Marrone's Recruiting - Offensive Skill Position Players | Syracusefan.com

Marrone's Recruiting - Offensive Skill Position Players

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Let's break it down and take a look at Marrone's recruiting of what we perceive is lacking at SU and therefore dragging down the entire program at this point...the offensive skill player.

From QB (many want an upgrade over Nassib), to RB (no depth behind Bailey), to WR (can't get open, no deep threats) and TE (Provo's last year). We have many concerns about this area. Is this fair? Should we concerned with Marrone's inability to land talented players on offense that can make an impact we desperately need? Or has Marrone done a good job thus far?

QB - Charlie Loeb **

No other offers, took a flyer since we were lacking a QB in the class at the time. Has not been able to press Nassib. May start as a senior in 2013.

WR - Alec Lemon ***

No other offers, but did have a breakout senior season which boosted his ratings a bit. Solid, unspectular. Consistent, but not a game breaker.

QB - John Kinder ***

Athletic kid, not highly-recruited. Project. Has not pressed for starting position, but still just a redshirt frosh.

QB - Jonny Miller ***

Gone and may never come back. More sought-after than Kinder, but lacked size and could never get healthy.

RB - Dom Timbers ***

Ineligible

RB - Prince Gulley **

Very few offers. Sleeper recruit that has shown "flashes." Devastating injury in 2011, but should be the starting tailback in 2012 and 2013.

RB - Jerome Smith **

Very few offers. Big kid but lack explosiveness. Could be a candidate to change positions.

RB - Mario Tull **

Recruited as a linebacker but since switched. Not likely to receive much PT in his career.

WR - Jarrod West ***

If Jim Harbaugh offers, that says something. Lacks speed and explosiveness. Solid, but unspectacular. A bigger Alec Lemon. Limited ceiling?

WR - Adrian Flemming **

Lighly recruited. Should have redshirted in 2010 but couldn't because of injuries. Hasn't shown anything since then. Potential is there, but has to be willing to get there.

TE - Beckett Wales **

Lightly recruited. Passes the look test but has not provided much of an impact in 2011. Should have a bigger role in 2012 and no reason to think he can't take over for Provo and be very good. Has all the physical tools.

TE - Charlie Copa *

No other offers. No longer in the program.

TE - Max Beaulieu ***

Highly recruited prospect on defensive line but has switched to offense. Has been a disappointment thus far but it's still early. TBD

QB - Terrel Hunt **

Sleeper. Got looks from other programs but not a blue chip. Has all the physical tools. Word has it that he has impressed thus far.

RB - Adonis Moore ***

Offers from multiple BCS programs. Potential is there, but must get in better physical shape and get the mental parts down. Should rotate in with Gulley the next couple of years.

WR - Jereremiah Kobena **

Sleeper recruit. Explosive speed, but very raw. Great potential if he can be developed.

WR - Keenan Hale **

Good offer sheet, including one from Bobby Petrino. Physically immature but the potential should be there to eventually make an impact, hopefully.

WR - Kyle Foster **

Sleeper recruit, lighly recruited but physically imposing and ahead of schedule. Not sure how high the ceiling is, however. Lacks great speed.

TE - Louie Addazio **

Blocker. Redshirting.

QB - Ashton Broyld ***

Great athlete, highly-touted. Attitude is a question-mark, as is his potential behind center.

RB - DeVante McFarlane ***

Late bloomer apparently blowing up. Should compete for playing time immediately if the staff can hold on.

RB - Tyree Smallwood ***

Good offer sheet coming out of high school. Could stay at RB or move to WR. Interesting recruit...

WR - Alvin Cornelius **

Good size but not much attention from BCS programs. Likely a similar player as Foster, but who knows, could be the next Mike Williams for all we know, we'll see...

WR - Ben Lewis *

Sleeper. No other offers but good size if nothing else.

TE - Josh Parris ***

Might be the gem of the class so far. Great offers. May have ability to come in and play right away.

The future of the offense and therefore program rides on these kids' shoulders. Should we be hopeful...or worried?

The future of the offense and therefore program rides on these kids' shoulders. Should we be hopeful...or worried?

Hopeful that Akeel Lynch comes on down.

Yeah, I'm concerned. It's not just replacing the current production, it's improving on it.

I think Hale will be a good one, Kobena can get there too. I am higer on Moore than most, we need the speed back somewhere, somehow. The thing about West, who I like, is Stanford has no real burners at wide receiver, I wonder if Harbaugh was going to try and make West a TE, he has the frame to carry another 20 pounds... They are power running game, Luck and ridiculous tight ends...

What do you people expect after 10 years of clusterf football in a clusterf BE conference - we sank so low to be in bottom 10 of BCS schools most high school kids never knew or heard that SU existed as a college football school.

Games like the WVA game will slowly bring back prominence to that program. Losses to UL don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Going bowling each year adds to the appeal to SU for recruits.

Coach says SU at best is a development school for now - turn these NY kids into winners with some going to NFL will cause more interest in the program regionally & nationwide. Nuff said.

Let's break it down and take a look at Marrone's recruiting of what we perceive is lacking at SU and therefore dragging down the entire program at this point...the offensive skill player.

From QB (many want an upgrade over Nassib), to RB (no depth behind Bailey), to WR (can't get open, no deep threats) and TE (Provo's last year). We have many concerns about this area. Is this fair? Should we concerned with Marrone's inability to land talented players on offense that can make an impact we desperately need? Or has Marrone done a good job thus far?

QB - Charlie Loeb **

No other offers, took a flyer since we were lacking a QB in the class at the time. Has not been able to press Nassib. May start as a senior in 2013.

WR - Alec Lemon ***

No other offers, but did have a breakout senior season which boosted his ratings a bit. Solid, unspectular. Consistent, but not a game breaker.

QB - John Kinder ***

Athletic kid, not highly-recruited. Project. Has not pressed for starting position, but still just a redshirt frosh.

QB - Jonny Miller ***

Gone and may never come back. More sought-after than Kinder, but lacked size and could never get healthy.

RB - Dom Timbers ***

Ineligible

RB - Prince Gulley **

Very few offers. Sleeper recruit that has shown "flashes." Devastating injury in 2011, but should be the starting tailback in 2012 and 2013.

RB - Jerome Smith **

Very few offers. Big kid but lack explosiveness. Could be a candidate to change positions.

RB - Mario Tull **

Recruited as a linebacker but since switched. Not likely to receive much PT in his career.

WR - Jarrod West ***

If Jim Harbaugh offers, that says something. Lacks speed and explosiveness. Solid, but unspectacular. A bigger Alec Lemon. Limited ceiling?

WR - Adrian Flemming **

Lighly recruited. Should have redshirted in 2010 but couldn't because of injuries. Hasn't shown anything since then. Potential is there, but has to be willing to get there.

TE - Beckett Wales **

Lightly recruited. Passes the look test but has not provided much of an impact in 2011. Should have a bigger role in 2012 and no reason to think he can't take over for Provo and be very good. Has all the physical tools.

TE - Charlie Copa *

TE - Max Beaulieu ***

Highly recruited prospect on defensive line but has switched to offense. Has been a disappointment thus far but it's still early. TBD

QB - Terrel Hunt **

Sleeper. Got looks from other programs but not a blue chip. Has all the physical tools. Word has it that he has impressed thus far.

RB - Adonis Moore ***

Offers from multiple BCS programs. Potential is there, but must get in better physical shape and get the mental parts down. Should rotate in with Gulley the next couple of years.

Sleeper recruit. Explosive speed, but very raw. Great potential if he can be developed.

WR - Keenan Hale **

Good offer sheet, including one from Bobby Petrino. Physically immature but the potential should be there to eventually make an impact, hopefully.

WR - Kyle Foster **

Sleeper recruit, lighly recruited but physically imposing and ahead of schedule. Not sure how high the ceiling is, however. Lacks great speed.

TE - Louie Addazio **

Blocker. Redshirting.

QB - Ashton Broyld ***

Great athlete, highly-touted. Attitude is a question-mark, as is his potential behind center.

Late bloomer apparently blowing up. Should compete for playing time immediately if the staff can hold on.

RB - Tyree Smallwood ***

Good offer sheet coming out of high school. Could stay at RB or move to WR. Interesting recruit...

WR - Alvin Cornelius **

Good size but not much attention from BCS programs. Likely a similar player as Foster, but who knows, could be the next Mike Williams for all we know, we'll see...

WR - Ben Lewis *

TE - Josh Parris ***

Might be the gem of the class so far. Great offers. May have ability to come in and play right away.

What it says is that this is a development program (which shouldn't be disputed by anyone) that is throwing kids needing two or three years in S&C and postion coaching in as freshmen (true or redshirt) and expecting them to make an instant impact at a BCS program and displace kids who are in their 3rd/4th/5th year in the program.

What do you people expect after 10 years of clusterf football in a clusterf BE conference - we sank so low to be in bottom 10 of BCS schools most high school kids never knew or heard that SU existed as a college football school.

Games like the WVA game will slowly bring back prominence to that program. Losses to UL don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Going bowling each year adds to the appeal to SU for recruits.

Coach says SU at best is a development school for now - turn these NY kids into winners with some going to NFL will cause more interest in the program regionally & nationwide. Nuff said.
In perspective, Marrone has recruited much better overall than his predecessor, has done much better filling in with JUCOs, and has made the team competitive.
But what do we expect at the skill positions? Why not match Carter, Bailey, Nassib, Provo, Williams, Sales, Lemon and Taj Smith? Several of these guys had immediate impact. Among all the good things Marrone has done, it stands out that he has not landed skill players. At Louisville, despite several years of woeful football (losing to GROB even), Charlie Strong has true frosh starting and having an impact.
Now, I believe that Broyld, Smallwood and McFarland will be the start of a better trend. I don't see a WR in the mix yet that will make people forget Mike Williams.

QB - Charlie Loeb **

WR - Alec Lemon ***

QB - John Kinder ***

QB - Jonny Miller ***

RB - Dom Timbers ***

Ineligible

RB - Prince Gulley **

RB - Jerome Smith **

RB - Mario Tull **

WR - Jarrod West ***

WR - Adrian Flemming **

TE - Beckett Wales **

TE - Charlie Copa *

TE - Max Beaulieu ***

QB - Terrel Hunt **

RB - Adonis Moore ***

WR - Keenan Hale **

WR - Kyle Foster **

TE - Louie Addazio **

Blocker. Redshirting.

QB - Ashton Broyld ***

RB - Tyree Smallwood ***

WR - Alvin Cornelius **

WR - Ben Lewis *

TE - Josh Parris ***

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken . C'mon, I had to use that one!

In perspective, Marrone has recruited much better overall than his predecessor, has done much better filling in with JUCOs, and has made the team competitive.
But what do we expect at the skill positions? Why not match Carter, Bailey, Nassib, Provo, Williams, Sales, Lemon and Taj Smith? Several of these guys had immediate impact. Among all the good things Marrone has done, it stands out that he has not landed skill players. At Louisville, despite several years of woeful football (losing to GROB even), Charlie Strong has true frosh starting and having an impact.
Now, I believe that Broyld, Smallwood and McFarland will be the start of a better trend. I don't see a WR in the mix yet that will make people forget Mike Williams.

Let's just say the Strong has a little more latitude in the kids he can bring in.

As I understand it here is what is posted in a L'ville meeting room:

Core Values of Louisville Football
1. Honesty
2. Treat Women with Respect
3. No Stealing
4. No drugs
5. No guns
Let's get this out of the way: Cater, Sales, Broyld, blah, blah, blah.

No program is full of choir boys, and SU is under NO illusions that it doesn't have to take some at risk kids to improve the overall talent level of the program and hope you can make an impact on improving the prospects for those kids futures. Eskridge is an example of a kid from an at risk background.

But that's different than having not being a criminal the core values of your program.

Let's just say the Strong has a little more latitude in the kids he can bring in.

As I understand it here is what is posted in a L'ville meeting room:

Core Values of Louisville Football
1. Honesty
2. Treat Women with Respect
3. No Stealing
4. No drugs
5. No guns
Let's get this out of the way: Cater, Sales, Broyld, blah, blah, blah.

No program is full of choir boys, and SU is under NO illusions that it doesn't have to take some at risk kids to improve the overall talent level of the program and hope you can make an impact on improving the prospects for those kids futures. Eskridge is an example of a kid from an at risk background.

But that's different than having not being a criminal the core values of your program.

I doubt Strong or any BE tam has more latitude in the sense you are portraying. We take a lot of what you call at risk kids, you only mentioned the ones that didn't work out or haven't worked out yet. I am sure there are others that have worked out. It's not like those who haven't are the only ones that were at risk when e signed them. I don't see Louisville as some renegade program that takes a bunch of criminals. That's an awful big leap.

We should be very worried. Doug has done a good job bringing in a few Juco contributors and i hope that we continue that trend. I have been very vocal about our need to bring in another RB or two why not go the Juco route? I also wonder if we should be looking Juco for WR and TE's that can contribute next year

if the path the coach has laid down is really accurate then most of the kids playing early are only doing so because they have too. he has mentioned over and over developing kids is the goal to compete. if thats true and the kids really need 2-3 years then perhaps we need to wait?

I think Hale will be a good one, Kobena can get there too. I am higer on Moore than most, we need the speed back somewhere, somehow. The thing about West, who I like, is Stanford has no real burners at wide receiver, I wonder if Harbaugh was going to try and make West a TE, he has the frame to carry another 20 pounds... They are power running game, Luck and ridiculous tight ends...

Hale and Kobena both project as being better playmakers than the current crop.

Would be good to have Sales back next year--he'd upgrade that unit immensely...

I' ve read a couple of people have positive things to say about Hale. Where does this optimism come from?

I' ve read a couple of people have positive things to say about Hale. Where does this optimism come from?
Late interest in the recruiting process from Arkansas. He's a really good athlete with a great frame.

Lemon committed fairly early I believe, under Gump, and was quite clear he was sticking with his commitment, even before Doug was hired. One would think that kept others from trying to push in on him.

First of all, the list complied above is concerning. Secondly, I do not agree that HCDM has done a better job recruiting offensive skill players than his predecessor (s). If he had, they would be playing ahead of the predecessor's recruits and for the most part they are not. HCDM has obviously improved the team overall and I woud say the offense is significantly improved. It's just not a result of his recruits at the skill positions. The only offensive player I am really excited about seeing develop is Ameen-Moore. He needs a change of pace complement for the offense to be successful, McFarlane? Smallwood? Hopeful but not sure either of those are Mungro, Brinkley, Carter types. There is no valid excuse at all for SU not to be able to bring in a top flight RB.

There is no valid excuse at all for SU not to be able to bring in a top flight RB.

Well, besides the fact we blew for half of these kids' lifetimes, don't have a lot of dominant NFL representatives, up until two months ago played in a conference with no name power, focused on filling out the defense first, and have had upper-classmen that have worked very hard to go from sleepers to starters in their own right. Another poster said it best, we are getting talent, but we are a development school with a coach who values accountability first and foremost... just because the frosh and sophs aren't jumping juniors and seniors doesn't mean they can't play.

Go find a JUCO rb with really good speed, that can get here in Decemeber and he will get 15 carries a game next year

I understand the main point but I can not stress enough on how hard it is to do things the right way and build relationships with hs coaches and players and Marrone is working hard to do so. Strong had a strong base in Florida and that is a top 3 recruiting state along with that he has less limitations academically than Marrone does. Our strength is that Marrone has been working with the 6th grade to higher kids and building that relationship up and that is where we will start to see the rewards. Those kids are now in 10th or 11th grade now and I firmly believe that this will be when Marrone recruiting begins to reach that 20-35 recruiting level is when these guys are looking at colleges.

The foundation for building a solid recruiting base is being built. Has Marrone recruited gamebrakers, not so far but he is building something that once some 4 or 5 star kids start looking here they might be able to get a few. It seems that fans like things that are shiny much like the players themselves and those stars are what turn many on and the system the Syracuse staff has is solid and getting more and more attention and I like the fact that Marrone isn't a bs car salesman like many coaches are. Rutgers does recruit pretty well and it took a while for Shciano to keep jersey kids home and that is something Marrone is now doing along with attracting players from other fertile recruiting areas in the east.

Marrone does not have those shiny super bowl rings but he has substance and a lot of times recruits don't want to be told the truth, they want their ass kissed or they had to be nurtured from an earlier age and shown the love. It's a process and from what I gathered from Marrone he doesn't seem to be an ass kisser so that building of relationships is the most important thing he can do and that is what he is doing.

Go find a JUCO rb with really good speed, that can get here in Decemeber and he will get 15 carries a game next year

I'd rather go find a WR with really good speed who can start from day one.

JUCOs are short term solutions to long term problems - they are JUCOs for a reason. Look at Hay & Tiller. Really? I am surprised by your post.

JUCOs are short term solutions to long term problems - they are JUCOs for a reason. Look at Hay & Tiller. Really? I am surprised by your post.

What's wrong with Tiller and Hay? Both are two-year starters and extremely valuable to the team and the rebuilding of the program.

Methinks he wants to follow the Nebraska/Wisconsin method of success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom