Marrone's Decision To Interview Hurts Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's Decision To Interview Hurts Recruiting

G

GoCuse44

What concerns me the most is the impact Marrone's decision to interview for a NFL coaching job will have on this and future recruiting classes. Now every time he walks into an 17 year old kids home the first question will be, "Are you staying at Syracuse or leaving if the NFL comes calling?" No parent or recruit will believe what Marrone has to say from this day forward.

In my opinion Marrone's decision to interview for an NFL job pretty much ends our chances of landing EO and it may cause a player or two in the Class of 2013 to jump ship. Personally I hope he leaves for the NFL because his credibility is shot in terms of recruiting since a recruit will see right through his sales pitch about Syracuse being a great place to play football because he could have just said no to the Bills and Browns.

If this was truly Marrone's "dream job" he would have done what Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald and Washington's Steve Sarkisian did last year when they were pursued by the St. Louis Rams and turned down the chance to interview for an NFL job.

I think the athletic director at BC made the right decision by firing their head coach when he interviewed for an NFL job because the interview alone severely impacts recruiting in the future.

Well its definately pretty obvious that even if he stays we are most likely on borrowed time. Can he promise a recruit like Ogundeko that he will be here for their entire time at Syracuse...nope.

Worked out great for BC!
I agree it did not work out well for BC but how does a recruit ever believe what Marrone has to say. If you were a high profile recruit why would you agree to come to Syracuse when the head coach is looking to leave for the NFL.

I think you are overreacting a bit here... Let's see how it plays out first. Pete Carroll was pursued for years by the NFL and he kept hauling in recruits... If anything kids like to play for coaches that NFL cache

Just because Adam Schefter claims that a couple of NFL teams have reached out to Marrone doesn't mean that Marrone is looking to leave.

It doesn't even mean that Marrone will take either interview.

Wait until the flight tracker finds a plane headed to Cleveland before you get your panties in a bunch.

Just because Adam Schefter claims that a couple of NFL teams have reached out to Marrone doesn't mean that Marrone is looking to leave.

Wait until the flight tracker finds a plane headed to Cleveland before you get your panties in a bunch.

I agree with what you wrote but then I got a little nervous...how did you know he was wearing panties?

I think you are overreacting a bit here... Let's see how it plays out first. Pete Carroll was pursued for years by the NFL and he kept hauling in recruits... If anything kids like to play for coaches that NFL cache
Pete Carroll was also coaching at USC where he had 5-star recruits waiting in line for scholarships. We can't even land the top players in New York State (Jones, Williams, etc). Marrone's decision to even interview for a NFL job hurts recruiting at a school like Syracuse a heck of a lot more than it does at USC.

Every college coach is going to use Marrone's decision to interview for an NFL job against him from this day forward. If Marrone does not want to be here so be it but in my opinion his to interview for an NFL job is going to hurt Syracuse football big time.

We all know that kids watch Sportscenter so the fact he is rumored to be interviewing is bad. Also no onw on the staff can talk to EO so what is he thinking about Marrone's loyalty to the program or the 2013 recruits?

What concerns me the most is the impact Marrone's decision to interview for a NFL coaching job will have on this and future recruiting classes. Now every time he walks into an 17 year old kids home the first question will be, "Are you staying at Syracuse or leaving if the NFL comes calling?" No parent or recruit will believe what Marrone has to say from this day forward.

In my opinion Marrone's decision to interview for an NFL job pretty much ends our chances of landing EO and it may cause a player or two in the Class of 2013 to jump ship. Personally I hope he leaves for the NFL because his credibility is shot in terms of recruiting since a recruit will see right through his sales pitch about Syracuse being a great place to play football because he could have just said no to the Bills and Browns.

If this was truly Marrone's "dream job" he would have done what Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald and Washington's Steve Sarkisian did last year when they were pursued by the St. Louis Rams and turned down the chance to interview for an NFL job.

I think the athletic director at BC made the right decision by firing their head coach when he interviewed for an NFL job because the interview alone severely impacts recruiting in the future.

Or...his status as an elite college coach is instantly established once his name is associated with the few being coveted by the NFL. Best case scenario, if he stays at SU, is a re-commitment to his "dream job" (with market compensation AND a commitment by the BOT to invest in "his" football program, facilities and staff) and a chance to sell recruits on the fact that they will be coached by someone who could be a head coach in the NFL, but he would rather coach and develop YOU.

Win-Win

In my opinion if I was a recruit or a parent I would never trust Marrone since its obvious he wants to be an NFL head coach. If Marrone did not want the Bills or Browns job he would have made a statement denying reports or turned down the chance to interview.

I wish we were talking about the impact EO would have on this program instead of Marrone interviewing for an NFL job. Disappointing start to 2013.

In my opinion if I was a recruit or a parent I would never trust Marrone since its obvious he wants to be an NFL head coach. If Marrone did not want the Bills or Browns job he would have made a statement denying reports or turned down the chance to interview.

I wish we were talking about the impact EO would have on this program instead of Marrone interviewing for an NFL job. Disappointing start to 2013.
It's not obvious until he leaves. Using interest from other employers to strengthen your postion at your current one happens all of the time in other professions. He may have interest or he may be using this as strategy. None of us know until it plays out. Saying anything is obvious is jumping the gun.

We will see. I'm disappointed that this is coming out the week EO announces his decision and no one on the coaching staff can even reach out to EO to let him know whats go on in terms of Marrone's future at SU.

We will see. I'm disappointed that this is coming out the week EO announces his decision and no one on the coaching staff can even reach out to EO to let him know whats go on in terms of Marrone's future at SU.

IF EO is seriously considering SU, EO can reach out to the staff, even during the dead period. Prety much a non issue.

I agree it did not work out well for BC but how does a recruit ever believe what Marrone has to say. If you were a high profile recruit why would you agree to come to Syracuse when the head coach is looking to leave for the NFL.
Q: How does any recruit ever know any coach is going to stay?

A: He doesn't.

C'mon - you know this.

And if you think that going the BC route on this is a good idea, you haven't been paying attention.

From what I heard Marrone is absolutely interviewing for the Bills job, Bills are very interested. Barring some huge SU contract extension, expect him to interview.

From what I heard Marrone is absolutely interviewing for the Bills job, Bills are very interested. Barring some huge SU contract extension, expect him to interview.

And to think, I've been the one defending Marrone's character. Marrone just brings on some January enrollees, particularly Allen, and then says I'm going to give the NFL a try. This really flies in the face of everything I thought about Marrone.

And to think, I've been the one defending Marrone's character. Marrone just brings on some January enrollees, particularly Allen, and then says I'm going to give the NFL a try. This really flies in the face of everything I thought about Marrone.

I agree. Keon Lynn's twitter post hits the nail on the head. The players must feel like Marrone sold them a bill of goods after enduring Fort Drum, leadership development, life skills, etc. only to have him start interviewing for a NFL job two days after a bowl victory. Zach Allen and the JUCO's must be having second thoughts about their decision to play for Marrone too. It proves one thing that it is all about the $$$$$ even when you are making $1 million dollars a year coaching football in Syracuse.

How does coaching instability work at other schools? After all, they are all always looking, right? Why not believe Marrone if he says he interviewed for a job but decided he wanted to stay at SU?

Can we let this whole thing play out before firing everybody?

One thing to think about with all this speculation: the Browns' owner said that only 2 people know who they are considering (he:Haslam, and the CEO: Banner) and that they wouldn't be disclosing who was going to be interviewed. Either they changed their minds on this (doubtful), ESPN is speculating without cause (probable) or the information was disclosed by other sources (coaches to be interviewed- also possible, but would hurt their chances of being hired).

I don't blame HCDM. If anything the BOT is at fault since they should move aggressively to sign him to an extension. He would be foolish not to use the NFL as leverage to get a better deal with SU (if that is what he wants). Hopefully he stays. If the BOT is only willing to offer a salary in the area of $1.25M what kind of coach do they think they'll attract? A lightweight.

I think we should all relax about this. Strong went through the same thing at the 'Ville (his pressure was to move up to an SEC program) and they wound up getting a deal done. I didn't notice recruits fleeing from the Louisville board. I'm sure the same speculation occurred at NW and Iowa State, etc...

Even if the worst happens, it's a sign that the program is on the rise. One recent example of this is Rutgers, which certainly didn't fall apart when Schiano left for the NFL the week before signing day.

But we're a long way away from that. The only thing recruits are seeing at this point is flattery from the NFL towards a quality college coach who turned around a college program on the rocks.

I think we should all relax about this. Strong went through the same thing at the 'Ville (his pressure was to move up to an SEC program) and they wound up getting a deal done. I didn't notice recruits fleeing from the Louisville board. I'm sure the same speculation occurred at NW and Iowa State, etc...

Even if the worst happens, it's a sign that the program is on the rise. One recent example of this is Rutgers, which certainly didn't fall apart when Schiano left for the NFL the week before signing day.

But we're a long way away from that. The only thing recruits are seeing at this point is flattery from the NFL towards a quality college coach who turned around a college program on the rocks.

Dont tell that to the RU rivals board, that place is still in meltdown mode.

While I understand where most of you are coming from and believe there are some valid points and concerns that have been made, I still believe that too much is being made of this at the current time. I also believe that many are being overly harsh on DM and making a lot of assumptions with a situation where much is still not understood or clear.

Some of this actually makes sense to me. If DM isn't yet getting what he wants from SU, then why not interview for other positions regardless of his interest. By doing so, he may gain the leverage needed to get what he is seeking... negotiating 101. The bottom line at this point is that I believe DM deserves more respect than being given by many on the board. We just simply don't know enough yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom