Matt Moyer to Vanderbilt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer to Vanderbilt

Teams been extremely disappointing despite boat loads of talent and height for 5 years or so.

Our fanbase would be going crazy though for a class like the one they signed for 2018 and they might still get Romeo Langford. Its unquestionably top 5 possibly the best after Duke. 2 5 stars and a 4.

He might have picked a great landing spot none of those guys play his position and might not be good enough to 1 and done.

Yeah I think they were in a play-in-game in Dayton a few years ago and lost there with a couple of draft picks. Stallings also had those teams all with Festus Ezeli/Jenkins/Taylor but never made it far in the Tourney.

These current recruits are on another level though. Not sure if they have had a McD player before. If they get Langford that would be like three of them!

Yeah I think they were in a play-in-game in Dayton a few years ago and lost there with a couple of draft picks. Stallings also had those teams all with Festus Ezeli/Jenkins/Taylor but never made it far in the Tourney.

These current recruits are on another level though. Not sure if they have had a McD player before. If they get Langford that would be like three of them!
Someone please to me how a second year coach at a small private school in the SEC with no elite b-ball history lands two top 10 players, including one (Simi) from way outside their recruiting area, and another 4-star recruit. It doesn’t add up at all. JB has a track record of 42 years as a HC fielding NCAA tourney teams almost every year at an elite program that he built, taking his teams far in the dance, winning championships and getting his players drafted by the NBA. And we play in the best b-ball conference in the country in one of the most iconic venues, and we rarely even try to compete for top 10 recruits anymore. What are we doing wrong here in selling this program? Why did we seem to fade away from recruiting Simi even before we landed Baze? (There must be something going on with his recruitment.) And how in gods green earth is Bryce Drew landing two top 10 guys at Vandy in his second year? It’s baffling. Is this a Book Richardson situation? I think that some coaches have long felt that his brother Scott was up to shady stuff at Baylor, so who knows.

Last edited:
awesome selection. excellent academic school. being in nashville, maybe he can also market his violin playing to contry/bluegrass (it becomes fiddle music at that point)---good luck matt.

Wonderful news. Reshirting again will help him get acclimated and since he is actually there for academics first and foremost it seems...this is a win win because he should get PT at Vandy as well.

As for Vandy recruiting, I have no idea why they don't have high quality classes each year other than admittance problems due to their academic standards. Great area as well and always wanted and want this school in the ACC.

Good landing spot for Matt. I wish him only the best. Perhaps I'll be able to catch him play at Vanderbilt sometime in the future when I'm visiting my daughter in Tennessee.

Good spot for Matt though if the sudden recruiting juice Vandy is showing continues he will be in the same boat as he was here in terms of spot in the rotation. Speaking of Vandy's sudden recruiting excellence - I'd be worried - small, private school, with limited resources to fight back - definitely in the NCAA wheelhouse.,

Best of luck to Matt. Great school.

It's been going on for a while now, but the hand sign trend in college sports is really dumb and overplayed. Great way for grown adults to look really stupid especially if you're a Miami or Texas fan imo.

FIFY

Someone please to me how a second year coach at a small private school in the SEC with no elite b-ball history lands two top 10 players, including one (Simi) from way outside their recruiting area, and another 4-star recruit. It doesn’t add up at all. JB has a track record of 42 years as a HC fielding NCAA tourney teams almost every year at an elite program that he built, taking his teams far in the dance, winning championships and getting his players drafted by the NBA. And we play in the best b-ball conference in the country in one of the most iconic venues, and we rarely even try to compete for top 10 recruits anymore. What are we doing wrong here in selling this program? Why did we seem to fade away from recruiting Simi even before we landed Baze? (There must be something going on with his recruitment.) And how in gods green earth is Bryce Drew landing two top 10 guys at Vandy in his second year? It’s baffling. Is this a Book Richardson situation? I think that some coaches have long felt that his brother Scott was up to shady stuff at Baylor, so who knows.
CBD has known Darius Garland since Darius was a kid, went to basketball camps at Valpo,,and now lives 45 mins from Nashville. People might not know that CBD played in the league, as well as being collegiate star, great personality, great staff, great city, top academics. Simi is coming for most of those reasons and the chance to play with his friend, and point guard distributor. I may be proven wrong one day, but Vandy is one of the least likely schools to not be on the level. They are a small fish in the sports world of Nashville and the state of Tenn., even the local paper gives them little to no coverage, especially compared to UT. And their funky gym can be one the great and loudest places to watch a game, many an upset pulled off there, Memorial Magic

Last edited:
Sorry to see him leave, gonna miss him.

Good luck Matt.

Last edited:
Matt, Thanks for your effort that helped the team get to the Sweet 16. Best of luck with your new path, you'll always be Orange.

Drew is younger so maybe he has more experience with helicopter parents

That and maybe he’s younger, less accomplished, and more willing to fake smile and grin and bear it.

Drew is younger so maybe he has more experience with helicopter parents

Again, today's parents are all helicopter parents. I guarantee Juli is one as well. JB is way old, so he might not be.

Your comment, while attempting to denigrate Matt and his parents, is a swing at JB as well for not being able to handle players' parents.

Again, today's parents are all helicopter parents. I guarantee Juli is one as well. JB is way old, so he might not be.

Your comment, while attempting to denigrate Matt and his parents, is a swing at JB as well for not being able to handle players' parents.
Players parents can be beyond handling at any level of sports. I was involved heavily in coaching and officiating sports at different times for kids 10 to 16. Some parents are going to do what they choose regardless of logical conversations.
You try and give the kids an opportunity to succeed even with the pressures their parents bring. But as far as some parents attitudes are concerned, it's like spitting into the wind.
In JBs case, he has been clear that Juli has been the parent handling Buddy's basketball opportunities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom