maybe people forgot but there was a guy named mike hopkins that used to work here | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

maybe people forgot but there was a guy named mike hopkins that used to work here

Only reason I could see Hop coming back would be like Roy Williams in 2003.
It’s his Alma mater and we put the full court press and do everything short of bending the knee and begging. Then Hop might have his emotions tugged to the degree he can’t say no.

However honestly I don’t think SU AD will do that and I don’t know Hop but he seems like an extremely loyal dude and Washington has been good to him.
I don’t think he is the next HC but if the next HC struggled maybe we could Roy Williams beg him.

Remember Roy turned down UNC the first time in 2001. He wanted to coach Henrich and Collison and didn’t leave Kansas till they graduated.

Yeah and UNC hired Matt Doherty, who had an 8-20 season.

Though Doherty also recruited the Felton, McCants, May class that carried them to a National title in Roy’s 2nd year.

If Hop said he'd come back for the 2020-202+ season, would you give JB the boot after this season?

I would drive him to the retirement home. We are all thankful for everything that he has done and it has been wonderful but things are bad, have been bad and I just can not believe they are going to get better as is.

Well his wife is from here. That is my hope.
It's our only hope. That and I believe Hop is not a fan of the current administration which showed him no love.

I will say this, we need a guy like Hop to get our talent level back to Syracuse standards. BUT I'm not sold on his skills as a bench coach just yet. He's building his resume largely on a PAC-12 diet vs PAC-12 coaches. Then again, JB had a reputation in the 80s as having lots of talent and not knowing what to do with it. And that turned out ok. So I'm on record as saying talent first, ask questions later.

JB will never ask Hop to return because he thinks he can Coach for another 10 years. At some point, this administration has to say enough is enough and make a change. This team is heading for another 15+ loss season, which Wildhack must think is ok.

It's our only hope. That and I believe Hop is not a fan of the current administration which showed him no love.

I will say this, we need a guy like Hop to get our talent level back to Syracuse standards. BUT I'm not sold on his skills as a bench coach just yet. He's building his resume largely on a PAC-12 diet vs PAC-12 coaches. Then again, JB had a reputation in the 80s as having lots of talent and not knowing what to do with it. And that turned out ok. So I'm on record as saying talent first, ask questions later.

His first year he took over for a 9 win team that lost the number one pick in the draft, lost a few from transfers and had many decommits and ended up winning coach of the year and then wins it again in his second season.

His first year he took over for a 9 win team that lost the number one pick in the draft, lost a few from transfers and had many decommits and ended up winning coach of the year and then wins it again in his second season.
Again I get it. I just don’t know how well that translates to the east coast. I don’t care if he can coach honestly. I want him back.

I like Hop, but he is currently competing in the PAC12, not the ACC. Nuff said.

I don’t think Hop comes back. But I hope he does.

Isn't there family issues he's dealing with which were a big reason to go west coast? if it's a basketball decision then there isn't a decision he'll come back.

Just a gut feel but I think the transition here will be quite uncomfortable. Unless there is a major health issue JB isn’t walking away so the administration will have to force his hand.

Would we better off with Hop as HC right now? How would things be all that different? Would he have kept the assistants? Or cleaned house? What was the reason why recruiting dipped when the JB retirement was announced despite Hop still being here? Why did our recruiting shift from Baltimore and Philly to New England while Hop was still here?

Our fans HATED Mike Hopkins in 2016 after his .500 cameo. His support was nonexistent. I remember saying something in Chicago to the effect of 'well hes 1 for 1 years he has coached making a Final Four' after the UVA game and got pissed off ugly looks. Dig up some of those posts and see for yourself noone wanted him and all wanted to go outside the program for Wright/Bennett.

He'd likely be fired by now if he was given the job as promised. One average year and he'd be viewed as another Brad Doreghty. People only like him because he has won at UW.

Just a gut feel but I think the transition here will be quite uncomfortable. Unless there is a major health issue JB isn’t walking away so the administration will have to force his hand.

3 more years after this. Only 4-5 if he has a dominant team after Buddy.

Its pretty cut and dry. I think he knows replacing him is a big task. I think he will step aside if UW are having a bad year and he can talk Hop into returning. If not I think he lets Wildhack go outside the program knowing the jobs reopening in 2 years most likely.

This isn't an issue. Its can we win if he doesn't get lucky and land a couple Isaiah Jackson type recruits before he leaves.

Anybody who thinks the transition into the Syracuse job would have been easy and smooth as the UW job is fooling themselves.

not taking a position on this but its an overstatement.

Isn't there family issues he's dealing with which were a big reason to go west coast? if it's a basketball decision then there isn't a decision he'll come back.

His father is ailing.

When he took the UW job Hop said he always wanted to build his own thing, just like his mentor did. So now he's building his own thing. It's not just the fan base and administration who love him, the community is all in, too. People love his enthusiasm, it's contagious and it's something that JB doesn't exactly have in abundance. He's (relatively) young with fresh ideas and a ton of energy that's translating to his players.

As for the conference, it only takes a few good coaches to turn enough teams around to make it a respectable league. Oregon is already pretty good, Cronin took the UCLA job, there's at least a glimmer the league could get better. Also, the Pacific Northwest is a very hard place to leave. Why would he bolt on an up and coming program in a league he can dominate for a long time in a beautiful place to live for a program on the obvious downturn that at best is in the second tier in the ACC? Because he's got memories and loyalty? BFD. Nothing wins like winning and he's going to do a whole lot of that at UW.

When he took the UW job Hop said he always wanted to build his own thing, just like his mentor did. So now he's building his own thing. It's not just the fan base and administration who love him, the community is all in, too. People love his enthusiasm, it's contagious and it's something that JB doesn't exactly have in abundance. He's (relatively) young with fresh ideas and a ton of energy that's translating to his players.

As for the conference, it only takes a few good coaches to turn enough teams around to make it a respectable league. Oregon is already pretty good, Cronin took the UCLA job, there's at least a glimmer the league could get better. Also, the Pacific Northwest is a very hard place to leave. Why would he bolt on an up and coming program in a league he can dominate for a long time in a beautiful place to live for a program on the obvious downturn that at best is in the second tier in the ACC? Because he's got memories and loyalty? BFD. Nothing wins like winning and he's going to do a whole lot of that at UW.

People say things when they're hired. I remember a certain coach calling Syracuse his dream job.

There is but his father is in Southern California I believe so it's not like he's driving there. He's about as close to his dad currently as Syracuse is to Disney. 2.5hr direct flight is certainly easier that a 6hr one with a stop somewhere.

I do not see him coming back.

Why would he?

Do you know how much he is making?

Do you know how much lower JB's salary is compared to CBB coaches of a similar level? The Cuse has been enjoying a home town discount from JB for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom