Maryland is the Detroit of College Sports | Syracusefan.com

Maryland is the Detroit of College Sports

Townie72

All American
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I said Maryland would never go to the B1G because my Terp Club fans were so against it.

It's unclear Maryland can afford to go to the B1G. They have to spend big dollars to upgrade facilities and to insure football players can get 21 meals a week. And they don't have any money. So now the plan is to go to the boosters who were against leaving the ACC to get money so they can compete with Ohio State and Michigan,

Good luck with that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...a58258-0423-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_story.html

funny how they picked the photo of a penalty...Helmut to Helmut HIT

what can happen if they don't pay the exit fee before competing in big10.

Just for kicks and grins, wouldn't it be cool if Maryland is forced to pay the ACC exit fee can't begs to stay and PSU comes along? It isn't going to happen, but it would be cool! :)

The ACC would tell Maryland to kick rocks, take PSU, and wait a few years for Notre Dame to join fully.

images

F Maryland. I wonder how many fans they'll have left in 5 years? Forget about huge alumni donations, I wonder how many of those fans will be forking over the dinero just to watch their sports teams implode, especially in places like Iowa, Indiana and Nebraska?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I said Maryland would never go to the B1G because my Terp Club fans were so against it.

It's unclear Maryland can afford to go to the B1G. They have to spend big dollars to upgrade facilities and to insure football players can get 21 meals a week. And they don't have any money. So now the plan is to go to the boosters who were against leaving the ACC to get money so they can compete with Ohio State and Michigan,

Good luck with that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...a58258-0423-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_story.html

Isn't Rutgirls in the same boat? Both Rutgirls & Maryland being doormats can only help SU long term prospects.

I'll lay down a fiver that they don't have a surplus in 5 years as speculated by that report.

That's not a bet. Everyone knows that Maryland has been using Rutgers Athletics Department's Business Mathematics for Dummies.

Maryland screwed up their finances, and they screwed up by electing to go to the Big10. Plain and simple.

How could an athletic department get so far out of whack? Was no one looking?

A couple of things.

The University of Maryland is prohibited by law from using General Fund money to fund the Athletic Department. Th Athletic Department must be self-sustaining. That's why the article points to the University of Maryland loaning money to the athletic department.

New Jersey has no such law. So the Rutgers Athletic Department has been taxing the student body $25M a year for programs that most of them wouldn't pay for voluntarily.

And Maryland --- based on a few good football years under Friedgen --- expanded the football stadium. But the better teams didn't last and expanded Byrd Stadium has never been filled. But the debt remains as an albatross around the Athletic Department's neck. Building the stadium expansion may have been a desperate gamble to reach fiscal solvency.

Many schools run a deficit. Only Maryland's honest accounting got them in trouble.

GA Tech undergrads* pay at least $3.6M in fees to the AD.
Add another $1.75M if grad students pay the same fee.

* I just checked my son's bill for the Fall semester yesterday, doubled it to include the Spring semester and multiplied it by last year's enrollment figures. He/we/I paid $40 during one of the summer sessions as well, so the annual amount is even higher.

A couple of things.

The University of Maryland is prohibited by law from using General Fund money to fund the Athletic Department. Th Athletic Department must be self-sustaining. That's why the article points to the University of Maryland loaning money to the athletic department.

New Jersey has no such law. So the Rutgers Athletic Department has been taxing the student body $25M a year for programs that most of them wouldn't pay for voluntarily.

And Maryland --- based on a few good football years under Friedgen --- expanded the football stadium. But the better teams didn't last and expanded Byrd Stadium has never been filled. But the debt remains as an albatross around the Athletic Department's neck. Building the stadium expansion may have been a desperate gamble to reach fiscal solvency.

Many schools run a deficit. Only Maryland's honest accounting got them in trouble.

Should be a warning to all those who are so adamant about cuse building a new football stadium. Unless you've got the donors to cover the full cost of a several hundred million dollar project, I wouldn't be in such a rush to replace a facility that is not in dire need of being replaced.

Should be a warning to all those who are so adamant about cuse building a new football stadium. Unless you've got the donors to cover the full cost of a several hundred million dollar project, I wouldn't be in such a rush to replace a facility that is not in dire need of being replaced.

hell, I saw a piece on CNBC yesterday about the new facilities at Oregon (aka The Duck Star) - they are seeking boosters to donate funds to cover the annual maintenance costs on that new monstrosity as the school cannot afford it. How'd you like to cut that big check to good ole state U for "the Smith Family Facility Maintenance Services" or "the Jones Family Janitorial Fund" Oh Lord

hell, I saw a piece on CNBC yesterday about the new facilities at Oregon (aka The Duck Star) - they are seeking boosters to donate funds to cover the annual maintenance costs on that new monstrosity as the school cannot afford it. How'd you like to cut that big check to good ole state U for "the Smith Family Facility Maintenance Services" or "the Jones Family Janitorial Fund" Oh Lord

Wow! Just the kind of legacy I would want to leave. I think I will up a Northacuse Dome Pee Trough Maintenance Fund. Lord knows I've used the damn thing often enough!;)

Then you also saw the reserved parking spot for "Penny and Uncle Phil". One of the most pretentious things I've ever seen.

Keep Maryland and bring in West Virginia. Go North south. Northern Division: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Virginia. :)

A couple of things.

I could have this wrong, but wasn't it more than just a stadium expansion of seats? I thought it was primarily very expensive luxury suite additions, and when they weren't able to fill them, the #'s obviously tipped well out of balance. Big dreams...

Keep Maryland and bring in West Virginia. Go North south. Northern Division: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Virginia. :)

Who gets kicked out then? The 16th seat will stay warm for ND, for at least the next 10 years or so.

I'll accept any option that doesn't include UConn (or any other football newbie in the northeast) as the 15th team.

Who gets kicked out then? The 16th seat will stay warm for ND, for at least the next 10 years or so.

I'll accept any option that doesn't include UConn (or any other football newbie in the northeast) as the 15th team.

F Notre Dame. And UCONN would be my choice if we can't get WVA.

F Notre Dame. And UCONN would be my choice if we can't get WVA.

We all have our opinions. And in my opinion, everything you just wrote between "F" and "choice" would make the success of SU football that much more difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom