Maryland Game Thread... | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember off our surprise 10-3 year in 2001, everyone thought we were good again, and then we went to BYU and got rocked.

This feels like that. But worse.
This feels different to me. Anyone that knew a little about football could see Freeney made that season for us. On average, we gave up more yards than we gained in 2001. There was no reason to believe the defense would be as disruptive without him and no reason to believe the offense would improve enough to make up for that without a QB.

We have pieces to build on here. We need to take advantage of the soft schedule after Clemson and look good to recruits so we can continue to upgrade talent. The offensive line has to get better.

1-2 is a given. Need to use the WMU and HC games to find something. Otherwise I wouldn’t be shocked with 4-8. I don’t think we’ll be 4-8, but won’t be shocked if we are.

It’s not hopeless. Maryland is a top 15-20 right now. We made a lot of mistakes. The d did not defend simple concepts. It was not a talent problem but an execution/readiness issue.

I bet we give Clemson fits.

Commentators had it right. SU Quit in this game with a capital Q!
Although to tell the truth it was hard to tell the difference from the first and second quarters.

Honestly thought these losses were behind us.

That’s what’s so crazy. I know games like this happened but we were outmatched in every aspect of the game. Including and maybe most importantly, coaching.

Should of played a few more cupcakes until we were ready clearly we weren’t that should be what we do every year until we can be consistent
You can only play so many cupcakes and most OOC are played early. Maryland is not supposed to be Alabama or Ohio State.

It’s not hopeless. Maryland is a top 15-20 right now. We made a lot of mistakes. The d did not defend simple concepts. It was not a talent problem but an execution/readiness issue.

I could care less about giving Clemson fits. I’d rather win the games you should win, or at least look competitive then to look cool playing close games to Clemson every year.

Well this certainly takes the wind out of the sails for next week. Hell, this sinks the boat.

Not good when commentators say you’re defense has quit. Not good at all.

It was clear they laid down. Don't know how the staff gets them right going forward. They've shown you what they'll do when they face some adversity. Those are players you don't want near your program because that mind state is infectious.

I thought we were past losses like this. Going to be a long season. I haven't been this miserable in a long time watching SU football.

Were they playing Hangman?

Might have been in chatroom during 3rd Q OIG was sitting behind Maryland bench and said they looked like they weren’t taking us seriously.

Even if we lose clemson we get easy home games to build confidence and a bye. If we somehow pull it off and beat Clemson then that could be 4-1 and I’ll take either 3-2 and 4-1

Sorry, but no. Maryland is not a top 15 team. We are not even a top 50. You can’t have a defense as proud as ours and a QB that gives up on 4th down. Maryland is good, but we are BAD.

That’s what’s so crazy. I know games like this happened but we were outmatched in every aspect of the game. Including and maybe most importantly, coaching.
Maybe it's coaching. It looked to me like we just got our butts handed to us at the LOS. Their running backs had holes, ours had creases. Their QB had an abundance of time to throw until we started blitzing, ours felt consistent pressure. It didn't help that TD didn't deal well with the pressure when it came.

We ever going to get the stud WR’s again?

Thought for sure it would be happening by this point.

in HCDB's tenure, I think that the only "big", productive WRs he signed were transfers - AET and Trishton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom