Matt Park | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll play along:

1. What if Pitt was healthy in the game at the Dome (the one in which we gagged away a nearly 20-point lead)?
2. What if NC State had their 2 best players available last Sunday?
3. Who's getting the majority of the minutes at PG and SG next year?
4. I honestly don't know offhand, but ignore Duke, UNC and UVa - what is our record against NC State, GT and Clemson since we joined the ACC?
5. Why would one expect Sidibe to be healthy? Because he had stayed healthy 1 of his first 3 years here?

It's all about taking advantage of opportunities. Expecting scholarship players to play isn't that outlandish.

I get all of that. The post seemed to suggest we are a blue blood and we are not and have never been close to being a blue blood.

Read Boeheim's book.

He concedes that in terms of recruiting, we have never effectively competed with NC or Duke.

People may find that there other ways to enjoy their free time.
The college experience, in the US, will change as a result of this. Kids and parents have figured out that they can get a degree without living on campus.
More employers will realize that the abilities of the candidate, rather than paper, is the most important. Kids can learn almost everything they need on YouTube.
Competency, rather than degrees, will be the currency. (Excepting fields for which employment is limited due to licensing requirements.)
This kid is the brother of my daughter’s former boyfriend. He figured out very early in college that he already knew the stuff he was being taught.

Each of those other programs will reload and be back next year. We’ve been on a downward trajectory, or stagnant, quickly nearing 10 years
10 years is not accurate. Really, about half of that.

If Bourama is healthy and Buddy didn't miss the Rutgers game we have 3 losses (Road Pittsburgh (maybe) Road Top 10 Virginia, and yesterday Road Clemson.

Have some perspective people. Benny coming in next year is a huge impact. We also need to attack the transfer market for a impact big man.

We will be better next season.
We still don’t have any guards and zero post players. We‘ll have Benny and pick up players from the YMCA.

It's all about taking advantage of opportunities. Expecting scholarship players to play isn't that outlandish.

So it works both ways, right? If so, we can't play the "what if" game regarding the absences of Sidibe or Buddy.

Chronic knee issues for a big man typically don't disappear. Expecting him to be healthy all year was folly, IMO. Of course, his absence was magnified by not having a viable Plan B...

Read Boeheim's book.

He concedes that in terms of recruiting, we have never effectively competed with NC or Duke.
I don't think we are a blue blood. I have always thought we were in the next level down from that. But success in recruiting is only one part of being a blue blood. At least to me. It's stature. It's how others look at you. It's your success. Schools like Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, Syracuse, despite success are not considered blue bloods.

It's clear Park realized that the anger from the fanbase is a bit more than he realized. I get he's trying to give people perspective and I thought his later comments were fine. But I think he got more anger than he probably expected or realized even existed. Not the worst thing -- thought the back and forth served a purpose and is good. People should expect more and we shouldn't lower our expectations.

I just think this is a unique situation with an old, stubborn coach who has done amazing things for the school and he's going to go out his way. It was always going to happen this way and it's going to be frustrating to watch. Hopefully we can piece together a special year next year and he goes out the way he should, gets 1000 wins again and we can transition.

It’s 7. I give a pass for the FF year. I think we win more games if JB isn’t suspended. The rest of those seasons were relatively crappy basketball.
Didn't we start off 25-0 in one of those years?

So it works both ways, right? If so, we can't play the "what if" game regarding the absences of Sidibe or Buddy.

Chronic knee issues for a big man typically don't disappear. Expecting him to be healthy all year was folly, IMO. Of course, his absence was magnified by not having a viable Plan B...

I didn't think his post was unreasonable. Buddy didn't play against Rutgers because of his governor.

The semi-viable plan b is in witness protection. Agree that Sidibe has been a bit of fool's gold.

Doesn't mean that we don't have our problems.

I didn't think his post was unreasonable. Buddy didn't play against Rutgers because of his governor.

The semi-viable plan b is in witness protection. Agree that Sidibe has been a bit of fool's gold.

Doesn't mean that we don't have our problems.
I thought we would have beat Rutgers with Buddy. I don't think that now. I find that interesting.

I don't know what Matt Park said, but whatever it was, it was part of doing his job. He is an employee of the school ... just as are all the other schools' broadcasters.
Paid, official spokes people of any organization need to do their jobs well as what comes out of their mouths or pens is representing the organization. Matt should be more thoughtful prior to commenting.

An issue is if JW forces out JB, he will incur the wrath of a large number of fans and donors. If he doesn’t, he will face apathy and disinterest of a large number of less passionate brand, many of whom he won’t get back.
The Buddy hate is wrong. He is a great #2 or #3. It’s not his fault we don’t have a #1. The vitriol is approaching Matt Roe levels.
Buddy may have enough credits to have his degree. It may be best that he and Jimmy go play together and JB steps aside.

I have no problem with anything Matt Park Tweeted.

Once again the answer is the most obvious one - we need better players.

If staff is no longer able to recruit, that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

That's only the symptom, not the actual problem.

10 years is not accurate. Really, about half of that.
Going on 10 years. We can site the final 4 but we all know how the state of recruiting and program health with probation has looked since the end of 2014.

An issue is if JW forces out JB, he will incur the wrath of a large number of fans and donors. If he doesn’t, he will face apathy and disinterest of a large number of less passionate brand, many of whom he won’t get back.
The Buddy hate is wrong. He is a great #2 or #3. It’s not his fault we don’t have a #1. The vitriol is approaching Matt Roe levels.
Buddy may have enough credits to have his degree. It may be best that he and Jimmy go play together and JB steps aside.
I can't see Buddy leaving unless a new coach comes in and tells him he won't play. Being in charge of something is about making the correct decisions and not worrying about whether it is popular. Presidents of the country have had to make decisions they knew weren't popular. I think a A.D. can. If he can't, we need a new A.D.. I know it wouldn't be easy. And if Jb could say, this coming year will be my last, we could all accept that. I hope we could anyway. But this can't go on. The older Jb gets, the worst it will get. Would any other school in the country hire Jb at this point?

Going on 10 years. We can site the final 4 but we all know how the state of recruiting and program health with probation has looked since the end of 2014.
That just isn't accurate. We were 34-3 in 2012. That was 9 years ago. We did go to the final four in 2013 and won some very big games in the regular season. And in 2014, we started 25-0. That is 7 years ago. Look, 7 years is bad. Let's not make it out that it is worse than it is. No one was talking in 2014 about how far our program had fallen.

of course, you guys are getting caught up in the bait...

Park said we shouldnt expect to MAKE the tourney 9 out of 10 years.
Not be a top seed every year.

MAKE the tourney. I’m not cool with that mindset.
I agree. But Matt is entitled to his opinion. As are we.

That just isn't accurate. We were 34-3 in 2012. That was 9 years ago. We did go to the final four in 2013 and won some very big games in the regular season. And in 2014, we started 25-0. That is 7 years ago. Look, 7 years is bad. Let's not make it out that it is worse than it is. No one was talking in 2014 about how far our program had fallen.
I say going on 10 years because there’s absolutely no reason anymore to convince ourselves it will get better imo. Sure, yes currently its 6 or 7 years. But whats our outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom