Matthew Moyer | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

From his Snapchat story. This is what we like to see hopefully he continues to grow and it translate to oncourt success.

Dang! I wonder what a guy like White shoots on those things?

If he can be NEARLY as effective around the arc as junior CJ Fair was I think this could be a tough team.

He certainly will not have the opposition's defense keying on him the way Senior Fair did.

Agreed. One of the reasons Fair shot so well as a junior was be cause he only took really good looks from 3. Shot selection can make an average shooter appear to be much better. AW3 shot 40% and many of those were well defended.

Agreed. One of the reasons Fair shot so well as a junior was be cause he only took really good looks from 3. Shot selection can make an average shooter appear to be much better. AW3 shot 40% and many of those were well defended.

Andrew White's 40% shooting from 3 was very impressive in my opinion because he maintained the percentage on a very high volume of shot attempts, and as you said, many (most?) of them were well defended.

Andrew White's 40% shooting from 3 was very impressive in my opinion because he maintained the percentage on a very high volume of shot attempts, and as you said, many (most?) of them were well defended.

For sure. I was blown away often at how White over and over drilled contested shots. There was a similar tune, IMO, with Cooney. Lots of contested shots but he missed more of them. Obviously White is a better shooter but I worry about the staff being able to draw up open looks for any shooters we have. Seems like an systemic epidemic if you ask me.

For sure. I was blown away often at how White over and over drilled contested shots. There was a similar tune, IMO, with Cooney. Lots of contested shots but he missed more of them. Obviously White is a better shooter but I worry about the staff being able to draw up open looks for any shooters we have. Seems like an systemic epidemic if you ask me.

Yes, major concern. But then again, we don't know what we will get from so many guys. Maybe it's too early to say what kind of players/ shooters a lot of these guys are.

Yah, the epidemic is called, not having any beefy low post guys that can score on the low block. Jump-shooting teams are forced to take contested shots because, without low post scoring, they have no choice. Unless they have NBA-quality guards that can get to the rim at will (MR and MCW come to mind), they're unbalanced and one-dimensional. I mean, the last few yeas it's been so bad that I could draw up our opponents' defensive game plan: pack the lane and FG the shooters. Outmuscle our "center" for the inevitable misses. W.

Last edited:
Yah, the epidemic is called, not having any beefy low post guys that can score on the low block. Jump-shooting teams are forced to take contested shots because, without low post scoring, they have no choice. Unless they have NBA-quality guards that can get to the rim at will (MR and MCW come to mind), they're unbalanced and one-dimensional. I mean, the last few yeas it's been so bad that I could draw up our opponents' defensive game plan: pack the lane and FG the shooters. Outmuscle our "center" for the inevitable misses. W.

Oh the lack of post scoring and unbalanced teams are factors. But we see teams who have those same problems generate way more motion and can free up shooters all the time. Usually those mid-majors who earn a win or two every year in the Tourney by just running their stuff against more 'talented' teams.

The poor defense lead to less fast break opportunities. When Syracuse is good on offense they get points out of the zone because of blocks and steals. I don't think the defense will be worse then last season unless Thompson plays defense with the same indifference that he did last year. With the athletes on next year's team hopefully someone can step up and run the point. Howard made some absolutely terrible decisions on the break last season. This team will not be filled with shooter so they need to step up the D to get easy points.

Oh the lack of post scoring and unbalanced teams are factors. But we see teams who have those same problems generate way more motion and can free up shooters all the time. Usually those mid-majors who earn a win or two every year in the Tourney by just running their stuff against more 'talented' teams.
And that's exactly the point -- they earn a win or two --- when/if they light it up from outside. But when the 3's don't drop, they've got nothing else. BC (although they have a 7 footer) has been in that position, because their inside guy isn't really a scorer. Same with ND last year .. shooters and a 6'7 guy inside. Not a recipe' for long-term success, unless you have amazingly talented guards that can get to the rim and create/distribute in the lane. That hasn't been us since Malachai left (and even then, we struggled for most of the season before making an awesome tourney run).

It's not like the staff hasn't been trying. We had a deep front court last year until a bunch of injuries happened. MM went down. Then Coleman's knees went, and our 7'2 guy lost sight in one eye. That's THREE front line casualties in one year -- really unfortunate for the team and those players.

We might finally have a healthy front line this year. I'm not projecting major low-block scoring. But we'll get SOME points in the paint and we'll have a better chance of rebounding misses than we've had in several years. The main problems are inexperience, lack of strength/beef and PIP. We have some depth at forward (MM, Dolezaj, Brissett and TT when he's not playing C), we have decent length and we have some athleticism. So let's see how JB puts this puzzle together. Obviously, I prefer (if it works) Sidibe/Chukwu at C, TT at PF and the best of the other three at SF. With Thorpe/Battle up top, that would give us 4 scorers and a big rolling to the rim. We'll see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom