Maybe 15-20% of me... | Syracusefan.com

Maybe 15-20% of me...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...wishes that we'd gone to the title game last night instead of scalping our pair of Section 103 seats for $300 right after we lost on Saturday.

I can just see it now. When I have kids, they'll say: "Dad, where were you when Villanova hit the shot at the buzzer to win the National Championship?"
And I'll reply: "Watching the game in a hotel room in bed on my iPhone, because we sold our tickets to a scalper because Daddy's school lost in the National Semifinals"

We were committed to staying until Tuesday regardless, because the fare back to Philly was much cheaper on Tuesday morning. We are flying out of Austin on a 6am flight, so it would have been a drive all night after the game to go straight to the airport.
We obviously would have done it had SU beaten Carolina, but we didn't feel like missing a night's sleep just to see another team cut down the nets.

Am I crazy for scalping the tickets? We got $300 for the pair and for a grad student who already shelled out a lot for an impromptu trip to Houston, that makes a big difference.
Other family members are already laughing at us for missing an all time classic game, but in my defense, what were the chances the game would end like that, and two, once your team's out you really don't feel like seeing another team win it all.

Thoughts? It's early and I'm clearly just trying to rationalize that I just had a chance to witness one of the all time great endings in sports and missed it.
Any other SU fans do the same thing in Houston and have similar Tuesday morning thoughts?

If only that had been us. What a game.

Last edited:
I would have sold the tickets, but I am long past watching non-SU teams play. Oh, I might catch parts of games here and there, but I don't watch from tip off to buzzer like I used to. Just does not interest me anymore.
I would sooner watch a premier league game.

...wishes that we'd gone to the title game last night instead of scalping our pair of Section 103 seats for $300 right after we lost on Saturday.

I can just see it now. When I have kids, they'll say: "Dad, where were you when Villanova hit the shot at the buzzer to win the National Championship?"
And I'll reply: "Watching the game in a hotel room in bed on my iPhone, because we sold our tickets to a scalper because Daddy's school lost in the National Semifinals"

We were committed to staying until Tuesday regardless, because the fare back to Philly was much cheaper on Tuesday morning. We are flying out of Austin on a 6am flight, so it would have been a drive all night after the game to go straight to the airport.
We obviously would have done it had SU beaten Carolina, but we didn't feel like missing a night's sleep just to see another team cut down the nets.

Am I crazy for scalping the tickets? We got $300 for the pair and for a grad student who already shelled out a lot for an impromptu trip to Houston, that makes a big difference.
Other family members are already laughing at us for missing an all time classic game, but in my defense, what were the chances the game would end like that, and two, once your team's out you really don't feel like seeing another team win it all.

Thoughts? It's early and I'm clearly just trying to rationalize that I just had a chance to witness one of the all time great endings in sports and missed it.
Any other SU fans do the same thing in Houston and have similar Tuesday morning thoughts?

It was us, just the wrong side: 1987

Did the same thing in 2013 after we lost to Michigan. Needed the money and couldn't give a crap about Louisville-Michigan. Not as great of a finish but still a good game. I had some people ask me why I didn't go but I felt the reason was justified.

Last edited:
Friend of mine here in Syracuse went and had the same back and forth decision to make. He and his family decided to go to the game and he said it was a great decision and the best non-SU he had ever seen. He said the atmosphere was absolutely amazing and since it was his first F4 ever he'll never miss another one that SU is part of.

I probably would have sold them, but would have gone to a bar to watch the game instead of sitting at the hotel watching on the phone.

not at all. I did the same in Atlanta. to watch another team cut down the nets, no way

There is no right answer. Are you a college basketball fan and not just an SU college basketball fan? Other factors include money and seat location. I, personally, would have gone to the game because I love college basketball and you had good seats.

It could be worse. You could have left the game early and missed the ending.

I flew in for the Final Four and crashed with a close friend who I went to 'Cuse with. After the loss, we were discussing whether or not to go Monday. I was leaning away from it and said I'd rather just hang out somewhere and drink. He said it's a national title game, you're in town, and you can go relatively cheap (we ended up spending $75 each for 300 level corners). Since he really wanted to go and I was just leaning away, I said sure let's do it.

I owe him one. A big one. From now on, I'd always do the same thing in this scenario - try to spend a reasonable amount for a middle of the road seat. In this case, being an underdog all tournament, it wasn't too painful to watch, so I enjoyed seeing one of the all-time greatest games. If it is a year when it's more painful, it also makes the future successes mean that much more... kind of like the players who watch the winning team celebrate to motivate themselves for next year.

Did the same thing in 2013 after we lost to Michigan. Needed the money and couldn't give a crap about Louisville-Michigan. Not as great of a finish but still a good game. I had some people ask me why I didn't go but I felt the reason was justified.

Did the same and just skipped out of town.

I gave my section 102 seats to one of my staff. He's a UNC fan. Don't regret it.

Great minds think alike. I did exactly the same thing. He went with his son and they had a good couple hours after being in a rough patch over the past year or two. I don't regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom