Matthew Moyer | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Can't wait to root for this kid. He has worked so hard. His midrange looks great (although no defender on him) thinking he plays a much bigger role for us then a lot of people think.
He'll play that bigger role because of the experience and strength he gained last year which puts him ahead of the incoming freshman. His knowledge of the zone alone puts him one step ahead.

On a slow Summer Tuesday I went back and watched some of the H.S. tapes of the players coming in as well as the first year guys. After watching a few I came upon Matthew Moyer and I must say I've never realized what a beast this kid is. If you watch his H.S. tapes the first thing that jumps out is his aggressiveness to the rim. When he enters the paint he essentially wants to dunk over everyone and steal their girlfriends later that night :) Reminds me of how Hakim Warrick attacked the rim his Sophomore year. Good news is that he has a nice shooting stroke too so he'll be going to the line many times. He also has a very good handle for a big man as well as a good passing eye. Sometimes it easy to sleep on someone that red shirted but watching his H.S. videos has me very optimistic about the upcoming year. I'm glad expectations are low this year because personally I think the 17-18 squad will play very good defense and have enough offensive weapons to beat the top teams.

On a slow Summer Tuesday I went back and watched some of the H.S. tapes of the players coming in as well as the first year guys. After watching a few I came upon Matthew Moyer and I must say I've never realized what a beast this kid is. If you watch his H.S. tapes the first thing that jumps out is his aggressiveness to the rim. When he enters the paint he essentially wants to dunk over everyone and steal their girlfriends later that night :) Reminds me of how Hakim Warrick attacked the rim his Sophomore year. Good news is that he has a nice shooting stroke too so he'll be going to the line many times. He also has a very good handle for a big man as well as a good passing eye. Sometimes it easy to sleep on someone that red shirted but watching his H.S. videos has me very optimistic about the upcoming year. I'm glad expectations are low this year because personally I think the 17-18 squad will play very good defense and have enough offensive weapons to beat the top teams.
Oh, yeah. That struck me, as well. How he attacked the rim with such ferocity and had a bit of junkyard dog in him, competitiveness-wise, and then looked so 'sweet' in off-court pix. Jekyl and Hyde. Can't wait to see the monster. ["That's what she said.']

I keep watching his videos and while he looks active I just don't see his game translating to this level well at all.

Every time he goes up for a dunk it's like it's in slow motion and I don't think D1 defenders are going to be as slow to react as the competition he has in the videos and if he didn't improve his shot drastically since he arrived last year I don't think he'll have a huge impact for us.

I really hope to be wrong about this and it looks like this kid puts work in, but just looking at the videos again it looks like he had a long way to go. If he's strictly a 4, then he's really in trouble.

Well, yes and no. I agree that they don't mean that you are a good shooter. But if you miss most of them, it might very well mean you aren't a good shooter.
It means you are a good shooter. It doesn't mean you are a good player.

I keep watching his videos and while he looks active I just don't see his game translating to this level well at all.

Every time he goes up for a dunk it's like it's in slow motion and I don't think D1 defenders are going to be as slow to react as the competition he has in the videos and if he didn't improve his shot drastically since he arrived last year I don't think he'll have a huge impact for us.

I really hope to be wrong about this and it looks like this kid puts work in, but just looking at the videos again it looks like he had a long way to go. If he's strictly a 4, then he's really in trouble.

Hopefully, the physical improvements he's made this past year will help that explosiveness.

I feel like he could be a Kevin Jones (West Virginia) type player for us. Not overly athletic but with a good motor who can do a bit of everything, and being that I really wanted Jones at Syracuse I would be happy if that's Moyer's upside.

Matt's shot mechanics look completely retooled. My biggest concerns are size and speed. I think he will bring tremendous energy and will be a solid 4 year contributor.
Love how the step back looks. He's in great shape.

I feel like he could be a Kevin Jones (West Virginia) type player for us. Not overly athletic but with a good motor who can do a bit of everything, and being that I really wanted Jones at Syracuse I would be happy if that's Moyer's upside.

Kevin Jones was a fantastic college player. All of us would sign up for that, as that is very optimistic.

Your concerns are warranted but he's a 20 year old freshman. He will know the zone well and know what's expected of him offensively. I expect him to be a heady player, who brings some of that Devo-tude to the court on both ends. Yes, his quickness is not ideal but he's improved in that area.

He will be a solid contributor and will give everything he's got. That counts for a lot.

Last edited:
I think he looks great in these workout vids, where no one ever seems to miss. Let's hope it translates to games.

Big difference in his form from 2 years ago as a recruit is more of what looks promising.

Big difference in his form from 2 years ago as a recruit is more of what looks promising.

No doubt. His form was herky jerky. He's cleaned up his handle too.

It'll be interesting to see how he does as a tweener. I guess he will wind up at the 3 but will he have the foot speed? When I met him in May of 2015 he had to lose a good chunk of baby fat. Now that he's done that, I hope he has the ability to take guys off the dribble.

Matt will be playing with a major chip on his shoulder. People are doubting him after the redshirt. He will use that to fuel him. We will see how he does.

I really hope Moyer can make the jump and be a sizeable contributor. I know there are questions to his game along the lines of shooting, handle and shot selection but as the guy most likely to be an animated leader - having your vocal leader be a major contributor can only push his value up. It's been a while since we had a true leader type (Mike and Trevor did well but were more by seniority than anything). That element can't be understated in what it can bring to a team. It also could bring chemistry and speed up the teams growth to raise the ceiling higher in a year where nothing is expected.

Really rooting for Moyer to be good. He's probably already my favorite player just because how much he love it here.

Me too. Have no idea what to expect. I could see good or bad. He has a weird frame/body type, IMO. Certainly rooting for him like you said. He's clearly one of the good guys you want on a college team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom