Marrone v Rahme | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone v Rahme

When you make an intelligent post I will be impressed...though I am not going to hold my breath on that one. :blah:

When you make an intelligent post I will be impressed...though I am not going to hold my breath on that one. :blah:

Who is this directed at exactly? And if its directed at me, can you clue me in to whats unintelligent about it?

Told not to ask about injuries and that's the first question. That's just being arrogant , a trait Reports from The Sub Standard live by. Arrogant, Post Standard Reporter can you say oxy moron ?

Just watching the Presser, Marrone started it off just looking around-Almost like he was daring someone to ask him an injury question.

Told not to ask about injuries and that's the first question. That's just being arrogant , a trait Reports from The Sub Standard live by. Arrogant, Post Standard Reporter can you say oxy moron ?

Did you watch the presser? That wasn't the 1st question.

Just watching the Presser, Marrone started it off just looking around-Almost like he was daring someone to ask him an injury question.

Agreed -- like Chip says, usually he leads with an opening statement. Today, just a look around. I'm not sure what the point of the press conference was quite honestly. If he wants to go dark, go completely dark.

Hey Gocuse, does Rahme work for Marrone or his readers?? I've said it before but Marrone doesn't want to make enemies with the paper. They don't have to write that there are good seats available. They don't have to give much coverage. Just say the Head coach won't cooperate, we'll write about someone that will. I like marrone as a coach, a lot. The way he handles the media, is a joke. Coach Mac knew how to do it. Marrone doesn't. Asking about injuries is the reporters job. He just doesn't have to answer the question.

In reality both the university athletics program and the paper need each other. Sports sells papers, and it turn provides the coverage and exposure that the football team needs to (maybe) get attendance turned around. Being a reporter means that they're going to have to ask questions that the coaches don't always like, otherwise all the articles are going to be cotton-candy rah-rah bull sheet that I won't waste my time on. Marrone's been a head coach for a whopping 2 1/2 years, one area he needs to work on his his handling of the media. JB can act like a bastard and get away with it because he's got a top 5 program and is pulling 30K in for big games...Marrone's going to have to approach the media differently. Hopefully he goes to Coach Mac for advice and politely listens to JB but declines to implement JBs suggestions.

I am confused how him closing the practices to the media and not disclosing injury information to Rahme shows that he is concerned and upset about the Rutgers game. He is preparing for the biggest game of the year and does not want to give Schiano one bit of information. I completely understand what Marrone is doing. He is trying to win a Big East Championship.

Rahme should call Schiano and ask him the same question. I bet he gets the same response.

Enough about the media. Lets talk some football and get fired up for the Rutgers game !!!!

Actually Schiano did discuss the status of a few injured players in his presser. Each coach does it differently.

Biggest game of the year so far because its the first Big East Game! Marrone knows the team needs to focus on our conference games and the last two weeks have been full of distractions. I hope he is able to get the kids to focus and come out ready to play Saturday. I have enjoyed my time in the Dome this year and I am looking forward to Saturday.

Actually Schiano did discuss the status of a few injured players in his presser. Each coach does it differently.

And Schiano actually questioned why Marrone went dark this week in a statement I read in some article. Was interesting to see him even mention it.

Why was there a presser tonight? Is there a link to it?

There was a presser tonight (and tomorrow) because Marrone decided to not make any student athletes available to the media for the week (which is the normal procedure). He said he would be available in lieu of that.

www.suathletics.com

He is preparing for the biggest game of the year and does not want to give Schiano one bit of information. I completely understand what Marrone is doing.

Biggest game of the year is a home game against the team picked to finish last in the league?

What's going to happen if USF is still undefeated when we play them and Rahme mentions injuries? Will Marrone throw a trident at him?

There was a presser tonight (and tomorrow) because Marrone decided to not make any student athletes available to the media for the week (which is the normal procedure). He said he would be available in lieu of that.

www.suathletics.com

Thanks, forgot about that.

wow, im two minutes into watching this thing, and you can cut the tension with a chainsaw. I've seen Marrone at times look very combative during his pressers, but this was almost as if he was ready to fight somebody. Cuseman you are aboslutely right that I hope this is not the trend for the rest of the year. Could you imagine if Marrone was the head coach of a major D1 school like USC or maybe an NFL team, im not sure how his demeanor would be categorized in the media...

LOL - awkward! Marrone probably should have just declined the PC and told them he'd meet them tomorrow. There just wasn't anything to talk about and Marrone was freakin' miserable.

Oh boy, this doesnt bode well at all. To me the injury situation is really starting to get Marrone I wonder if someone else is banged up that we dont know about, a major player ie Nassib or one of the WR. Not good.

I think there are one of two reasons why Marrone is doing this...

1. Reason one (optimistic) is week to week Marrone knows exactly what to say and do to get his kids 'heads right.' I think Marrone has kinda mastered defelcting certain topics and making a focus each week on what will be the keys to be successful. ie. Hydration for USC and winning Noon games on Saturdays (toledo)

2. Reason two (pessimistic) is that practice was god awful today, and our numbers are terribly depleted. He knows how big these Rutgers games are with NY.NJ perception and recruiting, and has this game circled on his schedule.

Hopefully Marrone being wound tighter than a Neil Peart snare drum won't rub off on his team.

wow, im two minutes into watching this thing, and you can cut the tension with a chainsaw. I've seen Marrone at times look very combative during his pressers, but this was almost as if he was ready to fight somebody. Cuseman you are aboslutely right that I hope this is not the trend for the rest of the year. Could you imagine if Marrone was the head coach of a major D1 school like USC or maybe an NFL team, im not sure how his demeanor would be categorized in the media...

Haha. Think you meant cut tension with a spoon? You can cut anything with a chainsaw...

I seem to recall Rahme writing a piece on establishing the running game vs Toledo that clearly involved access to Hackett and the SU coaching staff. In other words, the type of access Marrone did not need to provide if Dave were persona non grata.

I'd like to write this off as Marrone just having a very bad day. Not knowing what happened with Donnie Webb -- and yes, that might be significant to know -- otherwise Marrone does not seem to be the worst coach I've ever seen with media relations. In fact, seems pretty good at times.

One thing for sure is that Dave Rahme is a damned fine beat reporter and did nothing wrong here. You don't let a coach dictate what questions you get to ask in a press conference -- it simply doesn't work that way. Marrone knows that and, again, maybe is just having a rough week.

Hope this turns out to be much ado about nothing. Marrone badly needs good press relations. And we are all worse off without the incisive pieces Rahme has been able to provide the past few years.

I seem to recall Rahme writing a piece on establishing the running game vs Toledo that clearly involved access to Hackett and the SU coaching staff. In other words, the type of access Marrone did not need to provide if Dave were persona non grata.

I'd like to write this off as Marrone just having a very bad day. Not knowing what happened with Donnie Webb -- and yes, that might be significant to know -- otherwise Marrone does not seem to be the worst coach I've ever seen with media relations. In fact, seems pretty good at times.

One thing for sure is that Dave Rahme is a damned fine beat reporter and did nothing wrong here. You don't let a coach dictate what questions you get to ask in a press conference -- it simply doesn't work that way. Marrone knows that and, again, maybe is just having a rough week.

Hope this turns out to be much ado about nothing. Marrone badly needs good press relations. And we are all worse off without the incisive pieces Rahme has been able to provide the past few years.

You are right about the Toledo post-game article yesterday with access to Hackett. But it was the first of its kind this year (that I can recall) and it seemed that last year they involved after game quotes from Marrone directly. But I hope you're right and that it was simply just a cranky head football coach not wanting to deal with a presser.

After watching the presser, it's pretty clear that Marrone was in a foul mood for whatever reason. He says, "A couple guys weren't able to practice that we thought could." The mounting injuries have to be frustrating for him at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom