Matt Park | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Westwood One thinks he's pretty good. He does NCAA tourney games when CUSE does not make the big dance and goes to the NIT.
Westwood One & Learfield have a partnership that probably helps a ton in this regard. I also have never heard him on these broadcasts. Does he do this often?

Westwood One & Learfield have a partnership that probably helps a ton in this regard. I also have never heard him on these broadcasts. Does he do this often?
I have heard him when Cuse doesn’t make the NCAAs. They can use him because he doesn't have any Cuse game conflicts. I have heard Gary Cohen, the Mets broadcaster and Seton Hall broadcaster, too on NCAA Westwood games.

Logan was and is the gold standard for play by play here. I am still miffed why he got canned, and why he wasn't brought back after Dave Pasch left. And yes, Carl Eilenberg was a great PA announcer.

I sometimes watch the highlights with his play by play and you're 100% right. He hasn't figured out if he's the color man or the play by play guy and isn't really suited for either purpose.

That's because he's done too much TV.
A real radio guy knows you have to be the eyes of your audience.

Logan was and is the gold standard for play by play here. I am still miffed why he got canned, and why he wasn't brought back after Dave Pasch left. And yes, Carl Eilenberg was a great PA announcer.

Mareiness was the gold standard. Doug Logan was pretty good, but Joel was better.

Used to love Jim Ridlon on the football call with Doug. Solid call there with those two.

Doug was better at football than at hoops. I used to enjoy those two together, too.

Doug was better at football than at hoops. I used to enjoy those two together, too.
perhaps the weak link on the bball side of the broadcast was Steve Hyder and not logan?

While we're at it, do people remember Dave Cohen and Dale Drypoulcher doing TV football games that we were recorded and shown on Sunday mornings on PBS networks throughout NY State? My interest in SYR was because of those games that I watched as a kid on Sunday mornings on the PBS station out of Albany. My favorite players were DB "Fast Eddie" Koban from Bingo, DB Ike Bogosian (father of the current NHL star) from Watertown, RB Jaime Covington (played on Giants strike replacement team), WR Marcus Hackett, LB Tony Romano and QB Steve Peach and of course the Morris brothers, Joe, Mike and Larry.

Last edited:
perhaps the weak link on the bball side of the broadcast was Steve Hyder and not logan?

Could be. I was never that impressed with Hyder.

He is awful and at times his big ego comes through especially on the coaches show. I don't know how he keeps the job not only when you consider his terrible performance but also after the on the job DUI at the clemson game a few years back.

This thread is like the ones debating whether Carl Eilenberg was a good PA announcer a few years ago. If we're winning, who cares?
That's just the thing. With Matt, you don't always know who is winning.
Fwiw, I don't think he is awful at calling hoops. But, it can definitely be frustrating to think it's a one possession game and find out we're down 7 or 8 points because he failed to mention the other team hit 3 straight 3s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom