Maryland Gameday... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

Got a couple of great players coming next year from the portal but still need a strong guy at the X. Hopefully the coaches can snag one.
I’ve got this vision that Gait Lax develops some revolutionary FO stick head & signs a big-time, proven transfer to SU & a sponsorship deal to be the face of the release.

428785CC-82B2-4ADB-90D2-F0D2B7D064B9.gif

Last edited:
Like some posters have said I thought we never really threatened MD even though we lost by only 3.Anytime we tried to put together a scoring run, it was undermined by either stupid penalty, failed clear or a bad turnover.

Got a couple of great players coming next year from the portal but still need a strong guy at the X. Hopefully the coaches can snag one.

By portal I assume transfer portal? That would certainly be encouraging.

Jake Spallina and John Mullen come in as freshmen next year. Still would love some proven help in this department. Would have been interesting to see how much of a difference Ierlan would have made this year but that’s neither here nor there.

Like some posters have said I thought we never really threatened MD even though we lost by only 3.Anytime we tried to put together a scoring run, it was undermined by either stupid penalty, failed clear or a bad turnover.

Yes every time we got into striking distance something bad would happen and they capitalized. Can't do that against a team like Maryland. They will make you pay which they did.

I rewatched the game. Trujillo isn't ready to play yet we need Aviles back. Murphy and Rice were fine. Asking a freshman SSDM to play agajnst Maryland is a lot so not blaming Trujillo but we need Aviles back next week. I thought Murphy played well he got beat by Owen Murphy for a goal but that was it he hung tough and Rice got beat twice but again all shortys get beat. Trujillo wasn't even close and these next few weeks will be tough on him so hopefully Aviles is back.

Don’t have to name names but can you elaborate in this? They already have portal commits for next year?

I rewatched the game. Trujillo isn't ready to play yet we need Aviles back. Murphy and Rice were fine. Asking a freshman SSDM to play agajnst Maryland is a lot so not blaming Trujillo but we need Aviles back next week. I thought Murphy played well he got beat by Owen Murphy for a goal but that was it he hung tough and Rice got beat twice but again all shortys get beat. Trujillo wasn't even close and these next few weeks will be tough on him so hopefully Aviles is back.
Murphy and Rice got smoked too. FO and SSDM play cost us the game.

Petro thought Trujillo grew up during the course of the game. I’d trust his eye over any fan.

Don’t have to name names but can you elaborate in this? They already have portal commits for next year
No need to rush I would say. If it’s on the down low that is ok

To throw Truiljio under the bus seems kind of unnecessary. He's a freshman playing his first game on the road, trying to step in for a veteran. He's allowed some mistakes. Murphy is a fifth year player who was far from fine yesterday - he had a nice check that caused a turnover, and a goal, but he gets beat far too easily, especially when he's on the wings. He's gritty and tough and I love v-checks he throws (Aviles does a nice job with these as well), but a simple stutter step gets thrown his way and he's half way to opposite teams bench. I don't like criticizing any of the players but it seems like you've been going after some of the other SSDMs (Rosa as well) to let Murphy off the hook for some of his play.

To throw Truiljio under the bus seems kind of unnecessary. He's a freshman playing his first game on the road, trying to step in for a veteran. He's allowed some mistakes. Murphy is a fifth year player who was far from fine yesterday - he had a nice check that caused a turnover, and a goal, but he gets beat far too easily, especially when he's on the wings. He's gritty and tough and I love v-checks he throws (Aviles does a nice job with these as well), but a simple stutter step gets thrown his way and he's half way to opposite teams bench. I don't like criticizing any of the players but it seems like you've been going after some of the other SSDMs (Rosa as well) to let Murphy off the hook for some of his play.

I apologize u guys took e wrong I wasn't going after Trujillo at all. I just meant it was tough for him as a freshman in that game. I really wasn't going after him. Was just saying more of we need Aviles back. I even said last week Trujillo is gonna be very good. Was a tough for a freshman vs Maryland as a DM. It's tough on every DM. I really didn't mean it as a bad thing.

I was more sticking up for him. Maybe I didn't say it right so I apologize. I don't even throw any player under the bus I root for all of them no matter what.

Murphy and Rice got smoked too. FO and SSDM play cost us the game.

I would say face offs and penalties cost us the game but everyone has there own opinions.

One silver lining that hasn’t been brought up much, is that next season we will be getting a top end cover guys back. Fig was the #1 close D recruit in the country. Him back and healthy next season will be huge for the defense. Clary and Caccamo have done an admiral job leading the group.

Really like Caccamo and think he’s solid. As a bit of an outsider, I feel like he sometimes slides too early but maybe I’m wrong. He’s great at picking off passes in the air. That part of his game Reminds me of Tyson Bomberry

I would say face offs and penalties cost us the game but everyone has there own opinions.
It is more than obvious that you are fond of the former LIU players. So much so that I would suspect that you are either one of them or their siblings/family members. It's all good, we appreciate a lot of the info.

That being said, DMID play was brutal yesterday. On ball, on the wings, everything.

DMID is IMHO the hardest position to play on the field. With how athletic players are now and with stick technology, its a near impossible task.

Side note: I was not impressed at all with Teddy Dolan. Maryland could in big trouble this year with him in cage.

One silver lining that hasn’t been brought up much, is that next season we will be getting a top end cover guys back. Fig was the #1 close D recruit in the country. Him back and healthy next season will be huge for the defense. Clary and Caccamo have done an admiral job leading the group.

Really like Caccamo and think he’s solid. As a bit of an outsider, I feel like he sometimes slides too early but maybe I’m wrong. He’s great at picking off passes in the air. That part of his game Reminds me of Tyson Bomberry
Random thought on next year.. seeing we are starting to get a depth at the pole possession and we are bringing in Donnie Scott .. would it be outside the realm of possibility to change him to a D Mid , he plays a lot of D in box

Sorry meant to say ssdm not d mid

Last edited:
It is more than obvious that you are fond of the former LIU players. So much so that I would suspect that you are either one of them or their siblings/family members. It's all good, we appreciate a lot of the info.

That being said, DMID play was brutal yesterday. On ball, on the wings, everything.

DMID is IMHO the hardest position to play on the field. With how athletic players are now and with stick technology, its a near impossible task.

Side note: I was not impressed at all with Teddy Dolan. Maryland could in big trouble this year with him in cage.

Followed them here on LI. Friends who are alumni there and friendly with some players due to being around the team. Lifelong Cuse fan and of course I root for those guys. First half the DMs struggled but thought they hung in there tough in the 2nd half. Wing play I will say was tough yesterday it seemed like Wierman was able to put the ball wherever he wanted. That kid is so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom