Matt Langel | Syracusefan.com

Matt Langel

UpstateSM

First to Surmise Dakota Leffew Would Be Orange
I’m not sure if he’ll get a look when JB is done but the guy can definitely coach. The run Colgate has been on the last couple of seasons is really impressive. Fun basketball to watch, too.

Probably could have been a dark horse at-large team if this season was normal.

Market down.
1613356134258.png

I’m not sure if he’ll get a look when JB is done but the guy can definitely coach. The run Colgate has been on the last couple of seasons is really impressive. Fun basketball to watch, too.

Probably could have been a dark horse at-large team if this season was normal.
Really? To coach a major program that needs to recruit against power conference foes? I'm sure he is an excellent x and o guy but no major school would hire a guy from a Colgate at this time. 20 to 30 years ago, sure. There are plenty of terrific coaches that would never get a shot now. That is the type of hire that gets a A.D. fired if it doesn't work. A stronger resume guy doesn't. I have told this story before, but a number of years ago, the University of Lowell won the D-2 national title. The same year, the Umass job came open and the Lowell coach couldn't even get an interview.

Really? To coach a major program that needs to recruit against power conference foes? I'm sure he is an excellent x and o guy but no major school would hire a guy from a Colgate at this time. 20 to 30 years ago, sure. There are plenty of terrific coaches that would never get a shot now. That is the type of hire that gets a A.D. fired if it doesn't work. A stronger resume guy doesn't. I have told this story before, but a number of years ago, the University of Lowell won the D-2 national title. The same year, the Umass job came open and the Lowell coach couldn't even get an interview.
You are probably right. Dave Pauslen was very good at Bucknell and he can't get it going at George Mason in the A10. He's a solid coach but he doesn't recruit the talent you need to be anything above mediocre in a multi-bid league.

Just cool to see the success they're having right now and I'm sure we could do worse.

He wouldn't get a P5 offer for a while, let alone the SU job. I've seen him listed as a candidate at a few A10 jobs, but he might not be good enough for that level yet + if it's the wrong offer it derail his career. Think his best bet might be to stay at Colgate for another year or two

We keep it in house. We keep it cheap. If it’s not one of our assistants , someone like blackwell will get an interview.

We keep it in house. We keep it cheap. If it’s not one of our assistants , someone like blackwell will get an interview.
ZERO percent chance Blackwell goes from a local high school coach to coaching Syracuse. He won’t even get an interview. I can see if Red gets the job he might bring Blackwell on as Basketball Ops or the 3rd assistant. But he wouldn’t even be guaranteed the 3rd assistant let alone interview for the head spot

ZERO percent chance Blackwell goes from a local high school coach to coaching Syracuse. He won’t even get an interview. I can see if Red gets the job he might bring Blackwell on as Basketball Ops or the 3rd assistant. But he wouldn’t even be guaranteed the 3rd assistant let alone interview for the head spot
We shall see. I don’t want him as head coach anyway.

Only thing remotely similar that comes to mind is UNLV hired a high school football coach. He went 20-40 and got fired.
Notre Dame hired a high school football coach as their head football coach (Gerry Faust). Not that it was a successful endeavor either.

Notre Dame hired a high school football coach as their head football coach (Gerry Faust). Not that it was a successful endeavor either.

Good call. Probably the most famous example

Don't mean to sound like an arse, but this is one of the dumbest posts I have read in a long time. Sure, Liverpool high school head coach to SU top man. Sounds plausible.

Blackwell has no control over Boeheim’s Army. They are not well coached. He won’t and shouln’t get a sniff.

Don't mean to sound like an arse, but this is one of the dumbest posts I have read in a long time. Sure, Liverpool high school head coach to SU top man. Sounds plausible.
Because by the time jb retires he could be coaching elsewhere.

Blackwell has no control over Boeheim’s Army. They are not well coached. He won’t and shouln’t get a sniff.
I agree he shouldn’t get a sniff but it’s impossible to compare his coaching ability to what happens with Boeheim’s Army. Boeheim’s army is grown men with a lot of professional experience, playing for a million dollars, with limited practice time and a totally different setting than say a high school or college setting yanno?
But definitely agree, Blackwell is a great dude but Wildhack would be out of his damn mind to hire him as the next head coach and I know for a fact there’s no way he even gets an interview if he just stays a local high school coach. You need college experience first and a few years of that at a minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom