Marrone v Rahme | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone v Rahme

Marrone is obviously very tense. My guess, although the team is 3-1, he knows his team hasn't really put it altogether yet. His secondary, which has been shredded for the first four games, will face yet another threat in Sanu. That would make me tense.

Rutgers might not be the most important game on the schedule, but have serious implications in terms of recruiting, etc. Marrone simply does not want to lose to Rutgers. Period.

Rutgers is still killing us in recruiting. He needs to close that gap. A loss might hinder that effort.

Hit the nail on the head Avatusstone28. Marrone's dislike of Shciano + Major reqruiting implications + Injury plagued team = one heck of a stressed out coach this week.

I hate to say it, but it seemed last year that Marrone's mood turned dark right as we were about to hit that 1-3 finish. Hope his demeanor this week isn't indicative of a similar slide.

Another testy Marrone in tonights presser. Him and Rahme got into a little back and forth at the beginning of the presser. He is holding things REALLY closely to the vest, thats for sure.
i imagine he is sick of answering the same BS questions every week. in addition, he has no obligation to comment on injuries, honestly i prefer he doesn't. it's rutgers, which is obviously a team he wants to beat. a football coach acting testy, there is a ing news flash.

This is college football, and as far as I'm concerned HCDM can go dark if he wants to as long as he has the student/athletes best interests at heart. And that's the big difference here because the media is not in the business of looking out for these kids.

All in all HCDM has done a great job with the media and no writer has benefited more than Rahme. I have no idea if the tension in the the presser was personal to Rahme and even if it was I'm sure it's something that can be worked out.

But if I were the head coach of SU football I would be upset with Rahme after his pre-game analysis for Toledo when he wrote that if SU loses to Toledo "its season could begin to slip away". HCDM probably didn't even read it. But in my mind that statement was vague, premature and absurdly negative, and it unnecessarily played right into the status quo where SU fans stay at home. HCDM and his staff work their tails off, and they are the ones who go into kid's homes and ask them to play in the dome. If the writer with the most access wants to promote doom and gloom when the team is 2-1 in September and going into a home game against a good Toledo team, then I have no problem with a little tension between the coach and the writer. But hey, I grew up in Indiana watching Bob Knight belittle the media pretty much every day. What happened today is nothing compared to that.

This is college football, and as far as I'm concerned HCDM can go dark if he wants to as long as he has the student/athletes best interests at heart. And that's the big difference here because the media is not in the business of looking out for these kids.

All in all HCDM has done a great job with the media and no writer has benefited more than Rahme. I have no idea if the tension in the the presser was personal to Rahme and even if it was I'm sure it's something that can be worked out.

But if I were the head coach of SU football I would be upset with Rahme after his pre-game analysis for Toledo when he wrote that if SU loses to Toledo "its season could begin to slip away". HCDM probably didn't even read it. But in my mind that statement was vague, premature and absurdly negative, and it unnecessarily played right into the status quo where SU fans stay at home. HCDM and his staff work their tails off, and they are the ones who go into kid's homes and ask them to play in the dome. If the writer with the most access wants to promote doom and gloom when the team is 2-1 in September and going into a home game against a good Toledo team, then I have no problem with a little tension between the coach and the writer. But hey, I grew up in Indiana watching Bob Knight belittle the media pretty much every day. What happened today is nothing compared to that.

Don't remember the line but will accept that this is what Rahme wrote. No problem with that whatsoever. They're 2-2 at that point and if you look at the back half of the schedule..."begin to slip away" does not seem too harsh if the goal is to get to a bowl game. Again, it's Rahme's job to cover the team, not to get fans into the stadium. (Agree, by the way, that Toledo is a good team.)
It was Rahme who came on this site and said a big reason Doug can't reel in the big recruits is the lack of butts in the seats. He seems to understand that well. It's just not his job to soften critiques to make that happen.
It's important to look at context. Is Rahme a chronic pessimist? Is he a basher, a bear? Or is he fair-minded and if anything someone who has seemed to be pro-Marrone? And a writer with a real appreciation of college football and an ability to describe the nuances more skillfully than the average D1 beat writer?
Someone's been struggling with his job this week. But it's not Rahme.

If in fact we remember HCDM's speech at the Dome when he said "it's our team and it's our town", asking not to ask about injuries would seem like a small thing not to do. I understand the reporter has a job to do, but of all the questions he could of asked...really??? I really have no way of knowing, but I wonder if one of the coaches' from a team down south had asked not to be questioned, I doubt the question would be asked. Every advantage is afforded the home team down south, maybe HCDM was a bit amped up, but can you really blame him? Obviously Coach is looking for all the support he can get for the game...hence the free tickets for students, he has to be tired of the debbie-downers. I'd be p'd too, if you don't want to help me, I'm not going to let you hurt me...ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I wouldn't blame him if he shuts down, respect is earned and not given. If Coach as been open with the press in providing info and access, he was respecting them for who they were in what they had to do while trying to earn theirs and everyone elses respect. Being a wise @ss will only get you thrown out of the party.:noidea:

If in fact we remember HCDM's speech at the Dome when he said "it's our team and it's our town", asking not to ask about injuries would seem like a small thing not to do. I understand the reporter has a job to do, but of all the questions he could of asked...really??? I really have no way of knowing, but I wonder if one of the coaches' from a team down south had asked not to be questioned, I doubt the question would be asked. Every advantage is afforded the home team down south, maybe HCDM was a bit amped up, but can you really blame him? Obviously Coach is looking for all the support he can get for the game...hence the free tickets for students, he has to be tired of the debbie-downers. I'd be p'd too, if you don't want to help me, I'm not going to let you hurt me...ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I wouldn't blame him if he shuts down, respect is earned and not given. If Coach as been open with the press in providing info and access, he was respecting them for who they were in what they had to do while trying to earn theirs and everyone elses respect. Being a wise @ss will only get you thrown out of the party.:noidea:

You should read some of the earlier posts in this thread as to when and how Rahme asked the question.

Let me ask you this: if reporters had come out earlier in the week and told Doug at the press conference, "you're doing a poor job with the Okie defense, just don't run it in this week's game and we'll try not to criticize you on other issues," what do you think his response would have been?

It's not reporters' role to pre-empt his coaching options, and it's not his role to pre-empt how they conduct themselves as journalists. This may be hard for you to understand, but it's a relationship of equals, not one side dictating to the other.

I'm cool with Marrone keeping things close to home. The Patriots do the same thing. No need for giving any team an upperhand no matter how slight it may be. Why should Marrone care that the papers don't get the stories the fans want? I want to win games and if that is what Marrone believes will help, then I fully support him to do so until he gives me a reason not to.

I'm cool with Marrone keeping things close to home. The Patriots do the same thing. No need for giving any team an upperhand no matter how slight it may be. Why should Marrone care that the papers don't get the stories the fans want? I want to win games and if that is what Marrone believes will help, then I fully support him to do so until he gives me a reason not to.

Cool. So here's your response: "Sorry, but I'm not able to answer any questions about injuries today. Next question please."

I don't like robots

Yes, but it's not about what you like.

And you're not the guy who's trying to restore a program lacking in fan interest, in a town with one newspaper.

Keeping your cool doesn't cost you a thing, and could have big upside.

That's not being a robot. That's a human with a brain.

Rahme was an a$$ for even asking the question. For christ sakes he asked the reporters yesterday to not ask any questions about injuries so he breaks Marrone's balls right out of the box. Marrone looked like he wanted to punch him in the mouth.

Maybe Rahme can go over to Storrs and write another story about the legendary Coach P like he did on Big East media day.

Rahmes job is to ask the questions. Marrone doesn't have to answer. But Rahme has the right to ask. And Marrone can't tell people what to and what not to ask. Then its not a press conference and just Marrone reading a statement, so why even bother doing it. Sorry but Marrone is wrong here.

Also Rahmes jobs isn't to be an extension of SU's PR team. He isn't supposed to cover stuff up for the team or protect the team. He is supposed to report the news. Good or Bad. Positive or Negative. Not be Marrones buddy and cover up stuff.

Rahmes job is to ask the questions. Marrone doesn't have to answer. But Rahme has the right to ask. And Marrone can't tell people what to and what not to ask. Then its not a press conference and just Marrone reading a statement, so why even bother doing it. Sorry but Marrone is wrong here.

Also Rahmes jobs isn't to be an extension of SU's PR team. He isn't supposed to cover stuff up for the team or protect the team. He is supposed to report the news. Good or Bad. Positive or Negative. Not be Marrones buddy and cover up stuff.

Thank you.

Nice to hear from a grown-up.

Hit the nail on the head Avatusstone28. Marrone's dislike of Shciano + Major reqruiting implications + Injury plagued team = one heck of a stressed out coach this week.

I don't think Marrone dislikes schiano. I think this is Internet folklore

Marrone doesn't dislike Schiano. They get along very well from what I've read.

Ya know what's not Internet folklore? My dislike for Schiano

Me too, there are a couple of guys on the schedule that I believe Coach Marrone probably doesn't care for, one in particular but Coach Schiano isn't one of them

Nobodies perfect and whatever happened, happened. Reading the posts remind me of a MASH (pun intended) episode when each person told a different story.

To me, it's no big deal.

Disagree. He already said no comment on injuries. And he gets a question on injuries. I hate that about reporters. You see it at all press conferences. Whether it be sports or politics you will see the speaker say that they have no comment and a reporter will ask their question as if it will be answered. Really? Why in the hell would you get the answer after hearing no comment? Are reporters dumb? Do they really think they will get an answer? All they do is piss off the speaker. It is almost as if reporters have a question written out and aren't listening to what the speaker is saying. So when it comes their turn to ask a question they ask the same thing. Either that or they have a question and no backup question, so they ask anyway because they can't think of anything else.

Rahme's job is to get content for an article. If he was already told he would not be given any content on injuries the why the is he asking a question on injuries. What the was his thinking there? What did he think would happen? It was beyond stupid. He had NOTHING to gain by asking that.

Well, he got you guys to talk about it so Rahme got some attention that he wouldn't have if he didn't ask the question.

Disagree. He already said no comment on injuries. And he gets a question on injuries. I hate that about reporters. You see it at all press conferences. Whether it be sports or politics you will see the speaker say that they have no comment and a reporter will ask their question as if it will be answered. Really? Why in the hell would you get the answer after hearing no comment? Are reporters dumb? Do they really think they will get an answer? All they do is **** off the speaker. It is almost as if reporters have a question written out and aren't listening to what the speaker is saying. So when it comes their turn to ask a question they ask the same thing. Either that or they have a question and no backup question, so they ask anyway because they can't think of anything else.

Rahme's job is to get content for an article. If he was already told he would not be given any content on injuries the why the **** is he asking a question on injuries. What the **** was his thinking there? What did he think would happen? It was beyond stupid. He had NOTHING to gain by asking that.

I'm not sure he actually intended to ask about specific injuries to specific. It was very awkward with Marrone just standing there staring at people. Nobody knew what to say and the first question that was asked by Dave was how did practice go trying to open a dialogue. Doug didn't even answer that, he replied with a question himself asking what he meant. Then Dave mumbled something and asked about the status of anything since they weren't at practice and Doug was. Doug kept prodding for Dave to be more specific. I got the sense that Dave almost tossed out asking about player status for lack of anything else. Wish Doug had just opened with a few words it may have gone differently. Maybe he just shouldn't have had the presser but it was his idea.

I'm not sure he actually intended to ask about specific injuries to specific. It was very awkward with Marrone just standing there staring at people. Nobody knew what to say and the first question that was asked by Dave was how did practice go trying to open a dialogue. Doug didn't even answer that, he replied with a question himself asking what he meant. Then Dave mumbled something and asked about the status of anything since they weren't at practice and Doug was. Doug kept prodding for Dave to be more specific. I got the sense that Dave almost tossed out asking about player status for lack of anything else. Wish Doug had just opened with a few words it may have gone differently. Maybe he just shouldn't have had the presser but it was his idea.

Doug can certainly be a when he isn't in the mood, I agree Marrone should have either opened with some comments or not done anything

I like a feisty coach and we've done all right with that guy who really loves the press that coaches the basketball team that plays on the hill. Marrone is not perfect and he is going to do things some people don't like and personally I think the guy has bent over backwards to be accommodating.

This is when Doug wanted to know about what Dave's facial expressions were about. I know here at work, when I am talking with and asking fellow associates to do something and they act like little kids with those damn facial expressions, it gets under my skin, lol. I know it shouldn't. I wonder if those expressions really pist Doug off to the extent that he didn't even want to be there anymore, but bit the bullet and stayed anyway?

I am not upset at Doug's actions nor Dave's line of questioning. It is what it is. I actually like to see Doug get like this from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom