Matt Moyer to Vanderbilt | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer to Vanderbilt

Someone please to me how a second year coach at a small private school in the SEC with no elite b-ball history lands two top 10 players, including one (Simi) from way outside their recruiting area, and another 4-star recruit. It doesn’t add up at all. JB has a track record of 42 years as a HC fielding NCAA tourney teams almost every year at an elite program that he built, taking his teams far in the dance, winning championships and getting his players drafted by the NBA. And we play in the best b-ball conference in the country in one of the most iconic venues, and we rarely even try to compete for top 10 recruits anymore. What are we doing wrong here in selling this program? Why did we seem to fade away from recruiting Simi even before we landed Baze? (There must be something going on with his recruitment.) And how in gods green earth is Bryce Drew landing two top 10 guys at Vandy in his second year? It’s baffling. Is this a Book Richardson situation? I think that some coaches have long felt that his brother Scott was up to shady stuff at Baylor, so who knows.

I have a friend at work who went to Vandy despite the fact that he grew up a big SU fan. His parents and brothers went to SU and are huge fans. He told me that Vandy is “dropping the bags” for the big recruits. He flat out says that Bryce Drew pays for his boys.

yes, it makes sense and shows he was indeed serious about the academic part.
doing the math, matty's entering his junior year academically and should be eligible for the grad transfer route after playing a single season for the commodores

doing the math, matty's entering his junior year academically and should be eligible for the grad transfer route after playing a single season for the commodores
So, you're saying we would only lose him for two seasons? ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Vanderbilt wing Matthew Moyer received waiver and can play immediately. Transfer from Syracuse.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="">November 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How does that work? Why couldn’t Hughes get that waiver and play last year? Is this something new?

Maybe because he already lost a year with an injury?

Seems silly - but probably the most likely reason. As a player you can transfer whenever you want - completely within your control. I'm not sure why this warrants special consideration. Bryce Drew is magical!

He's pulling in some impressive last second signees (Garland, etc...) in recruiting and now this!

Thanks for merging this, mods - I did a search for Moyer but apparently I'm a bit slow today.

I just saw this on ESPN. How is this possible? Is it because of his redshirt year? I thought there had to be extenuating circumstances.

Sorry if this has already been posted and I missed it, but he played his first game at Vanderbilt on Friday. Had 5 pts and 8 rebounds in 15 minutes of action. Wish he would have been able to carve out a role here as he seemed like the anti-Taurean, great teammate and always played with a lot of fire.

Great kid. I'm glad he got immediate eligibility since he redshirted. Happy for the kid. Though let me just say that if he had come here that would have never happened.

Another BS move by the NCAA....like others have said, if he transferred here he would be sitting...why does the NCAA get away with their wishy washy way of policing things?

Might have come in handy?

Moyer-Vanderbilt

Pulled down 10 rebounds in collegiate debut against Cornell in the season opener ... Scored 11 points with seven rebounds against Toledo ... Totaled a season-high 18 points and added eight rebounds versus Connecticut ... Finished with 12 points and nine rebounds against Buffalo ... Recorded a double-double with 11 points and a career-high 13 rebounds in the ACC opener against Virginia Tech... Tallied 10 rebounds at Florida State ... Recorded a career-high in steals (3) and offensive rebounds (6) against the Seminoles ... Moyer missed the game at Pittsburgh after suffering an ankle injury against Boston College, but returned to the lineup at Georgia Tech.

Matthew Moyer - Men's Basketball - Vanderbilt University Athletics

Might have come in handy?

Moyer-Vanderbilt

Pulled down 10 rebounds in collegiate debut against Cornell in the season opener ... Scored 11 points with seven rebounds against Toledo ... Totaled a season-high 18 points and added eight rebounds versus Connecticut ... Finished with 12 points and nine rebounds against Buffalo ... Recorded a double-double with 11 points and a career-high 13 rebounds in the ACC opener against Virginia Tech... Tallied 10 rebounds at Florida State ... Recorded a career-high in steals (3) and offensive rebounds (6) against the Seminoles ... Moyer missed the game at Pittsburgh after suffering an ankle injury against Boston College, but returned to the lineup at Georgia Tech.

Matthew Moyer - Men's Basketball - Vanderbilt University Athletics

Could he play the 5?

Hughes, Marek, and Brissett would all be ahead of him at F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom