fourth season and final season he had another eight win season with a smashing bowl win over a traditional rival - a season that gave us a really fun offense to watch.

2012 was as exiting a fall as most of us can remember.

He did a great
He was 25 -25. And while the guy before him was a terrible coach, he wasn't a terrible recruiter. He left him with a very good qb. The 25-25 record was done in a very weak Big East. He did a good job. Certainly nothing more than that. You can laud him all you like. That is okay. Some people forget that mid way through his last year here, people wanted him fired. The team won some games, got a bowl game and that is the lasting memory. 4 years. He didn't recruit a player that could play at the most important position on the field.

He was 25 -25. And while the guy before him was a terrible coach, he wasn't a terrible recruiter. He left him with a very good qb. The 25-25 record was done in a very weak Big East. He did a good job. Certainly nothing more than that. You can laud him all you like. That is okay. Some people forget that mid way through his last year here, people wanted him fired. The team won some games, got a bowl game and that is the lasting memory. 4 years. He didn't recruit a player that could play at the most important position on the field.
He recruited Hunt who won a bowl game against a B1G team and would have gone to more if not for the injuries.

This is crazy revisionist history.

We were terrible in a weak big east too. Marrone turned things around and we were in every single game he coached. We were once again a team that was competing.

To throw the record at him is insane because of the lift he had in year 1 alone. I don't think he was the right coach for the program now but to say he didn't do a great job is preposterous.

Your assessment of Robinson as a recruiter is not accurate. His record confirms his ineffectiveness in all aspects of running a college program.

Perhaps the best indication of Robinson's inability to effectively recruit is the fact that in his first year, Marrone was forced to use a basketball player, who had not played the position for four years, as his starting QB.

Nassib was not a "very good QB" when Doug Marrone arrived on the Hill. He was mediocre at best.

Marrone developed him and created an offense that allowed him to be remarkably productive.

The "some people" who "wanted him fired" - whoever they were - obviously were wrong.

Off the top of my head, I recall that Marrone beat K-State, Missouri, West Virginia and probably others - none of whom was in the Big East.

Sorry, but your observations are simply not supported by the facts.

By any measure, Marrone was a great head coach at Syracuse University.

You take care.

Your assessment of Robinson as a recruiter is not accurate. His record confirms his ineffectiveness in all aspects of running a college program.

Perhaps the best indication of Robinson's inability to effectively recruit is the fact that in his first year, Marrone was forced to use a basketball player, who had not played the position for four years, as his starting QB.

Nassib was not a "very good QB" when Doug Marrone arrived on the Hill. He was mediocre at best.

Marrone developed him and created an offense that allowed him to be remarkably productive.

The "some people" who "wanted him fired" - whoever they were - obviously were wrong.

Off the top of my head, I recall that Marrone beat K-State, Missouri, West Virginia and probably others - none of whom was in the Big East.

Sorry, but your observations are simply not supported by the facts.

By any measure, Marrone was a great head coach at Syracuse University.

You take care.
You take care as well. I like you. But once again, we have a disagreement on what is great. One might make the argument that we would have been better off with that mediocre qb in year 1 instead of the basketball player. There were many other players on the team that he inherited that were fine college football players. The linebacker corp was very good. Doug was a good coach. That's it. Doug is a football coach. I have not seen one school make him an offer to coach their school. And since he is willing to take an ass'ts job. I find it hard to believe that is only he turning offers down. If he was indeed a great coach, someone would make him an offer he couldnt' refuse. Be well.

Last edited:
This is crazy revisionist history.

We were terrible in a weak big east too. Marrone turned things around and we were in every single game he coached. We were once again a team that was competing.

To throw the record at him is insane because of the lift he had in year 1 alone. I don't think he was the right coach for the program now but to say he didn't do a great job is preposterous.
LOL Preposterous? LOL You are comparing him with the worst coach in D-1. Anyone would have looked better taking over for G-rob.

Budding rivalry. The “get off my lawn” crowd against the up and comers?
I'd like to see DM turn his back on his alma mater and make a full heel turn. Juice up this supposed rivalry as much as possible. While SU wins the vast majoritory of the games, of course.

Might even be able to pull in some Bills fans/SU casuals who still hold a grudge.

You take care as well. I like you. But once again, we have a disagreement on what is great. One might make the argument that we would have been better off with that mediocre qb in year 1 instead of the basketball player. There were many other players on the team that he inherited that were fine college football players. The linebacker corp was very good. Doug was a good coach. That's it. Doug is a football coach. I have not seen one school make him an offer to coach their school. And since he is willing to take an ass'ts job. I find it hard to believe that is only he turning offers down. If he was indeed a great coach, someone would make him an offer he couldnt' refuse. Be well.

Ugh. Nassib was not ready to play in 2009.

Marrone was hired as an NFL HC by two different teams.

He was a great HC at Syracuse University.

Great.

It's a shame he chose to leave.

I'd like to see DM turn his back on his alma mater and make a full heel turn. Juice up this supposed rivalry as much as possible. While SU wins the vast majoritory of the games, of course.

Might even be able to pull in some Bills fans/SU casuals who still hold a grudge.

It would be a special sorta someone that would carry a grudge over him :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom